Metal Storm logo
Rock Am Ring - Lightning Strikes Again, 51 Injured, Cancelled

UPDATE: Rock am Ring in Mendig, Germany has been cancelled. While yesterday organisers were hoping the festival could continue after the lightning stuck and injured several people, they have now officially cancelled the third and final day. They say the decision was taken after more bad weather was forecast and it was necessary because the safety of fans was of paramount importance. The lightning strikes injured at least 80 fans.

Original news, published on 04.06.2016: Several festival-goers were left injured and 15 hospitalized at the German festival Rock am Ring after lightning struck. This happens for the second year in a row. Organisers warned thousands of people attending Rock am Ring to seek shelter as a severe thunderstorm moved in shortly after 8pm and the fest was interrupted. Local media reports said up to 51 people had been injured, while Rock am Ring organisers said 42 people had been taken to hospital, including eight with serious injuries. Amon Amarth, Disturbed and Volbeat, among other acts, still performed.

Police said that lighting hit at around 8.30pm, injuring "many" people at the site, causing firefighters and ambulances to be sent to the scene as an emergency information hotline was set up.

(EPA)

Reportedly, a festival spokeswoman dismissed rumors that the organizers would cancel the rest of the three-day festival, which features British metal legends Black Sabbath.

Source: bbc.com
Posted: 05.06.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 205 users
04.06.2016 - 13:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why don't move fest to other time,,,, other date? we can predict when its bad weather In ''summer'' if its every year so move to other date
and why ppl even go to fest if its rains?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.06.2016 - 16:19
FYA
Destroyer
"Amon Amarth (...) among other acts, still performed."

Oh come on, Thor wanna party too.
04.06.2016 - 17:51
IBlackened

Written by FYA on 04.06.2016 at 16:19

"Amon Amarth (...) among other acts, still performed."

Oh come on, Thor wanna party too.

Or maybe it was Zeus punishing them for their heresy.
----
Their old stuff is better.
04.06.2016 - 17:58
ANGEL REAPER

Second year this is happening ? I bet some thunder gods really dislike today's music
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.06.2016 - 18:07
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Bad English on 04.06.2016 at 13:36

we can predict when its bad weather In ''summer''

You can't predict a thunderstorm is going to be at square kilometer X at time Y. Impossible.
04.06.2016 - 18:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Risto on 04.06.2016 at 18:07

You can't predict a thunderstorm is going to be at square kilometer X at time Y. Impossible.

Also his asking about people going to a fest when it rains... sigh. It doesn't rain 24/7 and even rain is quite hard to forecast in summer in that region. Forecasts change from hour to hour. I also see it here. Forecast said thunderstorms about two days ago. Guess what they only hit here just now.
Like I said before, and I know I wil sound like a broken record, K7/BE should keep his mouth shout about stuff he knows nothing about.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2016 - 19:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Risto on 04.06.2016 at 18:07

not possible, but as far I know in Swe Rock fest often rains and there are possibilities as you know in LA never rains in summer, Lapland always rains in sepember
and so on ...
Even if its rains 1-2h at fest day better stay inside as be wet and so on, I never go out in a rain
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.06.2016 - 12:26
Risto
Wandering Midget
The rest of the festival has now been cancelled due to recurring thunderstorms. 80 people in total have now been injured by lightning strikes
05.06.2016 - 20:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Terrible.

We know the devastation of thunderstorm and it hit very hard. Living in a place where altitude touches 9000ft, whenever thunderstorm strikes here - people feel like it's the last day on earth.

I understand injuries that caused people to hide in shelters and some of them hospitalized hasn't come to be good news.
05.06.2016 - 21:33
ThePeacekeeper

That's so sad Maybe they can choose another date or a new location for the event.

Hits total: 2926 | This month: 5