Release date: 23 September 2016
Style: Melodic death metal

Owners:

648 have it
79 want it

Guest review by
R.Baldur
Rating:
When Insomnium announced the release of an album called Winter's Gate, I thought this Finnish band would naturally have audible elements from the winter season; but when they explained the subject of the album in interviews, I wondered at what cost this change in content would come. The theme that Winter's Gate addresses is "a group of Vikings who set out to find a fabled island west of Ireland, despite the treacherous winter drawing near." I concluded that I would then hear Viking metal that deals with the stereotypical stories of the Asgardians. But Winter's Gate was not at all like this?

Read more ››
published 22.07.2017 | Comments (3)

Found in 98 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 138   Visited by: 2305 users
19.05.2016 - 22:40
Rating: 7
FeskarN

This will be one song of 40 minutes! that's crazy!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
19.05.2016 - 23:29
Rating: 10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by FeskarN on 19.05.2016 at 22:40

Damn, that's pretty unusual for Insomnium. Pretty excited to hear this, but I feel I will be disappointed.
20.05.2016 - 01:40
EduardoZamarro

Written by LeKiwi on 19.05.2016 at 23:29

Damn, that's pretty unusual for Insomnium. Pretty excited to hear this, but I feel I will be disappointed.

I got the exactly same feeling. Hoping I'm totally wrong.
20.05.2016 - 02:00
Jannik

Quote:
40-minute-melodeath song produced by dan swanö

aka: crimson 3?
20.05.2016 - 02:32
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Jannik on 20.05.2016 at 02:00

Quote:

Lol, if only.
21.05.2016 - 22:17
Kimakaze

Looking forward to this
22.05.2016 - 15:35
s_t_s

Good news and I'm feeling pretty confident as the band grows better and better with each new album.
27.05.2016 - 08:14
Morbidron
Account deleted
At fucking last... it's time for a proper album! Not the shite ones that have been voted thus far...
16.06.2016 - 13:48
hamG

Uh oh, i was excited they are churning out another CD so quickly but these single song albums tend to always miss the mark for me. A song longer than 7-8 minutes needs to be tremendous otherwise patience fails and i will skip it.
20.06.2016 - 13:46
lemme

Written by Jannik on 20.05.2016 at 02:00

Quote:

Yes please
12.09.2016 - 19:01
Rating: 8
Liafev

Arf .. Never liked that kind of looong tracks so much. I'd rather have it cut in at least 4-5 tracks, to be one part only.
Still, this is Insomnium and I already know I'll listen to this one a million times.
22.09.2016 - 16:38
s_t_s

Know it has leaked even tho I haven't been able to download it yet, what do you think about it ?
22.09.2016 - 18:13
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Liafev on 12.09.2016 at 19:01

Arf .. Never liked that kind of looong tracks so much. I'd rather have it cut in at least 4-5 tracks, to be one part only.
Still, this is Insomnium and I already know I'll listen to this one a million times.

Don't worry guys, this is not like one song on entire disk, it has been separated into 7 parts during quieter moments... Winter's Tale pt.1, Winter's Tale pt.2... so, yeah, you will be able to skip around

Written by s_t_s on 22.09.2016 at 16:38

Know it has leaked even tho I haven't been able to download it yet, who what do you think about it ?

Just listening it (half way through) and I love what I hear....very atmospheric with beautiful melodies. Great melodic DM release!
23.09.2016 - 01:29
Aker

This is going to be very high in album of the year. First listening and enjoying!!
23.09.2016 - 09:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I never thought I'd be this impressed with Insomnium ever again...a very welcome surprise! Doesn't get boring for one minute and is a truly dynamic song with adventurous moments outside of the band's usual flair of melodeath. Will definitely be spamming this for the weeks to come!
23.09.2016 - 11:12
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Why do people still find so much enjoyment in such a stale genre? I havent listened to this, but I still bet that it sounds exactly the same like their other albums. Maybe with different melodies, but its still boring, predictable melodic death(?)metal.
23.09.2016 - 11:34
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 23.09.2016 at 11:12

Why do people still find so much enjoyment in such a stale genre? I havent listened to this, but I still bet that it sounds exactly the same like their other albums. Maybe with different melodies, but its still boring, predictable melodic death(?)metal.

That's always tough to answer, every genre has good and bad stuff. Insomnium's previous album is easily their most popular one, probably because they made new fans with it. I've read these people commenting they didn't believe this kind of music [Shadows of the Dying Sun] could have an impact in a certain atmospheric way.

