09. Fade To Black [Live at Rasputin Music]
10. Jump In The Fire [Live at Rasputin Music]
11. For Whom The Bell Tolls [Live at Rasputin Music]
12. Creeping Death [Live at Rasputin Music]
13. Metal Militia [Live at Rasputin Music]
14. Hardwired [Live in Minneapolis]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2016

Additional info
Produced by Greg Fidelman, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Is Metallica back? Nah. Is Metallica less gone? Yeah, sure.

Read more ››
published 27.11.2016 | Comments (30)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Metallica face a rare challenge that few bands experience; when you set the high standard for a whole genre, one that many bands and fans measure against, it is a sharp double-edged sword for the band, as all future releases will be expected to match such lofty heights. It is with this blade the band fall upon their sword with Hardwired?, an album that is quite strong but nowhere near the highs the band have hit previously.

Read more ››
published 16.04.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 143   Visited by: 2033 users
18.08.2016 - 23:35
Rating: 8
Let the cyber wars begin...
19.08.2016 - 07:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Well, that's decent. Something that you can appreciate of what 'Tallica were doing in past 5-7 years down the line.
19.08.2016 - 09:12
Rating: 6
Hellcult
I can't belive i am actually say it but it does sounds good
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
19.08.2016 - 09:50
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Hellcult on 19.08.2016 at 09:21

I can't belive i am actually say it but it does sounds good

Why can't you believe it? The band hasn't released any new music for 8 years. They might have made something very good this time.

EDIT: I've just realized that this is their shortest song since 1983.

But then I saw that the album is double, lasts 80 minutes and contains 12 songs, which means that the average song length will be around 6:40. When will the band learn that overblown songs haven't been their strong suit since 1988?
19.08.2016 - 11:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Bland song, boring riff, song doesn't go anywhere, yes it is speedy/thrashy, but that's it.
If any other band than Metallica had released it it would be neglected.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.08.2016 - 15:20
Rating: 4
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.08.2016 at 11:53

If any other band than Metallica had released it it would be neglected.

That was exactly my thought. It was so bog standard, with quite literally nothing unique to bring to the table.
20.08.2016 - 01:19
Big-Al
Lyrics are "funny", I take it no one is gonna realize they should rewrite the lyrics before the release?

All good otherwise. Right?
----

I drink moosepiss
20.08.2016 - 02:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Big-Al on 20.08.2016 at 01:19

All good otherwise. Right?

Nope since both the riffs and the song itself are boring and bland as fuck.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2016 - 16:20
Sepulnation
Not bad at all... I'll be waiting this new release
----
fuck shit up!
22.08.2016 - 18:07
Butters49
I liked the last demo they had more... Lords of Summmer. That song was awesome.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
23.08.2016 - 14:31
Litvin
Written by Butters49 on 22.08.2016 at 18:07

I liked the last demo they had more... Lords of Summmer. That song was awesome.

sounds like old days

23.08.2016 - 14:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Damn, that Lords Of Summer song is even more bland and boring and uninspired than Hardwired.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2016 - 23:33
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Wow lords of summer is about 8 minutes too long.
26.08.2016 - 01:43
Rating: 9
reload3591
You don't have to be so damn negative all the time. Is it the riff pretty vanilla? Yep. Are the lyrics kinda of pointless and go no where? Yep. But damn if this song doesn't make me want to get off my ass and jam. It gets better with more listens too.

I think the fact that this song is so short is intentional. They aren't trying to impress us with technicality for creativity here. It's just a fun song to get you excited and feeling some energy. I'm diggin it.
26.08.2016 - 07:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by reload3591 on 26.08.2016 at 01:43

They aren't trying to impress us with technicality for creativity here.

Pretty much grounded.

Not a bad song to get away from except drums which was way out of the beat.
26.08.2016 - 10:12
Daniell
_爱情_
elite

You don't have to be so damn negative all the time.

I agree with you, but truth be told, Metallica have tried their absolute best to garner a lot of negativity around them - the movie, Lulu, and other stuff that's everything but what their fans want. Then they present this mediocre song. I'm not surprised that many people whine.
08.09.2016 - 15:29
Hellcult
Written by Daniell on 26.08.2016 at 10:12

You don't have to be so damn negative all the time.

I agree with you, but truth be told, Metallica have tried their absolute best to garner a lot of negativity around them - the movie, Lulu, and other stuff that's everything but what their fans want. Then they present this mediocre song. I'm not surprised that many people whine.

That is why i don't really care anymore. If they have got a new record once a while i will check it out without any expectations.
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
09.09.2016 - 21:49
Rating: 7
SatanSon
Bring it on and like many of us I also can't wait. more than 2 months to go.
What I really like of this new album is Lars aggressive drums. The guitars should have been more aggressive and heavier, deep base would have been great. And also I can't wait for track 4. Let us all count down.
26.09.2016 - 18:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
More new 'tallica, and I like it the most out of the new singles.

