Metal Storm logo
Behemoth

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 03.04.2007 - 16:58
Old thread reached the max, so a new one is on it's way!

@Dream Of Hate: Awh thanks man for letting me open this thread.

I am going to see them live on the 8th of April in Belgium, Antwerp together with Obituary, Napalm Death, Anaal Nathrakh and some others.

I can't wait, hope to hear some Apostasy stuff.

Besides that, I say: Discuss!
16.07.2007 - 20:16
Stigmatized
I'm awaiting Nervel's verdict. I'm curious to know how much he will like it.
17.07.2007 - 02:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ok, so it is about one hour after midnight, and I have finished listening to the new album. Here it goes:

The album started very promising with a good intro, but then it went downhill. After a couple of songs, I already knew I'd be left disappointed. Twice, actually. Cause for the past few months, I've been listening less and less Death Metal. My interests now go out to depressive Black and Doom, and other weird genres. I hoped the band I loved for so long, and that introduced me to Death Metal, could bring back my interest again. For this album at least.

But it didn't. And that disappoints me. It disappoints me as an album, and I realize this is the first album of the band I don't like. (Well, forget about Grom).

There is hope, however. My ears are still good enough to hear that this is an excellent slab of Death Metal. It is just my fault that I don't care about DM anymore. So there is a bit of hope, that as soon as I start liking DM again, I will love this album and give it the respect it deserves. Cause it is one hell of an album. (Though the drums are a bit loud in the mix).

Does it surprise you? Maybe it does, as I've been raving on about Behemoth for so long. But don't worry, I won't stop the fanatics. They are still the creators of Sventevith & Thelema.6.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.07.2007 - 02:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
thanks for your two cents. i might pick it up this week and chime in later.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.07.2007 - 02:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Well, musically I don't have anything to complain. So i'd definitely recommend it to a Death Metal/Behemoth lover.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.07.2007 - 13:36
Judas
The Amputator
Well, I've now heard it for the first time, and even though I'm not in so much of a Death Metal phase right now, this album still kindled my interest and held my attention for its duration. I really liked it, though I agree with Nervel in that it's a lot harder to digest for non-DM fans to digest than previous works. I'll probably write something a little lengthier after a couple more listens.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
17.07.2007 - 16:18
Stigmatized
I figured that's how you would feel Nervel, for the same reason you mentioned. I had noticed your tastes had changed quite a bit. Even though this was Behemoth, I didn't think the album was good enough to really have an effect on you. I liked it at first but was also let down in the long run, as I never had a desire to go back and hear the album again.
19.07.2007 - 14:10
Infurnace

"The Apostasy" turned out to be a really good album. I really enjoy it. The hyperspeed drums, the great vocals, the solo's and the guest vocals from Warrel Dane on "Inner Sanctrum".
22.07.2007 - 03:28
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 17.07.2007 at 16:18

I figured that's how you would feel Nervel, for the same reason you mentioned. I had noticed your tastes had changed quite a bit. Even though this was Behemoth, I didn't think the album was good enough to really have an effect on you. I liked it at first but was also let down in the long run, as I never had a desire to go back and hear the album again.

Same here dude....I was very excited about the album and followed like every studio diary update and i was like "wow this is going to be so great!"....but it wasnt. It was firstly too short and secondly nothing stuck with me. In "Demigod" i can go on and on about certain moments in most songs that just blow me away....From the obvious stuff like the entire "Conquer All" to the amazing start of "Towards Babylon" when the vocals kick in....to the awesome riff around the latter part of "Nephilim Rising" and the melodic guitars in the background of the chorus in "Xul" - i dont have anything like that in "The Apostasy". Theres no songs that i listen to and im like "oh shit, i love this part that comes now". Everything is just kinda....heavy and thats it.
22.07.2007 - 04:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
All other opinions aside, I'll give mine. Just like everyone else I was so very excited about the album and just like everyone else after I finished it I asked myself "That's it?" However, I realize that it's only been out for a few days now and I've been listening to it a few times each day since then and it's really starting to grow on me. I am actually a lot happier with it now than I was after my first listen. I will have more to post in a few days, definitely.
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.07.2007 - 15:55
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
nah ive had it for like 2 months and i still dont like it
22.07.2007 - 16:10
Sunioj

Written by Clintagräm on 22.07.2007 at 04:20

All other opinions aside, I'll give mine. Just like everyone else I was so very excited about the album and just like everyone else after I finished it I asked myself "That's it?" However, I realize that it's only been out for a few days now and I've been listening to it a few times each day since then and it's really starting to grow on me. I am actually a lot happier with it now than I was after my first listen. I will have more to post in a few days, definitely.

I love the intro to Pazuzu, and inferno is pretty fast on this album, I think moreso than on their pervious albums. And I might even say I think its better than Demigod...Im going to listen to the album a bit more, before I make my mind up.
23.07.2007 - 01:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I just bought the album today and I'm really liking it. To be honest, I was talking to someone the whole time that I listened to it, but it still sounded great to me. Nergal's vocals sound a bit more natural this time, but I prefer the layered style he did on Demigod. At one point I forgot that I was listening to it, due to the conversation, and I was so confused when I heard Warrel Dane's voice lol. It actually brought back the nostalgia I get about Nevermore, and now all I think about is how much I want to hear the new album. Anyways, the guitar solos sounded impressive to me and Inferno yet again did an amazing job behind thet kit. It's not as good as Demigod of course, but I already knew that it wouldn't be possible to top an album that perfect.

