11. Merciless Fate
12. Caves And Embers

Disc II [limited mediabook bonus]
01. The Absolute
02. Time Out Of Place

Top 20 albums of 2016: 9
Featured in "Getting Into: Dark Tranquillity"

Additional info
Guest guitar solo on "Force Of Hand" by Björn Gelotte.
Backing vocals on "Forward Momentum" by Annelie Johansson.

Staff review by
Darkside Momo
Rating:
N/A
Dark Tranquillity, season 11.

Three years ago we had Construct, a so-so album - a mostly failed experiment at redefining themselves. Sure, these last few years haven't been easy on DT as far as line-up was concerned, particularly 2016 with the departure of founding member Martin Henriksson.

Read more ››
published 17.11.2016 | Comments (33)

Dark Tranquillity are on a forward momentum again. Their best since Character, no less.

A video link

Darkside Momo's picks | More picks ››

Found in 70 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 62   Visited by: 1590 users
12.07.2016 - 21:45
Rating: 9
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Always stoked for one of my favorite bands. Hope this is heavier than Construct though.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
12.07.2016 - 21:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not too excited for this, but the artwork is delicious. Here's hoping they get back some of their "character."

13.07.2016 - 00:01
Rating: 10
Ocean Sage
One of my favorite bands ever. Can't wait. Construct grew on me a lot. Even got to see them live earlier this year. I always feel like I'm just tiding myself over with other melodic death metal bands until the next Dark Tranquillity album.
13.07.2016 - 00:05
Overrwatcher
Real cool art, but it's not what I expected from Dark Tranquillity. I actually haven't got the chance to listen to their latest two albums yet, so the direction this album takes for me will be a surprise.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
13.07.2016 - 01:52
Hell to the fuck yeah.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
13.07.2016 - 06:53
MrEdu3
Finally
13.07.2016 - 10:45
Rating: 8
s_t_s
Written by Overrwatcher on 13.07.2016 at 00:05

Real cool art, but it's not what I expected from Dark Tranquillity. I actually haven't got the chance to listen to their latest two albums yet, so the direction this album takes for me will be a surprise.

Well that's the same kind of art to be seen on Construct

Even tho some people seem to regret what DT used to do "before", I like all of their albums and am actually happy that they don't always repeat. Unlike bands like In Flames they have managed to recreate without losing power. I don't consider them really brutal (don't tell me someone does but they never lack power and inspiration. I have missed a new DT album and now I cannot wait to be able to listen to a first track !
13.07.2016 - 13:04
skydancer
Can't wait, Construct slowly creeped behind my back and before I knew, it became one of my favorite DT albums. While most people will disagree with me I think, I hope they continue in that direction. The artwork is amazing as usual, Niklas delivers again.
18.08.2016 - 17:05
Mold of Tree
Account deleted
I just what the fuck is so 'special' with this band? I don't understand why is so mainstream. Every...fucking...single...song...of every fucking single album is the same. If you're listening the whole entire discography, from the first demo to their last album is EVERYTHING the same...EVERYTHING! Vocals, riffs, drums rhythms, bass rhythms, like...everything! They should make a little difference, they should change, because their becoming boring with every single upcoming album/EP of them.
27.08.2016 - 23:13
Written by Guest on 18.08.2016 at 17:05

I just what the fuck is so 'special' with this band? I don't understand why is so mainstream. Every...fucking...single...song...of every fucking single album is the same. If you're listening the whole entire discography, from the first demo to their last album is EVERYTHING the same...EVERYTHING! Vocals, riffs, drums rhythms, bass rhythms, like...everything! They should make a little difference, they should change, because their becoming boring with every single upcoming album/EP of them.

You don´t want that son, In Flames is the perfect expample. This band is especial , you like it or not, move on.
28.08.2016 - 17:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

You've obviously never listened to this band then, or just have no ability to differentiate one thing from another.

Quite literally nothing alike. They've had a very steady, measurable evolution / devolution in their sound. If you had heard the discography you would pick up on that because it's blatantly obvious.
11.09.2016 - 18:15
s_t_s

Too bad I missed your so valuable comment before !

1. First of all a comment using "fucking" every 10 words or so must not be taken into serious consideration imo
2. Secondly you clearly know nothing about Dark Tranquillity as they have grown from death metal to melodeath or whatever you call today's style.
3. Unlike bands like In Flames (or In Shame), they have always offered something new and different yet very enjoyable.

Now, I don't know about the rest of you guys (and gals) but I cannot wait to listen to a first track ! LAast but not leas seeing them on stage is a real treat as they enjoy what they do and we also enjoy that a LOT !
26.09.2016 - 22:19
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Yaaaaaayyyy!!! Today seems to be good new music from old bands release day!!!

----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.10.2016 - 15:01
philoubidou
Here a new song from the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_voh9WFbsM
23.10.2016 - 12:59
OpenMind
Is a great album !!!!!
28.10.2016 - 22:53
Holy Fuck!!!!!! Atoma >>>>> Everything MDM related this year.
29.10.2016 - 13:04
MIXHELL
Atoma = Fiction and the other best DT releases <3
29.10.2016 - 22:08
s_t_s
Leaked, it has leaked !
31.10.2016 - 18:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Spun it twice now and I vastly prefer it over the past couple of totally lacklustre albums by DT.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.10.2016 - 18:40
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.10.2016 at 18:37

Spun it twice now and I vastly prefer it over the past couple of totally lacklustre albums by DT.

Would you say that it has the consistence and energy of Character?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.11.2016 - 02:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Believe the hype. It's good!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.11.2016 - 08:25
Martin Brändström is a genius.
02.11.2016 - 21:27
s_t_s
There are some tracks I already love like Encircled, Atoma, Foward Momentum or The Pitiless, others I am learning to love yet I miss a nice closing soundtracks as we used to be offered. Now listening to the 2 bonus tracks so that I can make an opinion about the edition I'm going to buy
04.11.2016 - 00:33
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by s_t_s on 02.11.2016 at 21:27

yet I miss a nice closing soundtracks as we used to be offered.

Yeah, Caves And Embers has a nice closing feel, but nowhere near "Ex Nhilo", "At Loss For Words" or "My Negation" (or even "None Becoming")
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.11.2016 - 08:36
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Couple of tracks are pretty great - especially the first track - but everything else seems to fall short of that benchmark.
04.11.2016 - 09:27
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
After the best first track there are some weaker ones, but overall it's a very enjoyable album and a return to form after a few weak releases.
04.11.2016 - 14:50
ScottyM
Yep! I can dig it! Good work Dark Tranquillity! These guys never fail to impress.
04.11.2016 - 16:44
banjokaboom
I was excited about this album from the start, with the artwork, and the singles that came out. Loving every track. Every track has something unique about it that blends the whole album together. I got into them starting with Fiction, and this brings me back to those days.
05.11.2016 - 00:25
Rating: 7
Nicko's Nose
I'm sure I'm gonna like this more after a few listens, but I know it's no top 10 metal albums of 2016 material.
05.11.2016 - 09:35
s_t_s
Written by Nicko's Nose on 05.11.2016 at 00:25

I'm sure I'm gonna like this more after a few listens, but I know it's no top 10 metal albums of 2016 material.

Had the same feeling with We Are The Void at first spins then suddenly it grew on me ! Already this is a nice album, more listens will make it great

Hits total: 34018 | This month: 109