08. Scream Murder
09. Out On The Streets
10. Lady In Disguise [1994 CD reissue bonus]
11. The Message [1994 CD reissue bonus]
12. Target [Demo] [2002 Metal Blade reissue bonus]
13. Living On The Edge Of Time [Demo] [2002 Metal Blade reissue bonus]
14. Island Of The Kings [Hidden Track] [2002 Metal Blade reissue bonus]
15. In The Dream [Acoustic Version] [2011 EarMusic reissue bonus]

So, here's where it began for one of the world's coolest metal bands, the impervious Savatage, and while it may not be considered their best work, Sirens shows the band at a level of high aggression they wouldn't reclaim until the legendary Hall Of The Mountain King. Despite the climate of the metal scene at the time, their debut doesn't really sound like anything that was knocking around, and it still has an original, timeless quality. Even though Jon Oliva wouldn't introduce Broadway elements into his music until the epic Gutter Ballet, you can still hear some theatricality here, especially during the bitching title track, which opens the album with one of Criss Oliva's best and most venomous riffs. Hell, there's no disputing this is the best song on here (with the exception of the mighty, Judas Priest-riddled ''Rage''), I mean, just take one listen to that middle eight. Jon's shrieks are so high they could break glass. It's the kind of moment that makes you love this band.

The best thing about early Savatage is you can hear so many bands in it, and I'm talking about people who drew influence from them. Iced Earth in particular, during riffs like those found on ''Holocaust'' and ''Living For The Night''. Under a production that is very of its time (in other words, pretty gash by today's standards), Sirens pulses with raw energy, and while the band are musically on fire, there is a certain naivety here. Unlike later releases, there is some filler material, with ''Twisted Little Sister'' having some vocal issues, and ''I Believe'' starting on the wrong foot before finally breaking out into a sweeping solo.

Savatage are a band you can pick up at any point in their career and find something of quality, and Sirens is certainly worth a few listens, especially if you're into your heavy metal. But the Oliva boys had more up their sleeves than this. This was just a good starting point.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by nicaZe | 28.04.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 13 users
25.05.2016 - 23:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Brodway elements is bands trademark, whit such sound band would not survive later even I don't like such thinbg into music, but here it works ,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2016 - 23:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
There are no Broadway trademark here, they only started appearing later on.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 2683 | This month: 18