Release date: July 2016

01. Too Many Devils And Drugs
02. Morgue Attendant
03. The Big Turnout
04. Destitute
05. Smoke Acid Shoot Pills
06. Loyal To The Foil
07. Detox

Who ever said a band needed to be original to be good? Fistula sure as hell didn't.

Founded in 1998, Fistula have been around for quite some time, and Longing For Infection only sees them continuing to do what they do best: a vile, debaucherous mixture of sludge and hardcore. It's raw, primitive, and assertive, nothing overly complex by any means, but there's still something special about it that keeps it from turning into a boring cliche of either of those two genres. It could likely be due to the band's variation of tempo, no doubt owed to their powerful "sludgecore" sound, as sometimes their music is more downtempo and crushing ("Destitute"), or sometimes more upbeat and in your face ("Loyal To The Foil"). More often than not though it's a pleasant blend of the two, with both deliveries being found in the same track ("Smoke Acid, Shoot Pills").

Another common feature of Fistula, that again rears its head on Longing For Infection, is their excellent use of audio samples. Perhaps this seems like a small ingredient in their overall formula, but as with bands like White Zombie, Dragged Into Sunlight, and others, it goes above and beyond towards reinforcing the themes of the music. Whether it's samples about necrophilia ("Morgue Attendant"), drug addiction ("Detox"), or even some drunk guy humming Kiss ("Too Many Devils And Drugs"), they all serve as that extra oomph that makes the band that much more crazy and fun to listen to.

Fistula leave very much the same type of impression with their music as Warbringer did with their 2008 debut. That is, with them it's not a matter of them doing anything new, it's a matter of them doing the old better than many others in their pack. Longing For Infection certainly isn't the most original album in either the sludge or hardcore areas, but I'll be damned if it doesn't still kick major ass.

Go get infected by these filthy Clevelanders.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 07.08.2016 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 55 users
12.08.2016 - 05:38
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
Still haven't listened to a full album by these people. Will start here.
12.08.2016 - 18:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 12.08.2016 at 05:38

Still haven't listened to a full album by these people. Will start here.

Ohai Ilham, good to see you around these here parts again
Yeah this is definitely a good group, really fun both on album and live. I think I rec'd them to you a while back for that "sludgecore" list you have on here, they'd be a worthy addition. No time like the present to start checking out their discog!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
12.08.2016 - 19:08
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Auntie Sahar on 12.08.2016 at 18:41

Ohai Ilham, good to see you around these here parts again
Yeah this is definitely a good group, really fun both on album and live. I think I rec'd them to you a while back for that "sludgecore" list you have on here, they'd be a worthy addition. No time like the present to start checking out their discog!

Heyo Cheyo! (Don't ask questions.)

Yeah I remember that, and I listened to a few songs when you did. I remember thinking "oh this is nice, needs to be listening to properly". Guess I'll do that right now.
12.08.2016 - 19:52
Ilham
Giant robot
Okay, my verdict. I really expected something heavier when you said "sludgecore", but it fits that description in a way I didn't expect: like proper 90s hardcore mixed with early Isis or something like that. I liked it very much. Thanks for the discovery.
12.08.2016 - 20:05
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 12.08.2016 at 19:52

Okay, my verdict. I really expected something heavier when you said "sludgecore", but it fits that description in a way I didn't expect: like proper 90s hardcore mixed with early Isis or something like that. I liked it very much. Thanks for the discovery.

Any time, glad you're enjoying
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 4685 | This month: 15