Metal Storm logo
Rush - These prog rock legends!

Original post

Posted by Anathemani@c, 25.03.2007 - 13:31
Rush are the first to play prog rock in that way.. I think you all know their offer to rock and even metal music world! Especially their alboum "2112" and "Power Windows" are simply great progressive rock alboums.. Share your views with me please!
09.09.2007 - 18:53
baldur
well when im putting the album into my player im instantly happy and calm it always reminds me of a sunny day at a lake where i chill and drink beer especially the first track far cry reminds me of this
the second track armor and sword makes me think of god and the earth such things you know the same things with the other tracks i do also like the 3 instrumental songs which are very great even without the beautiful voice of geddy lee and they couldnt have taken a better ending song then we hold on for the album

i dont know the whole atmosphere is just awesome
09.09.2007 - 22:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Strange how Far Cry would make one think of a sunny day at the lake drinking beer...Rush songs for me never do this...Rush only makes me think of things going on with our society...later Rush musically is quite relaxing because of it's confident maturity and the band really sounding so tight due to being together for so long and being so comfortable with each other...

A lot of people I know badmouth Rush...it's just sad...
10.09.2007 - 18:17
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
@Kap'n Korrupt
Man only bitches bad mouth Rush, they are one of the legendary bands, that have managed to stick together all these long years.

I only have one more thing to say Geddy Lee is a god
11.09.2007 - 15:19
Judas
The Amputator
I only own 2112, but holy crap it's awesome. I plan to buy a few others soon, that I've heard or downloaded but haven't obtained legally. Good band!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
16.09.2007 - 23:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well...I only own a few Rush albums legally...a few on vinyl...
17.09.2007 - 16:19
Rusher
Rush is that kind of band that has changed a lot during the last 30+ years! They started as a Zeppelin influenced band, which is the period I like less. Then came these progressive albums, with huge epic songs that, IMO, was when they reached their best. In the 80ies they started using a lot of synthetizers and then they've returned to their roots playing a more raw sound.

I mean, they sure have changed a lot but they never lost the quality!
18.09.2007 - 22:12
?Master?
Account deleted
legendary
not one of my favs i prefer zepellin over rush anyday but i like em still n theyre still fukin kikass after all the years so thats cool too
25.09.2007 - 19:53
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I recently got my first Rush album, Permanent Waves, and was completely blown away, listening to it makes me feel reaaly positive and enthusiastic about life and stuff, the magnitude of this positive emotion is comparable with the one I get from bands like Cynic, Atheist, Coroner and Death, or the emotion I got from the first time I heard Red by King Crimson this summer, Permanent Waves manages to conjure a smile on my face every time I listen to it. Planning to get 2112 as soon as I can afford it.
26.09.2007 - 19:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Congratulations rageing atheist on getting your first Rush album! Early 80s Rush is a great era of Rush to get into but I'm all about starting from the beginning and working your way up to that period to see how they evolved...
29.09.2007 - 01:09
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 26.09.2007 at 19:35

Congratulations rageing atheist on getting your first Rush album! Early 80s Rush is a great era of Rush to get into but I'm all about starting from the beginning and working your way up to that period to see how they evolved...

I agree. 2112, Moving Pictures and Fly by Night are so magical. That is where I started, so maybe it is bias.
----
(space for rent)
29.09.2007 - 02:12
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.09.2007 at 19:35

Thanks for the congratulations, I also generally start with earlier albums, to understand the roots of the bands better, but one day I just felt the need to try a Rush album and Permanent Waves was the oldest Rush album the nearest CD shop had, so I bought it.
02.10.2007 - 05:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well that store really should think about stocking some earlier Rush albums...you should talk to them about this...
03.10.2007 - 19:22
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Actually the store in question was a big department store so I doubt they'd listen.
03.10.2007 - 19:31
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I still think that they should listen to you...the customer is always right...right?

I missed the most recent Rush show in Toronto...I was going to get a ticket...apparently it was really well done...who has seen the recent Rush tour?
05.10.2007 - 21:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
I pray that the upcoming Sweden concert isn't their last here!!! I can't go and I so want to see Rush live someday!
----
14.05.2008 - 21:07
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.05.2008 - 21:40
Demonmayonnaise
I love this band. 2112 is my favorite.
15.05.2008 - 20:38
HugeTheConqeror
Rush has been my favorite band for 25 years, and they have never disappointed. I have all of their albums, and have seen them live 10 times over the years.

