Metal Storm logo
The Black Mages

30.03.2007 - 13:18
Basso
Account deleted
Well since I am a huge fan of Final Fantasy and its soundtrack, when I discovered this band I went nuts. It really is an incredible band that plays progressive rock/metal covers of classic final fantasy tracks. Worth mentioning is that Nobou Uematsu is the leader of the band!

Here is an describtion of the band from wikipedia:

""The Black Mages are a Japanese instrumental rock band formed by Nobuo Uematsu,[1] composer for various video games in the Final Fantasy series. The band arranges Uematsu's musical compositions in a rock style[1] often similar to progressive metal, achieved with the additional use of synthesizers.

The band has released two studio albums, the first containing only combat-related instrumentals. It was released eponymously as The Black Mages in 2003. The second album?The Skies Above?was released in 2004 and features a wider array of pieces. Guest vocalists Tomoaki Watanabe (as "mr.goo") and Kazco Hamano appear on separate tracks, and an original track titled "Blue Blast - Winning the Rainbow" was created for Japanese K-1 fighter Takehiro Murahama.[2] The Black Mages have appeared on several other video game-related (mostly Final Fantasy) albums. According to Uematsu, The Black Mages will produce their third album in the near future with an extra disc centered on Japanese mythology.[3][4] ""

Well anyway is anyone else here a fan of this band? I really really enjoy them and they are one of my fav nonmetal bands. All final fantasy fans must check them out right now.

My fav songs from them atm is "Clash On The Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V)" , "Those Who Fight Further (Final Fantasy VII)", "Maybe I'm a Lion (FINAL FANTASY VIII)" and "Vamo' Alla Flamenco (FINAL FANTASY IX)".
Almost all of their songs are nothing short if brilliant though. I am really looking forward to their album that is to be released this year.

well anyway if there are any fans of this band here! Discuss!
30.03.2007 - 16:08
Baz Anderson
staff
probably my favorite 'tune' from any Final Fantasy I have played is the music while you are on the bridge on FFV fighting Gilgamesh and his minions..
I heard The Black Mages version and its ok.. it sounds different though. I just prefer the original MIDI from the game.. I dont think there is any need to metal up these songs
still I suppose its a must have for big fans of metal and the Final Fantasy series
30.03.2007 - 16:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've never heard this band. I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy music though (I don't play anymore, but I still love the music) so I probably should check them out someday!
----
30.03.2007 - 18:51
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I was actually going to open a thread on these guys a while ago, but I forgot In any case I love these guys. Nobuo Uometsu is a Geneous composer and I think it's awsome that he has his own band. I used to own one of their albums, it was the greatest.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
30.03.2007 - 19:16
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 30.03.2007 at 18:51

I was actually going to open a thread on these guys a while ago, but I forgot In any case I love these guys. Nobuo Uometsu is a Geneous composer and I think it's awsome that he has his own band. I used to own one of their albums, it was the greatest.

Yes whetever Nobuo Uematsu does is pure genius. For some extra nerd information: I did just get back from completing a rerun of FF7

@ Baz: In most cases I also enjoy the originals the most. But what can I say, as you said Im a sucker of both metal and Final Fantasy, put them in a mix and the result is impossible to fail.
31.03.2007 - 01:45
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Final Fantasy freaks reunite! I used to have one of their albums, I think it was the second one which had some reworked and metallized versions of game songs and some original material, I think... It was pretty good stuff indeed. Now, I can't find that album, where did I put that fukken CD?
----
Christless
27.04.2007 - 04:31
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Hahahaha ah yes the black mages, have both albums. Huge FF fan, beaten everyone. Its great to hear those amazing songs metalized. Clash on the big bridge and the FF VI boss music are my absolute favorite FF tunes. Well FF IV's boss music is one of my favorites, I wish they would do that one!
27.04.2007 - 14:45
MadGatsu
wow good to know people enjoy these kinds of bands ^^ i have both their albums and i love them. FF addict here!
Also, if you like covers from japanese bands, i woud suggest ANIMETAL. ^^ But those dudes make anime covers, obviously. For the most part that is Check them out.
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
04.05.2007 - 03:37
Inlé
I have both of their albums on my mp3.

