Metal Storm logo
Bands with long names have shorter life spans !

02.04.2007 - 01:01
Dead Ohlin
Mo.Panahi
What's your opinion about this study?!

A study by the music department at the University of Maryland has revealed interesting findings. The study covered 1633 bands, primarily in rock and heavy metal, dating as far back as the late 70s.

Bands with three or more words in their name or 15 or more letters on average were found to last only 46.6% as long as bands with shorter names and 24.7% as long as bands with single word names.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=25173
----
A man's dead body must always
have been a source of interest to
those whose companion he was while he lived ...
02.04.2007 - 10:29
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
There are lot many retarded around , i mean how can someone make a relation between the band getting disbanded with the length of the band name What a jerk.

"It seems to be a simple cause and effect relationship. Bands and especially their fans just don't want to put up with saying those ridiculously long names or coming up with abbreviations that are just as hard to pronounce. Over time, as fans tire and defect, the bands' motivation to continue wanes," Dr. Dubrow, a researcher, explained.

Total ROTFL stuff
02.04.2007 - 13:38
RavenLord
Hence why all these metalcore bands are going to die a horrible fiery death...BFMV/A7X/FFAF etc.

Also, does this apply to album/song titles? Demilich may have split-up (no doubt thanks to such mouthfuls as 'The Plane That Once Used To Absorb Flesh In Order To Achieve Divinity And Immortality (Suffocated To The Flesh That It Desired)), but Bal-Sagoth are still going strong!
----
02.04.2007 - 19:02
GT
Coffee!!
staff
@Marcel: the short named bands were the ones that lived the longest.

Well all those scientist have to find new ways to entertain themselves...can't all revolutionise the world
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
02.04.2007 - 19:31
RavenLord
Ummm...just so everyone knows, this 'study' was posted yesterday...as in April 1st.
----
02.04.2007 - 20:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
@RavenLord: Haha, yeah that crossed my mind too.
----
02.04.2007 - 20:33
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Ah, 1st April... This makes it sound even less serious. I dont think i could like a band less just because the name is 2 letters longer than another one..... Does this really deserve a topic ?
02.04.2007 - 20:56
Bitch Boy
I heard that before, about bands with long names not lasting as much as other bands with shorter names. I don't know if this is completely true, but The Sins Of Thy Beloved comes to my mind, they lasted very little and were a great band. Maybe it's because people remember catchy names and usually catchy names are kind of short.
03.04.2007 - 03:05
APOHAKC
The Bard
I don't think it have any influence on bands, it is just a name, Six Degrees Of The Separation is still active and Sadus is not
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.04.2007 - 04:04
Empress
Another way to waste grant money and / or the tax payers money on stupid crap that means nothing in the long run. I don't believe that that length of your name has any bearing on longivity of a band. A shorter name may make it easier to read or pronoun than a longer name but I believe the quality of music and lyric makes a band stand out. Of course a good manager and commerically promotable is always a factor too as it is always about the money.
03.04.2007 - 06:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Hmm this is wierd. Part of me thinks this is untrue, but now that I look at my music list, Black Label Society has the highest syllable count out of any major band on my music list. Im still thinking its just a coincidence.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.04.2007 - 23:35
Remus
Oh yes, let us take "Europe" as an example.
It's a rather short name right? And this band lasted a whole
1.5 to 2 years! Yeah, this survey is definately accurate, pause, NOT!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.04.2007 - 00:08
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Haha Europe ... Maybe they didn't last much time ... but hey, The Final Countdown is not something you'll stop hearing soon. There are so many different versions.. I won't say if it's a good or bad thing, but Norther's version is just great . Ah, Norther, another band with a short name.
Let's just hope this one lasts forever .

*sings*
04.04.2007 - 08:00
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ oh and here comes Norther lover

Anyways some of the kickass long band name ( more then 15 words) :

Last Days Of Humanity
Carpathian Forest
Dark Tranquillity
Prostitute Disfigurement

more later
06.04.2007 - 13:44
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Bitch Boy on 02.04.2007 at 20:56

I heard that before, about bands with long names not lasting as much as other bands with shorter names. I don't know if this is completely true, but The Sins Of Thy Beloved comes to my mind, they lasted very little and were a great band. Maybe it's because people remember catchy names and usually catchy names are kind of short.

u took the word from my mouth. i opened that threat to mention this great and one of my fav bands which disappeared after realising 2 masterpieces without announcing anything... And they still indicate "active"...
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
14.04.2007 - 19:55
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
What about Anorexia Nervosa...lots of syllables in that name and that band had a great run and the fans shouted out their name over and over at shows with all the name in tact instead of making up something short...even a band like Pain Of Salvation...we don't mind calling them PoS and they're had a great career...
15.04.2007 - 03:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
pfft...Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis have been around for years!
15.04.2007 - 03:25
heresiarch
Forever Dead
How about my older brother's band -- ÖÖ how long it would last ?
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...