09. Fade To Black [Live at Rasputin Music]
10. Jump In The Fire [Live at Rasputin Music]
11. For Whom The Bell Tolls [Live at Rasputin Music]
12. Creeping Death [Live at Rasputin Music]
13. Metal Militia [Live at Rasputin Music]
14. Hardwired [Live in Minneapolis]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2016

Additional info
Produced by Greg Fidelman, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Is Metallica back? Nah. Is Metallica less gone? Yeah, sure.

Read more ››
published 27.11.2016 | Comments (30)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Metallica face a rare challenge that few bands experience; when you set the high standard for a whole genre, one that many bands and fans measure against, it is a sharp double-edged sword for the band, as all future releases will be expected to match such lofty heights. It is with this blade the band fall upon their sword with Hardwired?, an album that is quite strong but nowhere near the highs the band have hit previously.

Read more ››
published 16.04.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 5

Comments: 143   Visited by: 2027 users
08.12.2016 - 10:05
Rating: 6
boo-boo

I don't feel absolutely anything listening to this.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
11.12.2016 - 17:05
Rating: 5
TizMH00

I was expecting something better, something that maybe would have made me fall in love again Metallica as it once, but it was not so.
18.12.2016 - 18:39
Himedal

Based on the comments I'm reading, I will continue not getting Metallica's albums. Such a pity for the old master thrashers.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
20.12.2016 - 21:09
Cass

Some good moments, but I almost forgot about this album. Nothing special.
21.12.2016 - 19:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yeah, this sucks.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.12.2016 - 05:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
This 2 disc album is 2 minutes shorter than Load. It could have been 1 disc. Metallica, you owe me 3 dollars.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.12.2016 - 18:11
Rating: 7
Aristarchos

I was positively surprised. Far better than "Death Magnetic", although the production is terrible.
04.01.2017 - 18:49
Rating: 8
Sepulnation

Written by Vikcen on 04.12.2016 at 15:54

After some listenings, in my opinion i would have removed from the album Am I Savage? and Murder One clearly, and bring Lords Of Summer. On the contrary, i like all songs in the first cd, but my favorite is Spit Out The Bone, yeah! great song, and i can see some influences from Ghost on Halo On Fire =)

Crushed under heavy skies, Atlas, rise!!

Did you say Ghost.... my friend??? hmmmm... :/
----
fuck shit up!
06.01.2017 - 16:47
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Sepulnation on 04.01.2017 at 18:49

What happen, don't think the same?
21.01.2017 - 17:16
Sepulnation

Written by Vikcen on 06.01.2017 at 16:47

Written by Sepulnation on 04.01.2017 at 18:49

What happen, don't think the same?

hmmm... i'm not sure... could you tell me a similar song? :/
----
fuck shit up!
22.01.2017 - 04:32
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Sepulnation on 21.01.2017 at 17:16

hmmm... i'm not sure... could you tell me a similar song? :/

Listen the last album Meliora =)
13.02.2017 - 17:29
musclassia

I actually like the vast majority of disc 1 - still not sold on Hardwired, but I like Atlas Rise, Moth to Flame, and Halo On Fire rather a lot.

Disc 2 is significantly weaker - there's good moments in each song but as complete tracks the only one of comparable quality to disc 1 in my opinion is Spit Out The Bone
18.03.2017 - 00:17
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Moth into flame and spiti out the bone. without those songs it would be worse than load...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
19.11.2017 - 08:53
MMizfall

This one is slightly better than Death Magnetic. But still very average. Doesn't matter their 80's stuff will always remain supreme
22.11.2017 - 19:06
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by musclassia on 13.02.2017 at 17:29

I actually like the vast majority of disc 1 - still not sold on Hardwired, but I like Atlas Rise, Moth to Flame, and Halo On Fire rather a lot.

