Metal Storm logo
Epica - Release Lyric Video For First Single

After showing us their work in the studio, Epica have just released the first single off their new album, The Holographic Principle. For a taste of what's to come with the symphonic band's 7th album, check out the 6-minute track "Universal Death Squad". Are you impressed? Let us know your thoughts about it. It is a lyric video but also much more than that.

"The first song we unleash upon you is 'Universal Death Squad'," states guitarist and vocalist Mark Jansen. "This track is representative for The Holographic Principle, as it's a heavy and melodic album. The lyrics are dealing about advanced robotic legions with a self-determination to kill. We have chosen for a different kind of lyric-video concept in which Epica plays the track in a rehearsal room. The song is very much fun to play and I expect this one will do very well on stage. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as we did creating it!"

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Epica
Posted: 29.07.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 24   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 207 users
29.07.2016 - 21:42
Evican
Ann O'War
Not a fan of it. I really hope the album as a whole is EXCEPTIONALLY better than this song.
29.07.2016 - 22:05
It's decent. The lyrics remind me of Fear Factory for some reason though haha.
29.07.2016 - 22:31
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
The song is heavy, varied and interesting (the funky parts are cool), the guitar sound bothers me a little because i dislike this "chug chug" riffs. The song "asks" for a good guitar solo but of course Epica are not famous for guitar solos.
The lyrics are just terrible.
And it's kind of ironic how a band that depends so much on technology to create this over layered sound, speaks about soulless, manipulated humans, robotic legions and judgement day...
29.07.2016 - 23:25
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
The song is pretty awesome. This album looks promising!!!!!!
30.07.2016 - 00:04
ohmayhem
I really, really enjoyed this! Looking forward to the cheesefest!
30.07.2016 - 00:44
Cy Nide
Written by Guest on 29.07.2016 at 22:31

The song "asks" for a good guitar solo but of course Epica are not famous for guitar solos.

I didn't think the guitar solo was bad, but I get what you're saying. He definitely could've gone a bit further with it.
30.07.2016 - 01:17
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
I hate the Djent? sounding guitars, and i also got too many Gojira vibes. And one of the most important Epica parts - the vocals. I swear she could be singing another song from one of the recent albums, it's not unique or catchy, and doesn't stand above the song. A VERY average Epica song imo.
30.07.2016 - 03:25
Apolyon666
Written by Dark Cornatus on 30.07.2016 at 01:17

I hate the Djent? sounding guitars, and i also got too many Gojira vibes. And one of the most important Epica parts - the vocals. I swear she could be singing another song from one of the recent albums, it's not unique or catchy, and doesn't stand above the song. A VERY average Epica song imo.

Didn't get the whole "Gojira" comparison... it's funny... bands like Epica, Gojira, Nightwish... and any other band that are in the "elite"... get judged harshly. I think this is decent and I'm sure there are WAAAY stronger tracks on the album... as for the solo... he couldn't have done more than play the solo with his penis.... I'm looking forward to it... the album... not the penis solo...
30.07.2016 - 06:51
WinterMadness
Not a fan of the overprocessed digital guitar sound. I wish other genres would stop trying to cash in on the djent trend by imitating that awful sound.
30.07.2016 - 07:40
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Not bad, not amazing. A little different sounding for them, which was actually unexpected.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
30.07.2016 - 10:48
Kais
It's a miss or hit track. It has both the charactaristic, if not bland, Epica sounds, that made me feel like I'm listening to any other album they've released in the past, and the attempt of squeezing in an unexpected twist in the plot. I actually enjoyed the guitar solo and the heaviness of the song, but it'd be an understatement to say that the lyrics are any good whatsoever. Guess the entire album will prove itself.
30.07.2016 - 13:15
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by Kais on 30.07.2016 at 10:48

It's a miss or hir track. It has both the charactaristic, if not bland, Epica sounds, that made me feel like I'm listening to any other album they've released in the past, and the attempt of squeezing in an unexpected twist in the plot. I actually enjoyed the guitar solo and the heaviness of the song, but it'd be an understatement to say that the lyrics are any good whatsoever. Guess the entire album will prove itself.

I second these statements
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.07.2016 - 13:33
Reaper_Redeemer
I think this is the worst album teaser Epica has ever released. Seems it is gonna be unispired and bland
30.07.2016 - 13:40
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by Apolyon666 on 30.07.2016 at 03:25

Didn't get the whole "Gojira" comparison... it's funny... bands like Epica, Gojira, Nightwish... and any other band that are in the "elite"... get judged harshly. I think this is decent and I'm sure there are WAAAY stronger tracks on the album... as for the solo... he couldn't have done more than play the solo with his penis.... I'm looking forward to it... the album... not the penis solo...

I got Gojira vibes around 4:13 into the song. How am i judging them harshly. Look at my favourite bands list, Epica and Nightwish are both there. I loved Nightwish's latest album for the most part. It's not being elitist, it's stating my opinion. I've been listening to them since they started and this is one of the worst songs they've written imo. No one else has to agree.
30.07.2016 - 14:48
Apolyon666
Written by Dark Cornatus on 30.07.2016 at 13:40

Written by Apolyon666 on 30.07.2016 at 03:25

I got Gojira vibes around 4:13 into the song. How am i judging them harshly. Look at my favourite bands list, Epica and Nightwish are both there. I loved Nightwish's latest album for the most part. It's not being elitist, it's stating my opinion. I've been listening to them since they started and this is one of the worst songs they've written imo. No one else has to agree.

I respect your opinion dude... no harm... no foul...
30.07.2016 - 16:50
Ruchesko
That title just makes me think of an old DragonForce track.
30.07.2016 - 19:04
Akula
Written by Ruchesko on 30.07.2016 at 16:50

That title just makes me think of an old DragonForce track.

Lol me too!. Revolution Deathsquad, amazing song.
30.07.2016 - 22:09
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Not blown away but not disapointed either. A song like this seems like it may be a slow burner that gets better with more listens but time will tell. Npnetheless, excited for the album!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
31.07.2016 - 00:54
Ellinor
Not a big fan of Epica but I enjoyed this one.
31.07.2016 - 18:57
Musically it's good, but my god, the lyrics are really bland. Hoping for the whole to be better than this.
01.08.2016 - 17:04
mariano
Written by Guest on 29.07.2016 at 22:31

And it's kind of ironic how a band that depends so much on technology to create this over layered sound, speaks about soulless, manipulated humans, robotic legions and judgement day...

...Ironic and unoriginal, Fear Factory has been exploiting this idea for more than 20 years.
01.08.2016 - 23:14
RockSplendid
Everything about the video was great except the lyrics which I hated! So not blended into the song, cheesy in a way!

NB is doing a good job with making its bands releasing studio record videos and lyric videos.
02.08.2016 - 21:34
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I quite like it actually. The lyrics are awful of course.
24.08.2016 - 06:44
Iced Dog
Ugh, sounds too much like something off Requiem For The Indifferent, the only Epica album I don't care for. Hopefully the rest will be better *fingers crossed*
----

Hits total: 3284 | This month: 5