Metal Storm logo
Trivium

23.05.2006 - 05:50
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
well i think trivium is really cool .. really good good band.They are metalcore with some trash influences. however they are an awesome band with great guitarrists,nice bass and good drumming and well a good voice (some parts are really hard and you get bored) but i think THEY ARE AWESOME..I will see them on s.o.t.u with as i lay dying and cannibal corpse
What's your opinion about this band ?
23.05.2006 - 13:42
Thryce
Retired Staff
There is a new live performance of Trivium playing their track 'Like Light To The Flies' available for viewing on the Underground Video Television Website here. The footage was taken at Water Street Music Hall in Rochester NY.

(Source : http://uvtv.info/trivium.php)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
23.05.2006 - 14:14
Stoemp

Really awesome band. Great riffs and vocals. In this music I can really get rid of all my frustrations. Looking forward to seeing them on Graspop this year!
23.05.2006 - 14:15
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
wow thx Thryce!!
nice video
23.05.2006 - 22:30
__Az__

Hmmmm... I dont really tend to listen to much metalcore... The little that i do listen to is better than trivium....

I borrwed their album Ascendency from a friend... I have to say sorry, But I think It was really awful... The guitar work was too repitative and unimaginable... Even the vocals were too similar...
23.05.2006 - 22:57
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
MMMM WELL I THINK I'TS A GOOD OPINION ___Az___ but well i think this band is really good and well i think this year they will take out a new work..
I WANT TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW!!!
25.05.2006 - 05:48
LethargyMan

I keep on hearing people compare this band to Sepultura, but I just don't hear it.

I will give them credit and say that Trivium is indeed one of the better metalcore bands around (but I think I'd respect them a little more if they didn't look quite so emo - I know looks are superficial and don't really affect a band's sound... but... just look at them!).
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
25.05.2006 - 05:58
Alfonso

They bore the fuck out of me.
----
25.05.2006 - 12:44
__Az__

Written by LethargyMan on 25.05.2006 at 05:48

I keep on hearing people compare this band to Sepultura, but I just don't hear it.

Sorry, but who the hell compares Sepultura to Trivium...
25.05.2006 - 13:23
Eternal Flames

As I mentioned on the old forums, they are a pretty decent band, although personally I think that there vocals are awful. They just sound a bit too angsty for my liking. I would consider them more of a modern Thrash band, as it's only the vocals that really make them sound Metalcore.

Anyway, they are a pretty good band, but nothing very original. In my opinion, the vocalist is their main downfall. I find that the emotion he puts into his vocals sounds pseudo.
25.05.2006 - 14:01
SteTech

I first heard Like Light To Flies about a year ago and it blew me away, but over time the amount of hype they've been getting just puts me off them now, and after hearing the number of metalcore bands that sound exactly the same, I just hate the scene with a passion. I'm sure there are some good metalcore bands if you dig deep enough. I got Himsa's new album recently and it sure is better than Ascendency.

It sucks the fact Trivium are supporting Maiden this Winter, all those metalcore kids will be beating each other senseless throughout the whole night!
25.05.2006 - 20:45
LethargyMan

Written by __Az__ on 25.05.2006 at 12:44
Sorry, but who the hell compares Sepultura to Trivium...

Idiots, apparently... It's a comparison I've heard on various hubs of metallic-idiocy, such as Blabbermouth.net.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
26.05.2006 - 05:45
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
MMM TRIVIUM TO SEPULTURA STOP SMOKING THAT DUDE
05.06.2006 - 18:13
malice05
Account deleted
i worship Trivium, with the success, with the popularity, with every bit of effort they have done to get where they are now, i hail them!! Matt's proven time and time again that he cant front the band with amazing guitar riffs, and awesome lyrics and chants. Corey has some amazing riffs and Paolo is also an amazing bassist, then you have Travis on drums who plas some awesome beats...i am infactuated with this band and i cant wait for their new record and for them to come down on tour here to Australia, they have said they hope to be here around Early 2007

