04. Geometric Headdress
05. Hearts/Wires
06. Pittura Infamante
07. Xenon
08. (L)MIRL
09. Gore
10. Phantom Bride
11. Rubicon

Fans of Saturday Night Wrist should be beyond ecstatic as Gore feels like the spiritual successor of that sound - but even if you weren't a fan of the Deftones's more experimental phase there is still a lot you'll love on Gore. While Saturday Night Wrist was a bit messy and schizophrenic, Gore takes a more subdued and focused approach. The metal edge is still there and the harsh screams still pop up on occasion but there isn't a single song that bludgeons you with aggression out of nowhere. Instead Chino Moreno utilizes the limits of his voice to create choruses that still sound unbelievably fresh and does so consistently throughout the entire album. I don't know how they keep doing it but the prime of Deftones career may be right now.

It took me a while to appreciate Gore, at first it all sounds a bit too similar and like it doesn't have the variety that Deftones is famous for. After taking some time away and giving it another shot recently I found myself instantly connecting to the entire album from start to end. Now that I know what to expect from it I find that I absolutely love what I hear. While Gore may not have a track destined to reach "Change" levels of fame, and that is hardly a criticism, I would say there are numerous tracks that rival "Be Quiet and Drive" in terms of atmosphere and impact which should be enough reason to give this album a spin.

= In Short = Gore is ultimately quite dynamic but more in the vein of the Smashing Pumpkins. Lots of different rock and alternative influences instead of the typical heavy metal fare. For those who think "Elite" is a "true Deftones song" then you're likely to be horribly offended by the content on Gore but for everyone else you'll find Gore completes an awesome trifecta with Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. Perhaps it doesn't quite reach the heights of the other two but it is still well worth having in the same conversation.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by WayTooManyCDs | 18.08.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 28 users
18.08.2016 - 05:53
Coconut Racecar

I fell in love with this one instantly, easily one of my favorites. "Prayers / Triangles" was also almost instantly one of my new favorite songs EVER. I love it so much I listened to that one song on repeat for like half an hour.

It can sometimes take a while to appreciate what these guys do but, you almost always come around after a few tries if you don't the first time.

Hits total: 2045 | This month: 7