I was way into FF soundtracks for a few months, and in that time I inevitably encountered these guys.

One bothersome thing to me is the Hammond-esque organ sound, it's definitely not enough to "kill" the atmos, but yeah it can "grate". Other than that though it's good fun renditions of FF music.

I'll always prefer the piano collections myself, but yes they are good stuff! Vamo Alla Flamencia (minus aforementioned sound ) and Those Who Fight Further are my faves

They NEED to cover "You're Not Alone" off FFIX though, it's just screaming to be "Black-Magified"
18.05.2007 - 06:53
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I just found the Black Mages' DVDs for download in the web. The first two persons to say "Fuck God!" in this thread (without quotation marks and in capital letters) will receive the links for full download for one of the DVDs by PM. :[ I guarantee.
----
Christless
29.05.2007 - 00:55
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 18.05.2007 at 06:53

I just found the Black Mages' DVDs for download in the web. The first two persons to say "Fuck God!" in this thread (without quotation marks and in capital letters) will receive the links for full download for one of the DVDs by PM. :[ I guarantee.

I grimly downloaded that live consert material hundreds of moons ago. I dare say they are not as kvlt on stage as one would necro-frostbittenly think.
30.05.2007 - 04:23
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 29.05.2007 at 00:55

Written by Darth Satanious on 18.05.2007 at 06:53

I grimly downloaded that live consert material hundreds of moons ago. I dare say they are not as kvlt on stage as one would necro-frostbittenly think.

I have the links but I haven't downloaded any of them yet, I am not fond of downloading full DVDs. But why do you say that? I mean, with this type of music we can't expect to have naked women hanging in crosses and sheep's' blood spilt all over the stage, do we?
----
Christless
30.05.2007 - 15:17
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 30.05.2007 at 04:23

I have the links but I haven't downloaded any of them yet, I am not fond of downloading full DVDs. But why do you say that? I mean, with this type of music we can't expect to have naked women hanging in crosses and sheep's' blood spilt all over the stage, do we?

Exactly, I mixed them up with Gorgoroth..

Well anyway, their live show is entertaining, but I dare say that the 2 guitarists take up way to much presence on stage, making the rest of the bands felt left out. This isnt a too big problem but I would really be more happy to see more of Uematsu and of the bassplayer (who seems to be hidden behind one of the guitarists most of the show).
30.05.2007 - 16:54
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 30.05.2007 at 15:17

Written by Darth Satanious on 30.05.2007 at 04:23

Exactly, I mixed them up with Gorgoroth..

Well anyway, their live show is entertaining, but I dare say that the 2 guitarists take up way to much presence on stage, making the rest of the bands felt left out. This isnt a too big problem but I would really be more happy to see more of Uematsu and of the bassplayer (who seems to be hidden behind one of the guitarists most of the show).

Yeah, that recorded concert never got to be released in DVD, right? The authorities took the footage because of the controversy regarding that show or something I recall reading but I don't know if bootlegged versions or something found their way in spite of this. That is a pity since I thought that that could have been an interesting concert to watch. But this thread isn't about Gorgoroth is it?

That problem may be a camera focus issue but not the band's stage presence, I guess. I think I will download these DVDs since now that I remember they are or were exclusively given in original format to the band's fan-club so that makes them cult. If I can't buy it in original format, then what is there left to do right? Here is when we see one of the positive sides of downloading I guess.
----
Christless
30.05.2007 - 17:15
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 30.05.2007 at 16:54

That problem may be a camera focus issue but not the band's stage presence, I guess. I think I will download these DVDs since now that I remember they are or were exclusively given in original format to the band's fan-club so that makes them cult. If I can't buy it in original format, then what is there left to do right? Here is when we see one of the positive sides of downloading I guess.

Yes, exactly thats the material I downloaded. The fanclub only stuff. Too bad only japaneese people can join.
21.06.2007 - 12:01
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I absolutely love the black mages! I have both of their cds, and I must say they do one hell of a job on Matoyas Cave and Dancing Mad. Then again they do an incredible job on all their songs! It's really great to hear some of my favorite songs, metalized!