cheers, Malice05
05.06.2006 - 19:18
fire101
Account deleted
Their new disc, Ascendencey is pretty tight. A personal favorite being Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr. What a great song.
05.06.2006 - 20:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Insanely overrated band. I already said all I needed to say in my review of Ascendancy a long while ago.
05.06.2006 - 21:02
Dirt pride
Account deleted
i hate them they are ripping off shaddows fall! its all computer generated
heaffys father paid a studio to record them, and they are crap at playing thier instruments its all computer generated!
they are crap live (i saw them with iron maiden) and i bet dimebag would hate them!
05.06.2006 - 22:54
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.06.2006 at 19:18

Their new disc, Ascendencey is pretty tight. A personal favorite being Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr. What a great song.

I agree on you, that song is wicked to wake up with!
05.06.2006 - 23:04
Thryce
Retired Staff
Trivium - More Live Footage Available Online :

Another new live performance video from Trivium is available for viewing at the Underground Video Television website, located here. The footage, for the track 'Drowned And Torn Asunder', was shot in Rochester, NY.

Trivium have posted pictures, audio and video footage from their June 3rd performance at Germany's Rock Am Ring festival online at their official website. The page features pictures, audio and video footage from their entire set, including the new song 'Detonation' which was played live for the first time ever.

Trivium's set list was as follows: 'The End Of Everything', 'Like Light To The Flies', 'Rain', 'Suffocating Sight', 'Drowned And Torn Asunder', 'Detonation', 'A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation', 'Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr'.

Go to this location to check out the material.

Trivium have finished recording their upcoming CD, The Crusade. Songs include 'Ignition', 'Contempt Breeds Contamination', 'Detonation', 'And Sadness Will Sear', 'Vengeance', 'To the Rats' and 'Contemporary Plague'.

(Source : http://www.triviumworld.com)

I agree with jupitreas btw in saying this band is highly overrated... but hey, enjoy the video!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
05.06.2006 - 23:29
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Omfg .. You have to be kidding me ..
the video about the track 'Drowned and Torn Asunder' is actually censored. They replaced the word fuck with an irritating beep.
I find it hard to believe that a word as fuck could do more harm than images of a circle pit .. (no harm at all )
That show was a pretty cool one too by the way.
06.06.2006 - 03:37
Stigmatized
I despise this band. Sorry, but that's how I feel. The next Metallica? No, not even close. If that were true....metal would have a dark, dark future.
06.06.2006 - 06:04
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 05.06.2006 at 20:09

Insanely overrated band. I already said all I needed to say in my review of Ascendancy a long while ago.

I did read your review and found it actually a bit elitist. Trivium are not a groundbreaking or original band but they stand far above the averageamong the thousands of Metalcore clones, with a very skillful guitar work (that can be not unique but is rather enjoyable) and, instead of seeing an overproduction like you say, I note that their album Ascendansy sounds perfetc for what it is...

On the other hand, you seem to make clear in that review (and excuse me if I misanderstood your poin) that music has to "mean" something, so we shouldn't care if it sounds great, is well played, heavy and in one word, enjoyable (I actually don't think the word "commercial" should be satanized on the way it is), but lacks originality and it's meant for the masses, is worthless... that is very contradictory with your reviews giving such high ratings to the new albums of Venom, Sodom or Celtic Frost, that excuse me, but they are nothing but a sellable product by bands that try desperately to feed on their past... that doesn't mean that they are bad albums (neither is Ascendansy), but are just nice-to-listen, unoriginal and based entirely in an already over-abused formula, and that's exactly what seems to be your main criticism on Trivium...

I hope you got my point.
06.06.2006 - 10:05
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Guest on 06.06.2006 at 06:04

I did read your review and found it actually a bit elitist. Trivium are not a groundbreaking or original band but they stand far above the averageamong the thousands of Metalcore clones, with a very skillful guitar work (that can be not unique but is rather enjoyable) and, instead of seeing an overproduction like you say, I note that their album Ascendansy sounds perfetc for what it is...

