03. LCD (Liquid Crystal Disease)
04. Mountains Above The Sun
05. Ultimate Artificer
06. Pteropticon
07. Psychotropia
08. Pillars Of Sand
09. Collapse
10. Recharging The Void

I would love Vektor's thrash metal. Perhaps one of the reasons is the singing of David DiSanto, like the great Chuck Schuldiner's. But without considering this resemblance and the inspiration that Death's style had on Vektor, the adventure of these Arizona metalheads is interesting to me. From the first album, entitled Black Future, I was attracted to them; but five years doesn't seem like a bad time for the flying saucer known as Vektor to fly towards its third manifesto. If you think the main reason for the darkness of space is the non-reflectivity of light, it is necessary to travel to space with the octopus of Vektor; if you think the void needs to charge and recharge, it's necessary to listen to the tenth track. It seems Vektor traveled to space to see the astrological signs and the conclusion of our planet Earth, a conclusion, of course, of a void-world that made itself and charged up, but at last, there was no choice but to recharge/discharge it.

Now that you are prepared to listen to Vektor's third album, on Terminal Redux are ten strong thrash metal tracks with progressive elements. Though they haven't had a long history in metal music, this band has found its place among metalheads within a short time. Terminal Redux is rude, libertine thrash metal that has been bombarded with beautiful, sometimes bitter, dark-sky melodies; it drowns every listener in the din of space combat. The deafening screaming of David DiSanto in all eight tracks is like a captain at the helm of a spaceship, while the instruments gallop ahead crazily; all of the instruments on the album contrast each other and stand in opposition with the vocals that are trying to tame them. All these devices have made an album full of the cosmic music of space and the universe, standing together in unity that sounds like nothing less than a spooky symphony. Within the originality, innovation, and beauty of all these effects, however, the rough, cantankerous thrash riffs should not be forgotten, and they are no less powerful.

It must be said that the guitar solos have made significant progress; they are more diverse and the role of Eastern styles is visible. Hearing a couple of relatively long tracks like "LCD" leaves me remembering the words and themes of the film Fight Club, the enhancement of the culture of consumerism and rejection of industrial society today in condemning technology, while we also enter the information society as a slave to the latest technology on TV. "Mountains Above The Sun" has a similar role to "Voice Of The Soul" on Death's The Sound Of Perseverance, but the real turning point of Terminal Redux is "Collapse." That song is pure relaxation after this space invasion of an album, like pouring cold water on a hot body. Finally, I say that Vektor in Terminal Redux was strong, but still needs work. Now how successful is this work in your eyes?

"Relic Alshain" : Beta Aquilae is a star in the constellation Aquila.
"Psychotropia" : Utopia in this album.
"Cygnus" : A northern constellation lying on the plane of the Milky Way.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by The Massenger | 26.08.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 138 users
27.08.2016 - 00:38
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Saw them live a few days ago ... It was not necessary though, to understand that the music played by these guys is extremelly well created and difficult to play but also well executed. This leaves me wondering about the "performance" rating.

I agree with the general rating and the fact that they can do even better.

IMO if the band narrowed ALL the musical moments of the album to 50-60 minutes, we'd talk, easily, for one of the best albums of the decade...

"Psychotropia" is the ultimate guitargasm...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.11.2016 - 00:02
nikarg

This album is going to be considered a classic in the years to come. It's the best thrash I've heard since "Rust In Peace". Yes, it's that good.
14.08.2018 - 09:54
Rating: 8
metalriff

Thanks for the terminology
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531

Hits total: 5429 | This month: 16