02. K.I.N.G
03. The Pentagram Burns
04. A New Enemy
05. The Rite Of Our Cross
06. That Darkness Shall Be Eternal
07. Delirium
08. To The Mountains
09. Storm (Of The Destroyer) [bonus]

Now, Diabolical is yet another album from a continuously evolving band. As far as most of Satyricon's early fans think, the band simply died after Nemesis Divinia. Despite this way of thinking, Satyricon have continued along the path they have chosen, and have gotten new fans who are more into their new brand of music. Both Satyr and Frost have said in interviews that Satyricon nowadays is a disciplined unit trying to make good songs. This discipline is achieved by them in this album, but for me personally it takes away that atmosphere and ancient sound that was typical of the band's early albums. Well this review is not going to be about how "kvlt" or otherwise Satyricon is. Instead it's going to be mainly about the album and the musicianship depicted in it.

The first thing I noticed about this album was its crystal clear production. If you feel that Black Metal needs better production, this album is just ideal for you. The mixing is actually brilliantly executed and even Satyr's vocals are clear enough to hear, which is a stark contrast to Dark Medieval Times.

In terms of the riffs, I found them quite original and creative at times and they seem to have few similarities with other bands of their genre. The tempo of individual tracks remains the same throughout but tends to vary with each other. The result is that we have a list of tracks which all move along in their own tempo. This somehow takes away the aura of the album and makes it easier on the ears. Quite a few of the songs are quite catchy and you may find yourself nodding in time with it every now and then. If you have never heard Black Metal before, this would probably be a good album to start with.

There are both good and bad things about this album and as far as I'm concerned, one of its highlights is "The Pentagram Burns". It's quite a typical name for a Black Metal song but I found it to be quite impressive. It's easily one of the best tracks on the album and is definitely the type of song that Satan would be proud to call his own.

Having said that though, it's just like the rest of the album, very precise and calculated. Precision and accuracy have never been what Black Metal has been about over the years. What this album really needs is a bit of dirt and a bit more passion. The drums are almost restrained and held back. Even the guitars seem to be too controlled and calculated. Frost's lack of destructive brilliance is painfully obvious compared to what we know he can produce.

Musically it's similar to Volcano but slightly heavier and the songs are just plain better. I understand that they want to appeal to a wider audience and with this album they probably will. This time they fully absorb and embrace their "sell-out" status and they achieve what they wanted to do with this album. If you thought their old albums were godlike and their newer material was too bad to be true, this album will not change your mind. On the other hand, if you like better production skills, control and catchy songs, this one's a keeper.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 4
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Himann | 29.03.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 38   Visited by: 190 users
14.11.2009 - 21:09
Lord_Regnier

Written by SatyriconChick on 14.11.2009 at 17:23

I think they've evolved and progressed with each album. I actually love that no two Satyricon albums sound alike. To me, it gets boring when a band puts out the same stuff year after year.

Yeah, they 'evolved' from a great Black Metal band into a shitty commercial pseudo Black Metal for the masses act. Perfect example of when a band changes for the worst.
You can spare me such 'evolution'.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.11.2009 - 21:57
Rating: 10
SatyriconChick

Written by Lord_Regnier on 14.11.2009 at 21:09

I think they've evolved and progressed with each album. I actually love that no two Satyricon albums sound alike. To me, it gets boring when a band puts out the same stuff year after year.

Yeah, they 'evolved' from a great Black Metal band into a shitty commercial pseudo Black Metal for the masses act. Perfect example of when a band changes for the worst.

