[Live At Wacken 2007 DVD - Limited Edition Digipack]
01. The Edge
02. Regin Smiður
03. Lord Of Lies
04. Hail To The Hammer
05. Ragnarok
06. Wings Of Time
07. Ramund Hin Unge

Dark indigo sky. Fiery arrows. Viking longship with dragons on the prow. It seems all is ready for another onslaught - an attack of the Northern Pagans. Actually, this Northern Pagan uprising already took place in 2008, in the form of Land, but all is different from before. Týr has always been loyal to its pedigree, and by association, to the northern mythological themes to which metal bands like Amon Amarth are indebted. Land is Týr's fourth album and shows the full atmosphere of Viking culture and mores. After Ragnarok, I did not expect such a powerful album, but Heri Joensen and his friends returned with another great effort.

At first, we must notice the focal point of the band is Heri Joensen's vocals, quite rough sometimes, but in an artful way, and so clear that the listener sinks into his performance and the sensation of the folk effect is doubled. Upon hearing the first track of the album, the audience will know that it is faced with real music. The folk melodies effected by Heri Joensen's voice will make the audience appreciate the storytelling. "Gandkvæði Tróndar" intrigues and invites the listener to take a trip on a Viking ship at midnight in a dark war, with impressive cello and horns, but the music is not the only aspect; the song contains lyrics from Janus Djurhuus, who left poems in the Faroese, English, Norwegian, and Danish languages.

"Sinklars Visa" incorporates poetry left by Edvard Storm; the heavy and bulky knock, repeating the sound of the first track, is perfect. The third track is again a special delicacy to behold, progressive folk with a deep, though-provoking approach that involves the listener and uses epic poems to crystallize the atmosphere full of Viking culture in a lengthy running time.

The album also clearly dictates to the audience an increase in violence over time, largely the result of Kári Streymoy's pounding drums. Eventually, the work fully ferments, and like any work linked to Scandinavian history, Land does not leave the listener without a tale of hatred of Christianity. Land tells of the introduction of Christianity to the north, and in turn is an introduction to By The Light Of The Northern Star.

Now set sail on the Viking ships!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by The Massenger | 05.08.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 40 users
07.08.2016 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice review nice words, more axe to head or we can say to the point, not as many prof reviews write some tceh shit
I like this review but somehow this band was to folky to me in a past
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.08.2016 - 11:37
GT
Coffee!!
Very well written review. Made me revisit the album, which I find good but a bit repetative. Would probably "only" get a 7 from me.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.07.2023 - 17:35
Rating: 7
tintinb

Tyr songs for me are mostly alikee. But damn those songs are really well written though.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 3105 | This month: 12