Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Lyric Video Launched

Today you can finally hear new Opeth music! The Swedish band just premiered a lyric video for the title track of their new album Sorceress, due out on September 30th, 2016 via Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Records. Fans had to wait two years to hear new material. Do not hesitate and listen to the 6-minute long track below.

More details about Sorceress can be found at this location.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 01.08.2016 by Paz

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 57   Visited by: 451 users
02.08.2016 - 03:37
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Intro = Meh, doesn't make sense with the rest of the song.
Verses = Drop A, nice... but quite boring.
Choruses = Amazing. Mikael is getting better and better as a clean vocalist.
Middle section = Great as well.
Outro = Meh and also doesn't make any sense with most of the song.

This is like a good sandwich with shitty bread and some bad condiment.
02.08.2016 - 03:51
Desert Father

I love the intro, very Gentle Giantish.

It's a bit unstructured though, unfortunately to me sounding like Heritage, which was just a collection of semi-interesting riffs put together without particular rhyme or reason. I think Opeth haven't completely abandoned the idea that they need to be a 'metal' band to please the fans.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
02.08.2016 - 04:17
MrEdu3

I heard 6 times and i like, despite being waiting some growls.
02.08.2016 - 05:06
Liquid

Not a bad track, if you ask me. Only real issue is that stupid intro. Man, I love me some noodly prog stuff, but it totally throws the whole track off. I think reactions would be a lot better if the first thing people didn't hear wasn't the same thing that had been annoying them for two straight albums.

But Mikey sounds fantastic. If Opeth wants to take a Katatonia/Anathema sort of route, I'm all for it. He can carry it. They just need to write songs worthy of that sound.
02.08.2016 - 10:13
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Liquid on 02.08.2016 at 05:06

Not a bad track, if you ask me. Only real issue is that stupid intro.

Unnecessary intros/outros were what made "Heritage" so annoying, among other things.
This one isn't that bad, but I do agree that the song would be better without it.
02.08.2016 - 11:06
Bananatron

Never could really get into this band, and it doesn't look like I ever will
02.08.2016 - 11:38
X-FrEaK

I dont even care for the REAL or TRUE Opeth...I only want GOOD Opeth back. Fucking Christ they pulled of a masterpiece called Damnation without Mickael guturals... At least they will play in Portugal this friday, and the recent setlists have been somewhat nice
----
02.08.2016 - 11:43
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 01.08.2016 at 20:57

Written by 3rdWorld on 01.08.2016 at 20:56

I would really recommend Watershed more than any other from their output. It is really good and it is a perfect swansong to THE REAL Opeth.

Yeah, it's funny though as it's kind of a not-so-liked album by many, but probably joint best for me.

I've noticed that as well. Many people seem to hate it, but I honestly prefer it to Ghost Reveries and find it about on par with their older albums like Blackwater Park and Still Life, as much as people will probably disagree with me. Probably the last truly great Opeth album.
----
02.08.2016 - 11:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 02.08.2016 at 11:43

I've noticed that as well. Many people seem to hate it, but I honestly prefer it to Ghost Reveries and find it about on par with their older albums like Blackwater Park and Still Life, as much as people will probably disagree with me. Probably the last truly great Opeth album.

Yeah Ghost Reveries was a little too all over the place for me. Maybe Watershed will be a future Opeth classic when people get sick of waiting for Opeth to go back to BWP and look back at it more fondly
02.08.2016 - 11:59
JF ooo

Well, jazz metal is "remarkable and rightful" term only on a little part of song, blend of organ, wild drums are usually necessary in Opeth albums and all mixed to a weird song with hard slow riff,but without enough enjoying effect for me. Progrock style drifting to "old school elements of Pink Floyd, Deep Purple etc." (like 2 last albums), but in quality after hearing title track seems somewhere between Heritage and Pale Communion. And 1 unawaited bad thing, vocals are bad production,downscaled (is it believable in Opeth albums with perfect production ? Or have I low quiality player or streaming in net ?). Now,wait for whole album and final result. My expectation logically was mix of Watershed and Pale Communion,but it isn´t in 1st song, the rest we´ll can hear.
02.08.2016 - 12:24
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Jaeryd on 02.08.2016 at 11:43

Many people seem to hate it, but I honestly prefer it to Ghost Reveries and find it about on par with their older albums like Blackwater Park and Still Life, as much as people will probably disagree with me. Probably the last truly great Opeth album.

Still Life, Blackwater Park, Watershed - that would be my 3 favourite Opeth albums too, in that order.
02.08.2016 - 12:37
The Hammer33

Well... I kinda like it. Doesn't come close to satisfying my great hopes and expectations of the [once] greatest band on earth (IMO). Not sure I'd find it as interesting without having the visuals as well.

Sadly while this new style can show off Mike's vocals, it has definitely hidden his amazing skills on guitar.
02.08.2016 - 12:53
Desert Father

Written by JF ooo on 02.08.2016 at 11:59

And 1 unawaited bad thing, vocals are bad production,downscaled (is it believable in Opeth albums with perfect production ? Or have I low quiality player or streaming in net ?).