There is nothing wrong with a clean production as long as it fits what the band is trying to achieve. That is the point of having a producer - so that he can realize what sort of production will work best to augment the band's songs and overall style to make it work as well as possible (many bands are saved by the way they are produced in this way). Trivium is supposed to be a dynamic metal band; however, the production is crystal clear and the result is that it sounds very plastic and commercial (in the wrong way, since there is nothing wrong with being commercial, as you say).

On the other hand, you seem to make clear in that review (and excuse me if I misanderstood your poin) that music has to "mean" something, so we shouldn't care if it sounds great, is well played, heavy and in one word, enjoyable (I actually don't think the word "commercial" should be satanized on the way it is), but lacks originality and it's meant for the masses, is worthless...

Yes, music has to "mean" something, otherwise, what is the point of listening to it? Seriously, these days we have access to so much music that it seems to me to be a complete waste of time to listen to meaningless music. Nothing can be treated completely out of context though. If we are to treat the qualities you listed as the way to evaluate music, we are really dealing more with an evaluation of a product here than an art. I can evaluate my latest digital camera in this way, but do you really think music should be seen in the same categories?

that is very contradictory with your reviews giving such high ratings to the new albums of Venom, Sodom or Celtic Frost, that excuse me, but they are nothing but a sellable product by bands that try desperately to feed on their past... that doesn't mean that they are bad albums (neither is Ascendansy), but are just nice-to-listen, unoriginal and based entirely in an already over-abused formula, and that's exactly what seems to be your main criticism on Trivium...

I hope you got my point.

As to the comparison with old bands milking their classic sound - well, its not an appropriate comparison at all. If I were to expect old bands to reinvent themselves completely with every release, I'd have to give 2s or 1s to 99% of the albums I hear every year. Thats just not the way it works for an old band - one has to evaluate it by keeping their past in mind and seeing how a new album fits into their overall development arc. The new Sodom is a good Sodom album, the new Venom - a mediocre and boring Venom album. So I rated them accordingly. "Monotheist", on the other hand, IS a very innovative release and it totally deserves the high rating I gave it...

Also, dont expect anyone to be consistent with their rating of albums over the years because it is humanly impossible. Tastes can change and something as superficial as a rating can change even more. There is, in the end, nothing I can do than to stand by what I thought was an appropriate rating AT THE TIME. This is also why I am not giving albums ratings at all these days.

Finally, dont treat the cut-and-paste style of this answer as an attack on you or anything, I just want to have a reasonable discussion. Trivium isnt exactly a band I care about a lot, I never listened to Ascendancy again after I wrote that review.
07.06.2006 - 01:18
fire101
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.06.2006 at 22:54

Written by Guest on 05.06.2006 at 19:18

I agree on you, that song is wicked to wake up with!

Hell yeah it is!!
07.06.2006 - 05:30
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr IS A VERY HEAVY AND FAST SONG, ONE OF THE BEST SONG OF THEY'RE NEW CD
07.06.2006 - 20:22
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Yea, but that's not the only kickass song they have .. I like almost all of their songs ! in fact, I can't give an example of a song I don't like
07.06.2006 - 22:45
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
MMM WELL I REALLY THINK THEY'RE NEW CD WAS REALLY GOOD I LIKE ALMOST EVERY SONG.. WELL EXPECT THE INTRO...:dstupid:
07.06.2006 - 23:05
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
What Jupitreas said.

</spam>
21.06.2006 - 02:31
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
WOW THEY ARE WORKING ON A NEW CD !!! GREAT !!
21.06.2006 - 06:51
Ibanez07
Account deleted
My favirote of Ascendency is either Like Light to Flies, or Dying In Your Arms. Both amazing exapmles of continues twin lead guitar lines. Though I can't stand Matt Heaffy's voice, I love the instruments on all their parts.