04. Keep Your Eye On The Money
05. Home Sweet Home
06. Tonight (We Need A Lover)
07. Use It Or Lose It
08. Save Our Souls
09. Raise Your Hands To Rock
10. Fight For Your Rights
11. Home Sweet Home [demo] [bonus]
12. Smokin' In The Boy's Room [alternative guitar solo - rough mix version] [Brownsville Station cover] [bonus]
13. City Boys Blues [bonus]
14. Home Sweet Home [instrumental rough mix version] [bonus]
15. Keep Your Eye On The Money [demo] [bonus]

Well, you know, when you are a band like Motley Crue that has already released a fabulous debut album, "Too Fast For Love", and a great successor, the almighty "Shout At The Devil", it's difficult to compose something at least equally great and "Theatre Of Pain" that followed wasn't a great album indeed. In fact, the Motleys managed to release a really good album, with some awesome compositions, but it was not as a whole something ground-shaking like its predecessors.

This album is well-known for the ballad "Home Sweet Home", but i am one of those few who think that it's a nice but weak song when the time comes to compare it to other songs of "Theatre Of Pain" and i am one of those who definitely prefer the raw side of this album with songs like "Tonight (We Need A Lover)","Louder Than Hell" and "Use It Or Lose It" (what a title, huh?) with the imposing drumming and the dynamic guitar riffing! Especially on "Louder Than Hell" Vince Neil offers some really extraordinairy screams that make your mood rise to the highest levels!

The guitar work for one more time is very good, the riffing remains what else but dirty and the solos that enrich the compositions are inspired, making them flowing in a better way. The sound of the drumming is really awesome, it seems as if Tommy Lee is playing the drums with two hammers, offering a really imposing outcome lending power to the songs along with the bass lines of Nikki Sixx that composed some really fabulous songs for one more time! Vince Neil once again sounds sleazy and offers another wonderful interpretation, whether he sounds more emotional or, most of the times, really dirty pouring his soul in a world of girls, girls, girls! Some keyboard melodies make their appearance from time to time, but they are really slight and they don't affect too much the overall outcome. Their most vivid interpretation with the piano-like synth-born melodies is on "Home Sweet Home", evoking a more fragile yet kitsch feeling.

The highlights have to be "Tonight (We Need A Lover)", "Use It Or Lose It" and "Louder Than Hell" for their powerful feeling and the more groovy and rolling "City Boy Blues", "Keep Your Eye On The Money" and "Smokin' In The Boy's Room".

"Theatre Of Pain" is a really good album every Motley Crue should own for it has to propose some really strong songs that will throw you in your mother's room searching for make-up and bright colours!

Written on 28.12.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 50 users
26.03.2007 - 09:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
An odd album, Vince and Nikki both admitted they had pretty much hit the bottom of the barrell when recording this album, and that it was all filler. Yet it turned out not too bad, definitly there worst since the begining of there carreer, but it beats the hell out of all the post-Dr Feelgood stuff.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.07.2007 - 09:46
J.W.G.
Account deleted
Vince had to stay because of the accident sober you know ... Mick and Nikki were pretty F'ed up then. And Tommy was living already a Hollywood celebrity life.
Good album though, grows on you with time.
14.12.2008 - 10:02
amerislave
Account deleted
A lot of filler....."save our souls" and "louder than hell" are ok. the crue should have stopped with the covers after "helter skelter"...."smokin' in the boys room" is lame.
19.01.2009 - 19:15
Jonnz of Steel

I love this album, really underrated in my view. Possibly my favourite Crue album, but that changes by the minute anyway so...
29.09.2009 - 06:36
Rating: 6
GamlaSonn

I felt this album was a lot more pop than their previous releases and thus it's boring overall. Some okay songs

Hits total: 7934 | This month: 11