Metal Storm logo
Insomnium - Reveals Cover Art For Upcoming Album

Earlier, we learnt that Insomnium's next album Winter's Gate will be released in a very special package, featuring a book. We also learnt that the album will consist of an epic 40-minute long track. Now they have revealed the album cover as well! The cover art was done by Teemu Tähkänen. The cover art is quite different from their previous one, what do you think about this one?

Century Media Records will release the album on September 23rd.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Insomnium
Posted: 15.06.2016 by Fallen Ghost

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 21   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 257 users
16.06.2016 - 00:30
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Lol everything they make sounds and looks the same. Heres my irresponsible drunk comment,.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

16.06.2016 - 00:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alakazam on 16.06.2016 at 00:30

Lol everything they make sounds and looks the same. Heres my irresponsible drunk comment,.

I actually don't mind the cover. But yeah, this is going to be one heck of a snoozefest...
16.06.2016 - 01:23
Constantine

Written by Guest on 16.06.2016 at 00:32

Written by Alakazam on 16.06.2016 at 00:30

I actually don't mind the cover. But yeah, this is going to be one heck of a snoozefest...

16.06.2016 - 01:27
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I don't like the cover but I love Insomnium! Can't wait for the album.

Lots of random hate in the comments.. don't understand when people all of a sudden soured on the band. Feels like just yesterday that everyone on MS loved them. I still do.
16.06.2016 - 01:36
visiblenoise

I started to get bored of them starting from Across the Dark. Everyone else seemed thrilled with them though, so I thought maybe it was just me outgrowing that style. I dunno, they're rather melodramatic, and all their stuff sounds very similar.
16.06.2016 - 02:06
WinterMadness

Band keeps their style the same for too long, legions of fans turn against them.
Band changes their style too much, legions of fans turn against them.

For my money, they have a great sound and they can be relied on to produce lots of high quality listenable music. Each album is unique enough to keep me interested, but similar enough that I can put all their albums in one playlist without breaking the overall mood.

I am a little apprehensive about the entire album being one song...I'm all for epic concept albums but that seems a little bit much. I guess I'll just have to fast-forward to the good parts if I want to blast the new album while driving.
16.06.2016 - 02:12
WinterMadness

Written by visiblenoise on 16.06.2016 at 01:36

I started to get bored of them starting from Across the Dark. Everyone else seemed thrilled with them though, so I thought maybe it was just me outgrowing that style. I dunno, they're rather melodramatic, and all their stuff sounds very similar.

I get what you mean about being melodramatic. They flirt with the angst of metalcore but manage to keep on the mature side of things. That kind of mix makes them not always what your ear wants, but when you're in the right mood there's nothing better.
16.06.2016 - 02:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Why is there a video of a guy stating his preference for turtles in the Insomnium's new cover discussion thread?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.06.2016 - 02:20
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Yeah I don't understand why people are bashing them, I love them, even I'm tired of melodeath. Everything sounds the same? Pfft, they're evolving within each album, but are keeping their signature sound and style. Every band can't be Opeth, who changes with every album (even then people are bashing..)
16.06.2016 - 02:32
Vombatus
Potorro
It will be a tough contest to see who gets the "blandest album" title this year. Be'lakor and Katatonia are off for a good start but this might put up a good fight.
16.06.2016 - 05:26
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by Vombatus on 16.06.2016 at 02:32

It will be a tough contest to see who gets the "blandest album" title this year. Be'lakor and Katatonia are off for a good start but this might put up a good fight.

Aww, look at the metal hipster everyone! Bashing all the strongest releases of 2016. So edgy!
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
16.06.2016 - 08:51
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Contrasting all people above, this is the first time I'm actually interested in Insomnium. If they manage to pull this off as interesting then this will be one hell of a record. And the cover is quite OK.
----
16.06.2016 - 14:21
Overrwatcher

Every Insomnium album so far starts with an amazing intro leading up to the first song, making an effective 8-10 minute song. Hopefully they can keep that momentum going with a 40 minute song.

Be'lakor, Omnium Gatherum, etc bore the hell out of me but something about Insomnium is just energetic enough to keep me interested, even if I wish they could vary their songs a little more. Don't get me wrong, there definitely is progression (their latest had more clean vocals than ever), but I'm starting to feel a Katatonia level snooze. Just like how I feel like The Great Cold Distance is all the modern Katatonia I need, I sometimes feel like One For Sorrow is the only Insomnium album I really need (since it was my intro album to them).
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
16.06.2016 - 15:37
IronArkadius666

Awesome picture, hopefully this album will be better than Omnium's last effort, but I don't know. I loved Shadows of the Dying Sun but it was reaching the point where I felt like I heard it all before. Insomnium don't seem to be willing to change it up at all and I get the feeling this album might finally be the one where I've decided I've had enough of them.

On a side note, why do people always compare Be'lakor with Insomnium? I know they're both melodeath but they don't sound anything like each other.
16.06.2016 - 20:38
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 16.06.2016 at 05:26

Aww, look at the metal hipster everyone! Bashing all the strongest releases of 2016. So edgy!

Butthurt is real. Mission accomplished!
17.06.2016 - 06:35
Gothmog_Motsham

That artwork fits a black metal band...Maybe we'll see some black metal inspiration? Highly unlikely but would be awesome too!
17.06.2016 - 08:44
EmeraldSword

Written by IronArkadius666 on 16.06.2016 at 15:37
On a side note, why do people always compare Be'lakor with Insomnium? I know they're both melodeath but they don't sound anything like each other.

I don't see the resemblance, either. Actually, I see more similarities in Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum because they both share a guitarist, Markus Vanhala. I've been listening to Amon Amarth "Surtur Rising" a lot lately and felt like Be'lakor and Amon Amarth shared a few guitar riffs there, but that's about it for me... I like all these bands equally, so the style doesn't sound as bland IMHO. I appreciate some variance in melodeath from album to album without trying to re-create the wheel each time.
17.06.2016 - 10:12
IronArkadius666

Quote:
I don't see the resemblance, either. Actually, I see more similarities in Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum because they both share a guitarist, Markus Vanhala. I've been listening to Amon Amarth "Surtur Rising" a lot lately and felt like Be'lakor and Amon Amarth shared a few guitar riffs there, but that's about it for me... I like all these bands equally, so the style doesn't sound as bland IMHO. I appreciate some variance in melodeath from album to album without trying to re-create the wheel each time.

Yeah i agree, Insomnium and Omnium have been similar even before Markus joined Insomnium which is probably why they're my favourite bands in the genre. IMO Be'Lakor have their own style which no other band I've listened to seems to share, must be why they're so refreshing. I still prefer the Insomnium Gatherum style though.
18.06.2016 - 06:35
Traezeus

I dig it - very minimalist, yet still attractive.
18.06.2016 - 10:18
s_t_s

Don't care much about the album cover but really hope that this new album will be as good as Shadows of a Dying Sun. I agree about their generic style, tho they own something special, as their oldest works tend to blur together but their latest album is perfectly balanced to me and not generic at all any more. Will wait for a new tune before I make an opinion about their forthcoming album.
20.06.2016 - 21:51
erat

It seems like i'm the only one loved this cover art
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!

Hits total: 2710 | This month: 3