----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

28.09.2016 - 19:37
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
We came to the point when even hearing standard thrash speed metal from Metallica makes us all stand in awe. Dull stuff, but compared to shit like St. Anger, Lulu and the Loads, I'll take this.
03.10.2016 - 14:44
JF ooo
Many people are complaining, comparing or predicting what is new album about on a 2 new singles ( and no one hear it all yet, me too ). OK, it is fast, trash-oriented, Hardwired have simple structure but it works, reinvokating Kill´em all in straightforward metal riffed song, however 2nd single, Mote to the flame is fine hit, elements of old great albums, new schemes ( Kirk solos comes in moments, when they slow down song in a little while and while everyone awaits mid tempo á la Louds albums, they knock to guitars or solos and do it very effective, it holds me on enjoying ) and , in my opinion it´s coming to me like better connection on their 80´s era like self-titled album or more musically ( as many proclaimed ) last Death Magnetic. Surprise is on my side, production is also more acceptable a was in DM. So, now we can wait for whole album get out on us.
05.10.2016 - 11:20
Growing
Lol, they already wrote the lyrics for Moth into Flame for Fuel and End of the Line. I admit this songs sounds much better production wise, but they're so lacking in inspiration. Death Magnetic actually some good compositions on it even if they production let it down. Death Magnetic with the production of this record would have made a rather good album. Still nothing like Ironbound from Overkill, M16 from Sodom or everything Kreator released in the 2000s. Now, those are old bands that still know what great thrash should be like.
05.10.2016 - 11:25
Growing
What pisses me off is that ''The Day that Never Comes'' should that songwritting wise they could still compose songs like in their prime days. Maybe they should have stuck with songs like that instead of this pumped-up standard that thousand of bands can write.
05.10.2016 - 22:22
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Growing on 05.10.2016 at 11:25

What pisses me off is that ''The Day that Never Comes'' should that songwritting wise they could still compose songs like in their prime days. Maybe they should have stuck with songs like that instead of this pumped-up standard that thousand of bands can write.

The Day that Never Comes is the most overrated metal song ever, even though the first half of it is decent.
06.10.2016 - 08:12
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Risto on 05.10.2016 at 22:22

Written by Growing on 05.10.2016 at 11:25

The Day that Never Comes is the most overrated metal song ever, even though the first half of it is decent.

Overrated?

As far as i'm concerned, i saw people hating that song to death and same with the album. The only good track that sounds decent is "All Nightmare Long".
06.10.2016 - 10:44
Zap
The Day That Never Comes is not bad, but disjointed as hell and trying way too hard to be a new version of "One" at which it fails miserably.
06.10.2016 - 12:22
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Zap on 06.10.2016 at 10:44

The Day That Never Comes is not bad, but disjointed as hell and trying way too hard to be a new version of "One" at which it fails miserably.

It's almost a carbon copy of "One", with identical song structure. It's much worse, of course, but still one of the best songs on Death Magnetic. While we compare both songs, what sticks out the most is drumming. You can clearly hear how much Lars's skills deteriorated over the years. I doubt that he is sick of something that impairs his motor skills, so the only explanation is that he stopped parctising altogether. It goes well with his overblown ego, of course. That ego also shows when you look at his drum set. It has been stripped of a lot of parts over the years. Why? Because he MUST show his mug and stupid faces he makes. It's much more important to him than actuall drumming. And it shows on studio albums... Notice that both "Hardwired" and "Moth Into Flame" end with short passages of double bass drumming. Short, because he wouldn't be able to keep it up any longer. Proof? Listen to a live version of "Dyers Eve". He stopped using double bass drums many many years ago.
06.10.2016 - 15:00
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Daniell on 06.10.2016 at 12:22

It's almost a carbon copy of "One", with identical song structure. It's much worse, of course, but still one of the best songs on Death Magnetic. While we compare both songs, what sticks out the most is drumming. You can clearly hear how much Lars's skills deteriorated over the years.

It's not just drumming, some riffs are the absolute worst they've ever released. The fast section has a severe lack of taste overall.

Speaking of Lars deteriorating, I'd go even as far as saying he just stopped using a click track of any kind in concerts. The RtL deluxe remaster has live performances from 1984-85 (available on Spotify), and it's crazy how similar Creeping Death sounded back them compared to around 2010. In other words, he's never been that good
06.10.2016 - 17:17
Zap
Written by Daniell on 06.10.2016 at 12:22

It's almost a carbon copy of "One", with identical song structure. It's much worse, of course, but still one of the best songs on Death Magnetic. While we compare both songs, what sticks out the most is drumming. You can clearly hear how much Lars's skills deteriorated over the years. I doubt that he is sick of something that impairs his motor skills, so the only explanation is that he stopped parctising altogether. It goes well with his overblown ego, of course. That ego also shows when you look at his drum set. It has been stripped of a lot of parts over the years. Why? Because he MUST show his mug and stupid faces he makes. It's much more important to him than actuall drumming. And it shows on studio albums... Notice that both "Hardwired" and "Moth Into Flame" end with short passages of double bass drumming. Short, because he wouldn't be able to keep it up any longer. Proof? Listen to a live version of "Dyers Eve". He stopped using double bass drums many many years ago.

Indeed, I remember a few years ago when I saw Metallica at Pukkelpop he fucked up the double bass part on "One" so bad that some people started laughing. Including me because it was just fucking embarrassing. A few years later I did see one performance of him that still was quite ok, but really he's never been that great of a drummer when it comes to the technical side of it all.
06.10.2016 - 17:17
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Risto on 06.10.2016 at 15:00

I'd go even as far as saying he just stopped using a click track of any kind in concerts.

I don't think he ever did, it's not really common for bands to use a click track if they don't need backing tracks playing along, as bands like Nightwish, Epica do. Or a band like Meshuggah that needs to be clock precise live.

Hits total: 40915 | This month: 84