03. Forever
04. Out Of My Head
05. Sin
06. Last Crusades
07. The Return Of David Gun
08. Substitudes
09. The Spirits Within
10. Fall From Grace

At last, Star Industry are back and what a fabulous come-back it was! It's been quite a long time since they released something new so i was expecting them to return with something strong, mature and ready to show that even though they were absent from the scene with discography for some time they wouldn't fail to present something fabulous! All i can say is that it was worth waiting for their third full-length effort to come out and "Last Crusades" is an album the scene needed to prove that gothic rock is not dead, on the contrary, it's still around and has a lot to offer, although some consider it dead and a case of some very few bands, but it's not this way.

The experience the band has gathered throughout the years with the accomplishment of two really strong full-length albums and tours with many well-known acts in the dark scene made them stronger and with "Last Crusades" Star Industry prove that they are one of the best bands at the moment in the gothic rock scene. I've always loved the way bands like Malaise, Lutherion/Garden Of Delight, Star Industry etc incorporated in their gothic rock sound electronic elements and their new album is no difference, in the end they managed to perfect the use of keyboards/electronics along with the traditional gothic rock feeling and a heavier edge in the guitars. Ten compositions, 45 minutes of beautiful, inspired, well-conceived and well-expressed music that will never manage to bore you, not at all, since the album's duration is the ideal one! Everything you're asking for is here! Peter Becker's deep and intense accent, something between Carl McCoy and Andrew Eldritch, keeping the alluring sharpness of the first and the deepness of the second, but also adding a personal edge to the overall interpretation, surrounds the listener and creates dreams or nightmares in the air with his vivid vocal lines, living every single word he utters, the passion is everywhere and it comes straight from the heart! The addition of the female vocals on some songs like on the intense and atmospheric title-track is always welcome since it's done in a fabulous way and paces beautifully with Peter's vocals. The use of the keyboards and the electronics is genious, for one more time from this Belgian gothic rock combo, and evoke the ideal atmosphere, either floating melodies adorning with more emotion the aesthetic of the album or more intense and dynamic ideas strengthening the powerful feeling of the moment they make their appearance. The guitar work is almost menacing at times, having a heavier sharper edge, or more traditional gothic rock driven at others, offering a variety of expression that works really well in the compositions making me think that the guitars offer their most mature and best interpretation so far in the course of Star Industry. And last but not least the rhythm section lends the groove the songs deserve, with the drumming sounding dynamic and the bass lines offering their pulse and vibe in the final outcome.

Concluding, Star Industry returned with the same passion as if they were beginning right now their career, it's just like the time didn't influence their love to music and composed something filled with heart and soul, continuing stronger than ever and yes, "Last Crusades" is a must-have album for all the gothic rock adorers and gothic metal fans (with gothic metal meaning gothic rock/dark wave influenced metal music) since it incorporates heavier guitar riffing as well. They are back and all i can say is that, despite the fact we're running the third month 0f 2007, it's one of the best gothic rock releases of the year! Don't ask me for highlights from the album, "Last Crusades" is a highlight itself, something the dark scene needed, so proceed, "fallen from grace"!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 09.03.2007 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 27 users
30.03.2007 - 21:21
GT
Coffee!!
Hmm, sounds like I'll have to check these guys out...always like when bands incorporate electronic elements if it's done good
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.05.2007 - 19:25
devils
Account deleted
these guys rock.
very nice cd
20.02.2008 - 12:13
iaberis
Advice Troll
I liked it a lot! Nice music and electro sound. Recommended!
----
Bitch! Please

Hits total: 7662 | This month: 16