Disc II [limited edition bonus disc]
01. The Ward
02. Spring MCMLXXIV
03. Cusp Of Eternity [live]
04. The Drapery Falls [live]
05. Voice Of Treason [live]

Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouthshire, Wales.
Produced by Mikael Akerfeldt.
Co-production by Opeth and Tom Dalgety.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt.
Mastered by Pascal Byrne.
Engineered by Tom Dalgety.

All Lyrics Written by Mikael Akerfeldt.

Artwork designed by Travis Smith.
Artwork concept by Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
When a trailblazing monster of a cult act turns into a '70s prog tribute band, there's surely going to be some backlash. Opeth have been getting loads of backlash (deserved and not) since 2011's Heritage. I have no doubt that Sorceress will be met by many with at least the same amount of hostility. Whether or not it's justified is a different story; let's see how different they are.

Read more ››
published 03.10.2016 | Comments (39)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 166   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1529 users
01.08.2016 - 21:54
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Instead we rehash 70's prog rock music.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.08.2016 - 23:57
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
That too.
09.08.2016 - 23:53
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm looking forward to getting this album! I dig Opeth's newer prog stuff alongside their older death metal work.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.08.2016 - 02:49
Mattybu
The title track is pretty much just awful. Makes me wonder how many worthwhile ideas Opeth have left in the tank, if any. As much as I love them, probably couldn't see myself listening to this ever when the full thing comes out.
22.08.2016 - 02:07
Erudon
I love this band, but now it is just boring for me, i didnt feel anything listening to the title track.
19.09.2016 - 15:37
Rating: 6
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Gets quite good past the first four tracks, but nothing too mesmerizing
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.09.2016 - 18:25
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Really not impressed with this release. Oh well, I didn't expect much
20.09.2016 - 05:47
Rating: 8
Nicko's Nose
Very good album. Pretty diverse.
20.09.2016 - 06:46
Rating: 4
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The leak is a really low quality one, right? It sounds like it's being played in a soundproof room and you are listening from outside. Really hope it's not the mixing.
20.09.2016 - 10:36
Very boring album overall, some songs (the heavier ones) just sound like you are hearing modern, more corny and boring, Alice in Chains.
The acoustic songs are really bad done, Opeth is just triying too hard.
Way better than the last two pieces of garbage tho.
4/10
21.09.2016 - 10:48
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
It sounds bad. I do hope it's because it's a leaked version.
21.09.2016 - 11:56
mz
Still have not heard this, and probably will not, but what makes the situation with Opeth so aweful is the fact that they ditched the style they invented masterfuly to adopt a third rate 70s prog rock. They are not good at prog rock. The fact is that there had been many better bands doing that in 70s itself, and there are many bands doing it much better than opeth these days.
There is nothing wrong with not liking the new opeth just because it lacks distorted heady guitars and growls. Mood of the music is set by the collective effect of the sounds incorporated to make it, so, for me new Opeth will never have the same mood of the old opeth. This is like saying that you can play OSDM by acoustic guitar and still the mood will be the same.
Musicians have the right to choose the direction they want for their music, and the fans also have the right to have their own opinion on that. It is not like everyone dislikes them just because they changed.The fact is that if a band no named Opeth wanted to make what Opeth is making now, I still would not rate it higher than 6.FACT.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.09.2016 - 14:57
MikeVonDoom
There are too much other band influences and none is from original Opeth sound.
21.09.2016 - 16:14
Rating: 4
Unhealer
Eclecticist
To be fair, Chrisalys does sound like the real Opeth, that's by far the best song. Then there's The Seventh Sojourn which sounds like a Storm Corrosion leftover but it's quite good. The rest is garbage or meh, and on top of that, I think it's the production of the album that makes it sound this bad, not the leak being low quality.
Worst Opeth album so far... too bad
21.09.2016 - 21:22
koob
Incredible, they managed to do worse than Heritage...
22.09.2016 - 01:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.09.2016 - 11:13
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Daniel quoted above about Opeth saying,

Quote:
Obviously some people want us to record the records that they want to hear, basically a rehash of Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries. And it's impossible for us to do that, so they can complain for all of eternity

Well, they comprehended "some people" wrongly, it's majority.

If they can't write a music what fans want, they better should quit. What they doing right now is something my cousin sister crafts better song on guitars than what Opeth has come up with. Just because you brought elements like "Sitar" into consideration to give a soothing feel to record/bifurcate into different songwriting then also it no better helps me out to appreciate new album of Opeth.

Finished my listening just the other night, feels like it stuck in-between "Heritage" and "Pale Communion". Nothing spectacular, inspiring and feel to the record that stands out from other prog records.

Akerfeldt love for 70's prog has pisses in all over new record, dryly spilled new songs, looks nasty aesthetically and totally boring.
22.09.2016 - 11:25
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.09.2016 at 11:13

If they can't write a music what fans want, they better should quit.

