Metal Storm logo
Russian bands

‹‹ Back to Bugs
16.06.2016 - 14:04
Taravilyaion

I have a couple of Russian bands in my "Favorite Bands" list with their (original) Russian name such as Kalevala, Grai, Arkona etc..
When I have them in my list under their English name, their profile is linked..
However, when I have them in my list under their Russian name, their profile it's not linked..

It's the same with search.. some bands can't be found with their Russian name (Грай does, but Калевала doesn't)..

Why can't both versions simply be used..?
----
"The best violence against one is the violence no one ever forgets.."
16.06.2016 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Because I think its because band name in band profile is written wit latin letters, kirlik can be in aka sometimes
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.06.2016 - 11:44
Taravilyaion

Written by Bad English on 16.06.2016 at 18:03

Because I think its because band name in band profile is written wit latin letters, kirlik can be in aka sometimes

Cyrillic, not "kirlik"..
That explains the "search" part.. Grai (Грай) has their name in the aka, Kalevala (Калевала) doesn't..

I still think that not only the ones written in Latin should be linked but also the in Cyrillic written names as those are most of the time the 'true/real' names..
----
19.06.2016 - 02:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
The linking coding is set to read the band name, not the AKA. And we use Latin letters for the band name because it's easier for people to search with Latin letters because not everybody has Cyrillic, or Kanji, or Germanic, or Arabic, etc. keyboard functions. The Latin keyboard system is the most common around the world, so we want to make it easy for everybody, not just for the people who have the necessary keyboard function for some obscure bands.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

20.06.2016 - 06:34
Maco
Pvt Funderground
There are lots of talented russian bands like Scald and.... Scald!!
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
20.06.2016 - 07:18
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
I've added "Калевала" in Kalevala's a.k.a. field, so that should take care of the search function. That's a simple fix, and bands that use non-Roman alphabets should have entries in their a.k.a. fields with the original spelling anyway, so if you come across any other such examples, please feel free to add the Cyrillic/Arabic/Hanzi/Ogham/Morse code script.

As for linking/coding, psyko already stated that Metal Storm relies on English as its sole "official" language, which makes English the priority in coding profiles. If you feel the desire to use the "proper" spelling of a band's name when writing a review or posting in the forums, you can use the URL tags in place of the band tags to both use the original alphabet and properly link to the profile.

Also,
Written by Maco on 20.06.2016 at 06:34

There are lots of talented russian bands like Scald and.... Scald!!

Tut tut, Maco. For shame. Russia has dozens of exceptional bands, like Drudkh, Negură Bunget, and Gods Tower.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
20.06.2016 - 15:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 20.06.2016 at 07:18

Tut tut, Maco. For shame. Russia has dozens of exceptional bands, like Drudkh, Negură Bunget, and Gods Tower.

None of which are Russian.

Drudkh is Ukranian
Negură Bunget is Romanian
Gods Tower is from Belarus

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.06.2016 - 16:57
Taravilyaion

Written by psykometal on 19.06.2016 at 02:01
.. because not everybody has Cyrillic, or Kanji, or Germanic, or Arabic, etc. keyboard functions.

True, but everyone can copy-paste..
Whenever I run into an awesome Russian band with their name written in Cyrillic (for example on YouTube), I'm not typing into the search either..
No matter if it's on Google, FaceBook, M.A. or here, I simply copy-paste it..

In addition, a German keyboard is pretty much the same as a every other (Latin) keyboard..
It has just a different layout..
The only special character we have is the "ß", but that doesn't gets used often anymore either as it simply can be written as "ss" these days.
----
20.06.2016 - 17:28
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
On another thought, one could make it so that both written options link to the band's profile so that no one complains?

I guess that would take a lot of effort though...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
20.06.2016 - 18:36
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.06.2016 at 15:29

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 20.06.2016 at 07:18

None of which are Russian.

Drudkh is Ukranian
Negură Bunget is Romanian
Gods Tower is from Belarus

(that's the joke)
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
20.06.2016 - 18:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 20.06.2016 at 18:36

(that's the joke)

Then use a sarcasm emoji ffs.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2016 - 04:14
Opethian

Blackthorn are great!
22.06.2016 - 08:07
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Oh yeah I forgot about Forest Stream :p
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
22.06.2016 - 14:55
MolochAngst

Nevid and Kartikeya are awesomesauce
22.06.2016 - 17:40
psykometal
A staff guy...
Quote:
As for linking/coding, psyko already stated that Metal Storm relies on English as its sole "official" language, which makes English the priority in coding profiles.

This. And this was decided on and implemented from the very beginning by the site's owner, who also does all of the site coding.
----

16.07.2016 - 01:49
D.T. Metal

Written by Taravilyaion on 16.06.2016 at 14:04

I have a couple of Russian bands in my "Favorite Bands" list with their (original) Russian name such as Kalevala, Grai, Arkona etc..
When I have them in my list under their English name, their profile is linked..
However, when I have them in my list under their Russian name, their profile it's not linked..

It's the same with search.. some bands can't be found with their Russian name (Грай does, but Калевала doesn't)..

Why can't both versions simply be used..?

This issue is solved now, correct? As it was stated, when you find a band with a native spelling (other than english) the native spelling goes into the AKA filed and then it's searchable. As far as the linking in the list, I am afraid this is probably gonna be working with the english version
16.07.2016 - 07:20
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by D.T. Metal on 16.07.2016 at 01:49

This issue is solved now, correct? As it was stated, when you find a band with a native spelling (other than english) the native spelling goes into the AKA filed and then it's searchable. As far as the linking in the list, I am afraid this is probably gonna be working with the english version

Assuming you want to lock teh thread? If so, then I'd say it's been laid to rest. Si.
----

24.05.2019 - 09:33
Jeffrey90

I still think that not only the ones written in Latin should be linked but also the in Cyrillic written names as those are most of the time the 'true/real' names..