As for this album's music, on the surface it's definitely nothing groundbreakingly new, though there's occasionally some more uncharacteristic riffing and atmosphere. I really like it, which is no surprise since Insomnium are excellent melody writers and have an ear for keeping it interesting. They also manage to pull it off in a way it actually sounds like one 40 minute piece. That alone is quite something.
23.09.2016 - 11:56
s_t_s

I have only listened to it once and I guess I need to listen to the whole thing again in a row. Yet I like the sound of it as it sounds darker and faster than their "usual" stuff. Won't call it best album of the year tho but I need to listen to it again for sure !
23.09.2016 - 12:00
Rating: 9
robpal
Proglord
So much better than the previous one which was uninspired and repetitive (although correct).
Winter's Gate is shorter, more focused, very atmospheric with plenty of memorable passages. Thumbs up!
23.09.2016 - 12:13
Paz

Written by robpal on 23.09.2016 at 12:00

Winter's Gate is shorter, more focused, very atmospheric with plenty of memorable passages.

I'm expecting nothing less than Crimson-esque stuff...

Wait, I'm probably just dreaming.
23.09.2016 - 12:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I entertained 20 minutes of this. Tbh it was like 20 minutes of cum-shots. Everyone likes a good cum-shot every now and then but pretty quickly you want a bit of build up and variety. Way too saccharine and empty for me (I haven't bothered with this band in as long as I can remember so can't compare what I heard to previous things).
23.09.2016 - 12:22
Rating: 9
robpal
Proglord
Written by Paz on 23.09.2016 at 12:13

I'm expecting nothing less than Crimson-esque stuff...
If your expectations are not too high, you're definitely going to enjoy this one. Nothing groundbreaking here, just an excellent MDM album.
23.09.2016 - 12:54
Paz

Written by Guest on 23.09.2016 at 12:21

Everyone likes a good cum-shot

If I'd be a girl I wasn't be so sure

Written by robpal on 23.09.2016 at 12:22

If your expectations are not too high, you're definitely going to enjoy this one. Nothing groundbreaking here, just an excellent MDM album.

We'll see.
23.09.2016 - 13:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 23.09.2016 at 12:54

If I'd be a girl I wasn't be so sure

True
23.09.2016 - 13:29
Daniell
_爱情_

You could ask this question about anything else that you do not enjoy, but others do. Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you that MDM is a spent subgenre that is going nowhere. But even within the confines of such a limited envoronment there are bands that shine. For me it's Bel'akor. They simply write good songs.
23.09.2016 - 13:40
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Risto on 23.09.2016 at 11:34

That's always tough to answer, every genre has good and bad stuff. Insomnium's previous album is easily their most popular one, probably because they made new fans with it. I've read these people commenting they didn't believe this kind of music [Shadows of the Dying Sun] could have an impact in a certain atmospheric way.

As for this album's music, on the surface it's definitely nothing groundbreakingly new, though there's occasionally some more uncharacteristic riffing and atmosphere. I really like it, which is no surprise since Insomnium are excellent melody writers and have an ear for keeping it interesting. They also manage to pull it off in a way it actually sounds like one 40 minute piece. That alone is quite something.

Insomnium might be excellent melody writers but they still dont know how to make interesting songs (for me at least). They can change the atmosphere, write different melodies, but it still sounds predictable and boring. Excellent melody writers is questionable anyway. I want surprises in my melodies and fresh stuff. Crimson or tales from the thousand lakes come to mind. Both albums have melodies that have character to them and offer something different. Thats why they still sound so good and always will do, simply because they cant be compared to anything else. Insomnium are great from a technical point but they are still just one of the typical finnish melodic death bands.
23.09.2016 - 14:32
The Melting Snow

After first listen, i'm in awe. I really enjoyed the album. It's much more diverse than their previous efforts. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I felt a very clear touch of black and death metal in some riffs, and towards the end there were a couple of doom-ish leads.

Their last album came out just two years ago, and such a major change in style and song structure so soon show the creative power of the guys.
23.09.2016 - 16:09
FYA
Destroyer
Way fucking better than previous album!
23.09.2016 - 16:38
kkiu

I am sad that this album has an end. It's 40 minutes of non-stop pleasure.

No rating yet as I prefer to listen to it multiple times first.
23.09.2016 - 16:44
Pikemaster

Written by FYA on 23.09.2016 at 16:09

Way fucking better than previous album!

I totally agree. Much better in terms of songwriting and creativity.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"

Hits total: 54975 | This month: 102