Human Demos - March 25, 1991
14. Flattening Of Emotion [demo]
15. Lack of Comprehension [demo]
16. Suicide Machine [demo]
17. Together As One [demo]
18. See Through Dreams [demo]
19. Secret Face [instrumental version] [demo]
20. Vacant Planets [instrumental version] [demo]

Human is the fourth entry in Death's discography after the success of their previous classic death metal albums.

In this album, Death managed to write a very heavy, fast and complex album yet keep it very atmospheric and emotional. The blend of crushing guitar riffs and very short melodic riffs in songs like "Flattening Of Emotions" and "Lack Of Comprehension" creates a very intense emotional atmosphere. The solos on this album are absolutely mind blowing; especially in songs like "Suicide Machine" where there is a build up followed by a sudden, unpredicted and fast solo. The only relatively lacking song on this album is "See Through Dreams" which can get a bit repetitive; however is still excellent in its own rights, especially that it has a very excellent solo and excellent riffing.

Compared to Death's previous albums, this album is more technical and has some progressive elements. Also, the band's sound changed noticeably as it moved to a more modern, refined sound compared to their early old school, thrashy sound. Chuck Schuldiner decided to move away from lyrics talking about zombies, diseases and anti-religion to lyrics dealing with the human emotions and struggles. Although he does touch on the topic of suicide and terminal illness again in the song "Suicide Machine" which is a throwback to the Leprosy album. In a 1991 interview with Schuldiner during the Human European promotional tour, he stated that he did not want to put a limit on himself lyrically and that he wanted to translate his personal outlook on life into his music in a form people could relate to.

The lineup on this album is comprised of very talented musicians including the brilliant bassist Steve DiGiorgio (co-founder of Sadus), Cynic's founders Paul Masvidal on guitar and Sean Reinert on drums, and of course the mastermind Chuck Schuldiner on guitar.

Overall, this album is easily one of the greatest death metal albums of all time with its originality, technicality and atmosphere.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Buzz619 | 04.05.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Yanko
Rating:
There it is the turning point in the career of Death. The most controversial album of the all - is it death metal, or is it thrash metal. Many people claim it is true death metal, but the only way they would convince me is play me the album, recorded on a low-fi MC, which has been re-recorded numerous times.

However, I call it thrash, because Chuck has never quite been a death metal vocalist, after all nobody calls Sepultura's "Chaos A.D." death metal, despite Max Cavalera's very convincing throat. One thing is sure, though, this is a back to the roots album with many of death metal's ingredients present on two or three songs, but not more. It is heavy, slow at moments and very metal. This is true metal in fact. The deep, thick sound is there and if it weren't for the fast and extremely technical performance of this inexhaustible source of guitar inspiration, flowing like a stream into his music and into the hearts, minds and souls of many musicians and fans for the coming times.

Read more ››
published 15.09.2003 | Comments (21)

Guest review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Human is one of only a handful of albums in the history of heavy metal that fundamentally altered the genre's future in ways possibly not even entirely imaginable. It's difficult to describe in words the exact impact this incredible slab of 90s death metal had, but I'll do my best.

Human can be taken as the mark in Death's career where the songwriting and overall composition really started to become more evolved, so to speak. Up until this point, Death had more or less been within the same style as a lot of early death metal bands (Obituary, Possessed, Morbid Angel, etc), albeit with the vocals being a tad less guttural. But Chuck, always a dedicated and talented musician prone to musical progression, then took it upon himself to bring in similar musicians who shared his virtuosity to accomplish the next step in his musical journey. Said musicians were Sean Reinert on drums and Paul Masvidal on guitar (both of future Cynic fame), as well as the almighty Steve DiGiorgio on bass. Armed with a new and highly talented lineup, Chuck set about writing the now-legendary Human.

Read more ››
published 28.03.2012 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 108 users
04.05.2016 - 19:11
Korah

Good review but for me, if you put 10 everywhere, the final rating is...oh wait : 10!
----
Don't cry for my English
05.05.2016 - 19:06
Rating: 10
The Galactician

Still my favorite Death album. Had the great pleasure of seeing them live the year this record came out, then again for Individual Thought Patterns. The songs were every bit as good on stage as they were recorded.

Chuck was quite the visionary songwriter.
07.05.2016 - 21:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Korah on 04.05.2016 at 19:11

Good review but for me, if you put 10 everywhere, the final rating is...oh wait : 10!

I agree about if and same time good example that band can change sound, go progress way and DONT SUCK
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5909 | This month: 14