If you don't like it, then guess what? You don't have to listen. Judging from interviews I've read, I don't think the band care. There are a lot of people who like their last two releases, so it shouldn't really be any skin off their noses.
14.11.2009 - 22:45
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Well done review, agree with the score. frankly, i just find their last couple albums fairly boring. i really liked "Volcano" - there was at least some differentiation in the songs, it seemed. with the last couple Satyricon albums the songs basically had the same feel and same tempo. if you are not paying attention, it's tough to tell when one song ended and the next began. only the chorus gives you an idea.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.11.2009 - 22:32
Lord_Regnier

Written by SatyriconChick on 14.11.2009 at 21:57

Judging from interviews I've read, I don't think the band care. There are a lot of people who like their last two releases, so it shouldn't really be any skin off their noses.

So what? They can think whatever they want and I couldn't care less.
It's only music that matters to me. The opinion of musicians, I don't need and can spare.
I highly doubt the opinion of strangers who live in foreign countries and whom I will never meet in life can make even the slightest change in my life.
----
16.11.2009 - 04:51
Rating: 10
SatyriconChick

Written by Lord_Regnier on 15.11.2009 at 22:32

Written by SatyriconChick on 14.11.2009 at 21:57

Judging from interviews I've read, I don't think the band care. There are a lot of people who like their last two releases, so it shouldn't really be any skin off their noses.

So what? They can think whatever they want and I couldn't care less.
It's only music that matters to me. The opinion of musicians, I don't need and can spare.
I highly doubt the opinion of strangers who live in foreign countries and whom I will never meet in life can make even the slightest change in my life.

Yeah, so good for you. Listen to whatever you like and I'll listen to whatever I like. But complaining about what you don't like back and forth just because you disagree with my personal opinions is seriously getting old. Move on.
16.11.2009 - 14:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Satyricon for me is a band that got way better with their new albums than their old ones. Way more orignal nowadays and have created a sound of their own whereas their first couple of albums were strongly influenced by the other Norwegian black metal bands of the time.
Plus they are more less the epitome of what black metal is all about... Not giving a fuck what other people think.
Also calling the music they now play commercial is ridiculous. Cause they have sold less with their newer albums than with their overrated old ones.

This is certainly a case of a band changing for the best. Emperor is another example. Whereas Dimmu Borgir is one that changed for the worse.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2009 - 01:55
VPeter

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.11.2009 at 14:46

Also calling the music they now play commercial is ridiculous. Cause they have sold less with their newer albums than with their overrated old ones.

Proof?source? if it's true then good riddance service them right. For their over pretentious attempt to sell out. I actually find it hilarious when people claim that Satyricon do it to give the middle finger to kvlt black metallers and they "reinvent" with atrocious commercial albums such as this one and The Age of Zero. really there is no real change except that Now, Diabolical is vulcano but made radio rock, hell they don't even hide it and there clips of Now, Diabolical and The age of Zero and their really wannabe tough rockstar looks now days.
20.11.2009 - 00:52
Lord_Regnier

Written by VPeter on 17.11.2009 at 01:55

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.11.2009 at 14:46

Proof?source? if it's true then good riddance service them right. For their over pretentious attempt to sell out. I actually find it hilarious when people claim that Satyricon do it to give the middle finger to kvlt black metallers and they "reinvent" with atrocious commercial albums such as this one and The Age of Zero. really there is no real change except that Now, Diabolical is vulcano but made radio rock, hell they don't even hide it and there clips of Now, Diabolical and The age of Zero and their really wannabe tough rockstar looks now days.

As much as I usually agree with you, Marcel, allow me to disagree totally on this one.
So, the new albums sell less than the old ones? Perfectly normal, if you ask me. It's because the old albums are immensely superior to the worthless crap Shittirycon are doing nowadays.

The word 'commercial' is not a matter of sales but a matter of musical direction, of attitude.

I agree with you, Pétur: atrocious commercial albums.

Also, about this 'giving the middle finger to kvlt black metallers' argument some people use to defend bands like Satyricon and Darkthrone, it's no more than a lame excuse to release worthless garbage that sounds kinda like crappy old bands (Motorhead, Hellhammer, etc).
And where's the originality in trying to sound like boring outdated bands?
----

Hits total: 7523 | This month: 9