I think they are unfairly maligned by the elites in the music industry (yes, I'm talking about you, Rolling Stone magazine). That they have never even been nominated for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is unconscionable. Their achivements, their growth, and their influence are all undeniable.

Neil has a quote in the Exit. . . Stage Left video in which he says that the band wants to never stop asking "What if?. . ." Rush is a band that has always enjoyed pushing their own personal boundaries, not the boundaries of the industry or of society, and as a result, theirs is a sound that has truly evolved over the last 35 years.

Truly, I have never tired of listening to this band, and all of their releases are in regular rotation in my personal music library.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
19.05.2008 - 03:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@HugeTheConqeror: Congrats for being such a dedicated fan! I haven't seen them live yet although they are always around...I just never have the money...I agree with you about Rolling Stone Magazine though eh...their new album is fantastic....I was expecting something bad but they really impressed me...'I believe in Rush...and that's faith enough in me!'
20.05.2008 - 03:02
HugeTheConqeror
It is easy to remain dedicated to a band that remains dedicated to its fans and its music. Rush has never been a band to chase the latest fads. It has built a strong connection with its fanbase, which I think tends to be as dedicated as Deadheads are to the Grateful Dead. By pursuing those musical directions and ambitions that THEY themselves find interesting and expressive, Rush therefore remains faithful to its fans. The mutual respect here is strong, and I am proud to be a part of it.
----
24.06.2008 - 15:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Awesome! Rush will be honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame next year!
Currently addicted to my new "Rush Replay X 3" DVD.
----
24.06.2008 - 18:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 24.06.2008 at 15:51

Awesome! Rush will be honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame next year!

That's great news! They should've been recognized on the Hollywood Walk of Fame years ago...
25.06.2008 - 08:56
Fat & Sassy!
elite
2112: Masterpiece.

Presto: The biggest, flaming pile of crap I have ever heard from a "prog" band.
28.06.2008 - 03:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I just recently watched a show called Tribute Bands where they had on Rush tribute bands...there were some really good ones...like Freewill...you should check them out...they took the time to have the exact same light show as Rush (and a lot of other things) and had people on the stage during certain songs that attained to the covers of certain albums...they had the dudes with the frames from Moving Pictures, a guy in a bunny suit from Presto, a dude in a skeleton costume doing break dancing to Roll The Bones...
16.07.2008 - 20:05
HugeTheConqeror
Just saw this on MSNBC. Rush will be on American television tonight for the first time in over 30 years.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25691759/

Edit:
Their appearance can be seen here:
Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bwiw-U9kd4&feature=search_on_watch&search=colbert%20report%20rush

Interview and Performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQuwuBpslA&feature=related
----
22.07.2008 - 09:06
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I don't think that was a great interview at all...he asked really stupid questions and in the end, insiuated that Rush puts him to sleep...I think that Colbert should stick to the political and social shit and not do variety at all...the whole thing about Colbery saying that Pert has a drum dependancy and that this is in fact his intervention was funny...Rush weren't that talkative or anything though...you can tell they didn't really care too much...that wasn't even that good of a performance by them in my opinion...whatever...
31.07.2008 - 05:42
HugeTheConqeror
Written by Guest on 22.07.2008 at 09:06

I don't think that was a great interview at all...he asked really stupid questions and in the end, insiuated that Rush puts him to sleep...I think that Colbert should stick to the political and social shit and not do variety at all...the whole thing about Colbery saying that Pert has a drum dependancy and that this is in fact his intervention was funny...Rush weren't that talkative or anything though...you can tell they didn't really care too much...that wasn't even that good of a performance by them in my opinion...whatever...

True, but I liked the line about titling their next album "That's Bullsh*t" (in reference to the fact that they have never even been considered for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
----
31.07.2008 - 06:41
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@HugeTheConqeror: Very true...they really should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they were a great influence on many a progressive rock/metal band
29.08.2008 - 21:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
what i heard was fucking awesome, i'm not really a fan of progressive metal and stuff, but these guys are real great, too bad i can't find anyone to download their stuff from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78D00dYOBrM <<<= win
31.08.2008 - 00:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 29.08.2008 at 21:00

what i heard was fucking awesome, i'm not really a fan of progressive metal and stuff, but these guys are real great, too bad i can't find anyone to download their stuff from.

I'll give you every Rush album