Metal Storm logo
Using the 'Alt+S' Function

‹‹ Back to Bugs
29.03.2007 - 20:25
GT
Coffee!!
Ever since I updated my Firefox browser a couple of days ago I haven't been able to use the 'Alt+S' function when posting...anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it? The version of Firefox is 2.0.0.3

EDIT: just tried posting when using Explorer and it worked, so it might just be Firefox
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
31.03.2007 - 03:33
Raiden
Down Under Staff
It's not a bug. I recently updated too, and it's just that in the new Firefox, Alt+S is reserved for opening the History menu. When you press Alt, you jump up to the File, Edit, etc menu. Pressing Alt+F brings the file menu down for you, and it just so happens that Alt+S makes the History menu come down. It's just an unfortunate coincidence.

Internet Explorer does the same thing with Alt. (Try Alt+A for Favourites for example). There's no menu that needs Alt+S though, so that's why it works with IE.

Can you put up with it for the new spell check feature?
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
31.03.2007 - 10:35
GT
Coffee!!
Thanks...eventhough Alt+S doesn't open the History menu for me...I have Firefox in Danish so here it's Alt+I.

Haven't seen the spell check feature...is it a an extra feature you can install?
----

01.04.2007 - 10:52
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Ohh of course. Well you know what I mean anyway.

The spell check thing should've come with it. You just install Firefox, and from the second use onwards, it should happen. It works whenever you are typing something into a text box (like in an MS forum post).

You can also install dictionaries with it. I have the Australian dictionary installed on mine. Just visit mozilla's site and you can install the Dansk one - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3
----
- Bruce Dickinson

01.04.2007 - 11:07
GT
Coffee!!
Thanks...I try it out ASAP
----

18.04.2007 - 18:01
Raiden
Down Under Staff
No problems. How did it go for you?
----
- Bruce Dickinson

18.04.2007 - 18:42
GT
Coffee!!
I uninstalled it again...never used it and got a little annoyed by it...but I bet many will find it a nice feature
----

19.04.2007 - 06:36
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Ahh ok. Yeah, I find it as a useful feature. If it's a long and complicated word that I haven't really seen or whatever, I don't have to copy it into MS Word to check it
----
- Bruce Dickinson