I noticed as well that it was pumping like crazy and it sounded very compressed. I can't find any notes about the production, maybe the label got them to use a different engineer/producer? It doesn't sound like Steven Wilson's style at all.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
02.08.2016 - 13:38
garmling
Account deleted
No, this is not jazz metal, this is hippie/Doors metal.....with a bit of Danzig influence....
02.08.2016 - 14:52
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I like this
02.08.2016 - 18:08
Devil Eyes

Yeah...this is really good...I like it. A bit heavier and darker than the last album. This just proves to me they don't have to go backwards with their sound or go back to death metal growls to be the Opeth I loved all those years. Although I thought Heritage was decent, Pale Communion just didn't speak to me and had me concerned for their future. I now look forward to hearing the rest of Sorceress.
03.08.2016 - 03:57
Khold Baroness

AMAZING FUCKING SONG!!
03.08.2016 - 06:54
Opethian

Written by Khold Baroness on 03.08.2016 at 03:57

AMAZING FUCKING SONG!!

03.08.2016 - 09:31
satthia

Ever since Heritage, their songs don't seem to flow very well. I'm not complaining about the new style, I honestly just think the songwriting is jarring and bizarre.

PS I liked PC more than Heritage, thought it was a step in the right direction with songwriting.
04.08.2016 - 04:41
Traezeus

I didn't think it was bad, but I wouldn't say it was particularly great, either. Maybe it will grow after more listens. Overall, I'd say I like it more than most of the songs on their past 2 releases, though. I would SO much rather have something in lieu of Watershed; that was their last great release IMO.
04.08.2016 - 05:10
Khold Baroness

Written by Opethian on 03.08.2016 at 06:54

Written by Khold Baroness on 03.08.2016 at 03:57

AMAZING FUCKING SONG!!

04.08.2016 - 11:52
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Traezeus on 04.08.2016 at 04:41

I would SO much rather have something in lieu of Watershed; that was their last great release IMO.

I'm afraid that will never happen, they said it in an interview. In my opinion this song is as heavy as it gets for present day Opeth. It's not bad, but its beginning seems redundant and it makes the song worse.
04.08.2016 - 15:17
Traezeus

Written by Daniell on 04.08.2016 at 11:52

Written by Traezeus on 04.08.2016 at 04:41

I would SO much rather have something in lieu of Watershed; that was their last great release IMO.

I'm afraid that will never happen, they said it in an interview. In my opinion this song is as heavy as it gets for present day Opeth. It's not bad, but its beginning seems redundant and it makes the song worse.

Yeah I'm afraid of the same. At least we can go back and enjoy their previous work for what it is, though. I'll reserve my final judgement until I hear "Sorceress" in full.
04.08.2016 - 15:39
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Traezeus on 04.08.2016 at 15:17

Yeah I'm afraid of the same. At least we can go back and enjoy their previous work for what it is, though. I'll reserve my final judgement until I hear "Sorceress" in full.

I think that "Pale Communion" was actually very good (except for "Elysian Woes" and "Goblin", which sucked). It's a shame that Opeth abandoned their old sound, because it was really unique. They had their own blend of genres and achieved truly great results - "Still Life", "Blackwater Park" and " Watershed" are brilliant. Almost every other album before "Heritage" is at least very good.

The big change that was brought about by "Heritage" stripped Opeth of their uniqueness. What once was a one of a kind band turned into a run-of-the-mill prog rock outfit. You could write volumes about all the inspirations that can be heard on "Heritage". I personally think that this album sucked, and is definitely the worst album in Opeth's catalogue.

But let's call it a transitional album. "Pale Communion" brings similar music, but this time the songs are much more focused (even though occasionally they still have redundant passages that seem to be glued to a song for no apparent reason), and, simply put, better. Hell, "Voice of Treason" and "Faith in Others" are masterpieces.

I do hope Opeth managed to keep this focus this time. The beginning of "Sorceress" tries to prove me wrong though...
04.08.2016 - 15:43
Satyr73

Horror !!! This is no longer the same group, but some trite music. Terrible style!
18.08.2016 - 19:28
Metren
Dreadrealm
The vocals are excellent, probably the best cleans I've heard from Mikael. The riff is decent too, but the intro is mind-numbingly boring and I honestly don't think very many people would listen to this more than once if it wasn't an Opeth song.

I've no problem with Opeth having gone prog rock, they had already released more great extreme metal albums than most bands ever will and those albums will always exist for us to enjoy. The problem seems to be that they can't write as engaging songs in their new genre, the inspiration or perhaps (I hope not) the will to work harder on songwriting seems to have disappeared to a large extent.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
26.08.2016 - 17:24
wildchild
Warchild
The intro looks like a Cyriak music style. xD

After that... quite reminds the time I listened to Place of Skulls or something.

Don't know yet. Need a full album to get the thing.
----
warchildpost.blogspot.com

Hits total: 5470 | This month: 4