02. Short-Time News
03. The End Of Light
04. All I Need
05. Silent Maze
06. Flow
07. More Than
08. Infected Ground
09. You Don't Know Me

After 5 years of stillness, German Progressive Metal band, Dreamscape returns with their new album, properly entitled "End Of Silence".
Dreamscape is a band with history, founded in 1986 and with only 2 releases before this (1997's "Trance Like State" and 1999's "Very"), they had many line-up changes and bad record deals, so don't be afraid if you don't know them since they're relatively unknown outside of Germany.

I honestly must say that I didn't knew the band after they released this album under their new label, Massacre Records, so this was an unexpected surprise to me.
And when I say unexpected, I mean unexpected in the good way, because this record is really good!
Dreamscape could be defined as the German Dream Theater, although the band is not a carbon copy of the kings of Prog Metal, the resemblances are obvious, mostly in the instrumental parts and the vocals.

The album start with a great song, full of intricate arrangements and great keyboards, "Clockwork" may not be your typical faster-than-the-speed-of-light opener, but surely makes a great mid-paced Prog tune.
"Short-Time news" begins with a soft and mellow piano, a dreamy guitar solo, and an overall soothing mood, but suddenly chunky guitar riffs enter the arena and transform the mellow song into a great piece, with excellent tempo variations between the chorus and the instrumental parts.

One of the real highlights of the album is the third track, "The End Of Light" is the mandatory lengthy song in a Progressive Metal album, but this time this guys exceeded it, because this song is more than 20 minutes long!
But don't worry because the song manages to keep it interesting and fresh all through it's lengthiness, I was particularly attracted to the first 3 minutes, a classical intro filled with violins and other classical instruments, the sound is so intense that you feel like in an action movie or something like that.

The album also has the mandatory soft, balladesque song, "All I Need" fills this spot, while "Infected Ground" contains the ABC of "how to show yourself and your skills in a Progressive Metal song", which, they do really good.

At the end we have a solid Progressive Metal release, listenable and enjoyable, maybe this is not the most original piece in Prog history, but I assure that is really good.
Now that Dreamscape has a established formation, is time to make a little effort and show up more often, because talent like this can't stay in Germany, or in Europe, the whole world must enjoy the talent of these guys.

Written by Undercraft | 04.05.2004

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 9 users
28.07.2016 - 17:17
Mountain King
K i K o
Great band and nice album...
02.10.2023 - 20:37
Rating: 9
DarkWingedSoul

Yes, have to agree, this a prog gem indeed, resembles to awake era DT... and even earlier.

Hits total: 3357 | This month: 16