Disc 2 is significantly weaker - there's good moments in each song but as complete tracks the only one of comparable quality to disc 1 in my opinion is Spit Out The Bone

In the Disc 2 i would removed Am I Savage? and Murder One from the album , and then this album would be very solid in my opinion.
03.01.2018 - 23:49
Jack_Torrance

Written by Vikcen on 22.11.2017 at 19:06

In the Disc 2 i would removed Am I Savage? and Murder One from the album , and then this album would be very solid in my opinion.

I agree with you on Murder One, but i like Am I Savage? a lot.
12.04.2018 - 00:22
Hellcult

I like vocals on this record the most i can see some decent improvement there , apart from that, few catchy riffs but not many, some solos but nothing special and drums - mostly suck no creativity there at all
This album has some moments but still far from the old days.
Shame but maybe, just maybe we will get something before the end of their carrer, Black Sabbath manage to record amazing album '13' so there should be no exeptions 'that we are to old for the god shit'
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
11.08.2018 - 01:29
TreyWeddle

If you take out Am I Savage?, ManUNkind, Here Comes Revenge, and Murder One (ugh these song titles by the way....), then you're left with a solid thrasher. The first disc is one of the first times I've felt the band playing with passion ever since the Black Album. Hardwired is a fantastic opener, and the rest of the 1st disk is very solid and sometimes even fantastic. However, if I had to cut out 4 out of the 6 songs on the 2nd disk, then is the album truly "amazing?"
25.08.2018 - 13:11
Singed

James overshadows everything, his vocal performance is simply amazing. It's a shame that Kirk doesn't hold up anymore with his now average solos. Lars is doing what he needs to do, pretty alright stuff from him, but sadly nothing too flashy, innovative and praisable. I really like Rob's bass sound though... Makes the guitars sound damn heavy.
And that's what this album is after all! Good heavy metal, with some thrashy moments here and then. Dream No More is an absolute killer, and Halo On Fire is one of the most amazing tracks Metallica has put out in YEARS.
Then there is Murder One, which is the laziest Lemmy tribute I've ever seen. WHY NOT MAKE A SONG IN MOTÖRHEAD STYLE? We will never know. What we do know though, is that this song is by far the worst, fitting on the weaker second half of this album. Why they didn't trade that sub-par song with the amazing Lords Of Summer? Or put in the 2 covers instead of Here Comes Revenge? Another thing we will never know...
Overall, this album suffers from 2 things: Lazy songwriting at some points (Am I Savage? had such potential!) and... Expectations. This album is a clear 9, if not 10. But it's a Metallica album, they should do better

I will just keep enjoying James wonderful voice. If Judas Priest didn't exist, Metallica would have the best frontman in the Metalverse right now
----
I don't play the guitar, the guitar plays me.

No, honestly. The guitar is an arsehole
13.01.2019 - 15:29
Maasai Mara

Just a heavier version of Reload with some solos here and there and a tad more interesting riffs. Every song sounds like Gasoline and as you guessed it, each song is about 1,000,000 minutes long and the cover art is crap.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
06.11.2020 - 15:33
Metal Rasputin

Not bad, really. The first disc could have been a very competent metal album on its own, Moth Into Flame is especially great song, but for some reason they decided to release every lesser song they had written instead of just putting them out separately and maybe in little more refined form.
The production isn't Death Magnetic bad, but it could have been better. The cover art is definitely their laziest and worst, especially when considering once again how much resources they have at their disposal.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
14.12.2020 - 13:08
nonZero

Finally gotten around to listening to this thing.

Disc 1: 8.5/10
Disc 2: 7/10

Overall: 7.8/10
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
23.04.2023 - 10:46
franksamuel0209

It’s a crime that Lords of Summer wasn’t on the album. That is a fantastic song.

Disc 1 has some real good songs but most are nothing that can hang with what came before and after.

Am I Savage? Is the best song on the album. Deeeeeep cut!

The album is alright and that’s not a bad thing.

Hits total: 40822 | This month: 146