Release date: September 2009

01. Boiled Angel
02. Buried With Leeches
03. Volcanic Birth
04. To Hieron
05. Lashed To The Grinder And Stoned To Death
06. I, Aurora
07. Totem Of Skulls

Dragged Into Sunlight is one of my favorites, even though they only have a couple of releases. DIS is a blackened sludge metal/death metal band from the U.K. The band was very underground. They have had a big cult following since this release, but now they are getting more popular. They are headlining a U.S. tour and just killed it at 2016's Maryland Deathfest! The identity of the members are unknown, but these guys are pretty talented! I've been listening to this album over and over for about a year, and I still think it is a masterpiece.

Now one thing I love about this album and band is how original they are. They are probably the only blackened sludge band, besides Primitive Man, whom they are now touring with. These guys were coming from nothing. They had one release called Terminal Aggressor to build off of. Metal has always been something that requires talent, and this is no exception. Listen to T's vocals on all the tracks and think, can you do that? No, chances are you can't. Another thing that stands out on this album is the samples used by the sometime bass player, A. Using samples to express themes in songs is just like a little pinch of spice that adds to this album's (and band's) originality.

A lot of people listen to this album and just hear a lot of noise, satanic themes, and screaming, and overall think no talent. Those people are idiots, I'm sorry. Now don't get me wrong, this album does have some extreme and dark lyrics, vocals, samples, and even sounds that will creep some people out, so be warned! I think you should just remember while listening to this: extreme music is for extreme people!

This album is also very experimental - for example, that part in the first track where it is just guitar feedback and a sample of a guy talking about how we have to be "sneaky," or the clean vocals in one of my favorite tracks off the album, "I, Aurora." The production of this album may not be great, but it's kind of like in genres like grindcore or noise; it's supposed to sound that way!

These guys really know what they're doing. I think this album is perfection, with almost nothing beating it. One of my favorites of all time. Overall, this album is a mixture of many styles of metal, with sounds similar to artists like Eyehategod, Portal, Napalm Death, Impaled Nazarene, Slayer, Godflesh, Pig Destroyer, Carpathian Forest, Taake, Black Funeral, Marduk, and Acid Bath, so if you are a fan of any of these bands, you need to check this out.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by VIG | 10.08.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Thryce
Rating:
N/A
Doom-ish Black metal
Label: Mordgrimm Records (re-released by Prosthetic Records in April 2010)
Total Running Time: 51:37

Crucial warning. Lock up the bleach and laundry detergents, and put away all the long chords and sharp knives. You'll be looking for a way out after hearing this release, so proceed with caution... 'Cus these guys are totally sick. I can't even figure out if they've taken too many meds or not enough before recording the album.

Read more ››
published 13.04.2010 | Comments (29)

Comments

Comments: 2   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 73 users
10.08.2016 - 19:19
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Not sure I'd give this album a perfect 10 but it is probably one of (if not) the best within its blackened sludge department, that much is certain. Good review, I definitely agree with your comment on the sampling, and I also love bands that feel as though their clever use of samples is what gives their music that extra bit of oomph. Couple things though

Dragged Into Sunlight definitely aren't the only blackened sludge bands out there. It's a style that's developed fairly nicely this decade. I'm not going to start name dropping bands, but if you're curious about exploring it more, have a look see over here. Also wouldn't say that this album is all that experimental either, I mean Totem Of Skulls is basically a noise track and that's pretty interesting, but that's about it. I don't really think guitar feedback or clean vocals make a band that "experimental." The follow up to this album, Widowmaker, is much more "experimental," and somewhat polarizing for that reason. Some like it, many don't.

Other than that, fairly good review. Cheers!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
12.08.2016 - 20:16
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.08.2016 at 19:19

Not sure I'd give this album a perfect 10 but it is probably one of (if not) the best within its blackened sludge department, that much is certain. Good review, I definitely agree with your comment on the sampling, and I also love bands that feel as though their clever use of samples is what gives their music that extra bit of oomph. Couple things though

Dragged Into Sunlight definitely aren't the only blackened sludge bands out there. It's a style that's developed fairly nicely this decade. I'm not going to start name dropping bands, but if you're curious about exploring it more, have a look see over here. Also wouldn't say that this album is all that experimental either, I mean Totem Of Skulls is basically a noise track and that's pretty interesting, but that's about it. I don't really think guitar feedback or clean vocals make a band that "experimental." The follow up to this album, Widowmaker, is much more "experimental," and somewhat polarizing for that reason. Some like it, many don't.

Other than that, fairly good review. Cheers!

Yeah, you've changed my mind on some things i wrote about quite a bit. I really need to check out those other blackened sludge bands, sludge and black are my two favorite genres of metal, although i love many more. Thank you.

Hits total: 5108 | This month: 12