There will be new fans. They wil lose you, but gain someone else.
Besides, who gave you the right to decide whether bands should quit or not? You dislike their new musical direction, fine. You can stop listening to them.
22.09.2016 - 11:52
Paz
Elite
Daniel is like a broken record...

I don't mind the change in style if it is good enough (Disillusion is a prime example of that). But let's face the facts, this album is just mediocre, no matter how you look at it.
22.09.2016 - 12:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Daniell on 22.09.2016 at 11:25

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.09.2016 at 11:13

If they can't write a music what fans want, they better should quit.

Besides, who gave you the right to decide whether bands should quit or not? You dislike their new musical direction, fine. You can stop listening to them.

I've stopped paying attention way back.

As far as quitting is concerned, i said in reference to the fans( majority of the fans). Obviously, you going to gain some new fans but will still be in minority of those who wants Opeth to shine on that sound for which they been truly made of.

Always felt like they been bifurcated from what they're good at it and incorporating new elements which isn't going to fit well in "Opeth sound" forcibly implies in studios. Mind you, it's Akerfeldt record not from Opeth, just like Megadave.

Certainly i'm not the one who decides whether Opeth should quit or not, but what i genuinely feel is Opeth will be hell lot of better without Akerfeldt.
22.09.2016 - 12:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Paz on 22.09.2016 at 11:52

I don't mind the change in style if it is good enough (Disillusion is a prime example of that).

Good example.

One great example i can attest here is WIITR. Look the way they've altered the sound and this new sound is mesmerizing and fantastic. Fits well with new musical direction WITTR took upon.
22.09.2016 - 12:15
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Paz on 22.09.2016 at 11:52

Daniel is like a broken record...

So are you, and everyone that whines about changes of direction. You had 2 previous albums to get used to the new, controversial direction. If you haven't yet, perhaps you should stop caring.
22.09.2016 - 12:23
Paz
Elite
Written by Daniell on 22.09.2016 at 12:15

You had 2 previous albums to get used to the new, controversial direction. If you haven't yet, perhaps you should stop caring.

Indeed, I don't care. Never been a fan.
22.09.2016 - 12:23
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Daniell on 21.09.2016 at 10:48

It sounds bad. I do hope it's because it's a leaked version.

Production sucks even in the official videos
So it's probably not just the leak
----
22.09.2016 - 12:26
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
This album isn't bad because it lacks growls. Opeth has made at least one album without growls that is great. I, for one, liked both Damnation and Pale Communion and not even Heritage was this bad. This is bad because the songwriting and the production are bad.

However if any of you have only heard the three released songs, good news, the rest are a bit/lot better.
----
22.09.2016 - 13:45
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by RaduP on 22.09.2016 at 12:23

I hate how bassy it is. Everything else is hidden behing thundering bass. I literally have to reduce bass in my sound system at home, in my car and in my phone. I have never done it before.
22.09.2016 - 13:55
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Daniell on 22.09.2016 at 13:45

Written by RaduP on 22.09.2016 at 12:23

I hate how bassy it is. Everything else is hidden behing thundering bass. I literally have to reduce bass in my sound system at home, in my car and in my phone. I have never done it before.

Yeah, me too

I also hate the keyboard, at least in the Sorceress single. Hadn't it been Opeth, a band I love, I would've stopped the music once the first keyboard notes hit.

The vocals aren't as top notch as they used to be, too. And I think it's not just Akerfeldt getting older.
----
22.09.2016 - 20:09
Rating: 9
TemplarLS
Great album
25.09.2016 - 16:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by mz on 21.09.2016 at 11:56

Still have not heard this, and probably will not, but what makes the situation with Opeth so aweful is the fact that they ditched the style they invented masterfuly to adopt a third rate 70s prog rock. They are not good at prog rock. The fact is that there had been many better bands doing that in 70s itself, and there are many bands doing it much better than opeth these days.
There is nothing wrong with not liking the new opeth just because it lacks distorted heady guitars and growls. Mood of the music is set by the collective effect of the sounds incorporated to make it, so, for me new Opeth will never have the same mood of the old opeth. This is like saying that you can play OSDM by acoustic guitar and still the mood will be the same.
Musicians have the right to choose the direction they want for their music, and the fans also have the right to have their own opinion on that. It is not like everyone dislikes them just because they changed.The fact is that if a band no named Opeth wanted to make what Opeth is making now, I still would not rate it higher than 6.FACT.

+1

Couldn't agree more. Exactly what I feel.
25.09.2016 - 23:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Just heard first two tracks and sounds like Ghost with clean vocals tbh. No prog at all and too much radio rock and the mellotrons are plain lame. :/

Hits total: 28388 | This month: 66