Oh, and the booklet is pretty savage too.
23.07.2007 - 11:04
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Video footage of Behemoth performing their new song "Prometherion" live at the Croatian Cultural Center in Vancouver has been posted at Abort TV here.
24.07.2007 - 21:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Dangerboner on 23.07.2007 at 01:29

I just bought the album today and I'm really liking it. To be honest, I was talking to someone the whole time that I listened to it, but it still sounded great to me. Nergal's vocals sound a bit more natural this time, but I prefer the layered style he did on Demigod...

Oh, and the booklet is pretty savage too.

I actually prefer the vocals in the new release to "Demigod" - I got to listen to it in my wife's truck while running errands Saturday. In a truck with limited space (the smaller the car, the better the stronger the sound) and a decent stereo, it sounded pretty impressive. The drumming, in particular, was awesome.

I'd probably give it a little notch over "Demigod" for the vocals and the slightly shorter length.

This is my 2c after only four or five listens, but I liked it.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.07.2007 - 22:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Personally, I'm starting to like it more. Hell yeah!

Though Nergal's voice is indeed a bit more natural, I don't prefer it. And I've come to the conclusion, that the artwork is incredibly ugly and a big fucking rip-off from Demigod.
----

31.07.2007 - 08:23
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I have come to really enjoy the album, now all I need to do is familiarize myself with it.

Some comments on seeing them live back to back days. The first night on the 29th they played right after 3 Inches of Blood and I squeezed myself in between a few guys in front for them, on the left a bit, between Nergal and Seth. Anyway, the set started off with the lights out and then their "Rome 64 C.E." intro began playing. As can be expected they mainly played their most well known songs and a couple from their new album. I think it went, the intro then, in no order, "Antichristian Phenomenon"; "Demigod"; "Prometherion"; "Conquer All"; "Christians to the Lions"; "Decade of Therion"; "As Above, So Below"; "Christgrinding Avenue"; and "Chant for Eschaton 2000." Somewhere in between the songs Inferno played a short little drum solo.

It was a really exciting set except most of the crowd was dead. I noticed this when they had their trademark break in "Christians to the Lions" after Nergal says "Behold bastard son..." I was the only one I could tell who screamed "I AM THE EVIL ONE!" Yeah, I'm pretty elite. But that didn't hinder my enjoyment at all. I got to make some good eye contact with both Nergal and Seth, which I always love doing with bands. Sporting my trademark ZKC shirt and all the lyrics that I knew I'd say I impressed them. Right...

Anyway, the next day my friend and I decided to stop off at Ozzfest. Well, aside from a few bands I didn't want to see, the heavy rain, the many lame people, and standing so far in the back, I can say that I enjoyed Nile and Behemoth. The only thing I noticed about Behemoth is they happen to play the same songs every set. I'd love to see something like "Pan Satyros"; "Modern Iconoclasts"; "Before The Aeons Came"; or anything from 'Pandemonic Incantations' played more, but I still loved it and look forward to the day when I can see Behemoth at a headlining show.
----
02.08.2007 - 19:40
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Metal Injection has posted an exclusive interview with Nergal as part of its coverage of the New England Hardcore and Metal Festival. In the interview Nergal discusses many topics, including his feelings on playing Ozzfest for free, being one of the most extreme bands ever on Ozzfest, and his humbled feelings on Ozzy himself. You can watch it at this location.
02.08.2007 - 20:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Nergal is sporting a Johnny Cash shirt. That rules! \m/
----

03.08.2007 - 00:00
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by White Winter Sun on 02.08.2007 at 19:40

Metal Injection has posted an exclusive interview with Nergal as part of its coverage of the New England Hardcore and Metal Festival. In the interview Nergal discusses many topics, including his feelings on playing Ozzfest for free, being one of the most extreme bands ever on Ozzfest, and his humbled feelings on Ozzy himself. You can watch it at this location.

I really liked that interview. Not too in depth or anything but I think it's always fun to watch and listen to Nergal and Behemoth.
----
03.08.2007 - 01:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
'How are you fuckers? hehehehehehe'

By the way, as anyone seen the DVD Crush.Fukk.Create? There are some pretty long interviews on there.
----

03.08.2007 - 03:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, I borrowed the DVD from a friend. I wasn't even able to finish it because there's just so much behind the scenes stuff.
03.08.2007 - 04:27
Stigmatized
I rented it from Netflix one time, and saw like 4 songs and then had to leave. Never saw anything else on it.
05.08.2007 - 08:13
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
The Apostasy kicks ass. I think I like it more then Demigod, because the vocals sound more natural and flow with the music more nicely.
06.08.2007 - 00:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I listened to The Apostasy for the second time and it has grown on me enough for it to be my second favorite Behemoth album, behind Demigod of course. I did notice, however, that they copied At the Gates with the intro of Libertheme, but that's okay because everyone copies that band. My favorite songs would have to be Prometherion, Kriegsphilosophie, Inner Sanctum, Pazuzu, and Christgrinding Avenue.
06.08.2007 - 10:36
Hyvaarin

Just bought the new one this afternoon. Fucking love it, nice and epic and brutal and all that. Really impressed by the booklet, too .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
06.08.2007 - 14:39
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I wasn't dissappointed in this album, but I still think it is one of their weakest. The vocals are significantly weaker compared to those of every album since Thelema.6. They seemed to have lost all but a speck of the 'Blackness' that once so greatly influenced their music. The Drumming is also not as impressive as Demigod. For some reason, I kind of just assumed that the album would be weaker, and hence the lack of let-down. For Death Metal, it is still a remarkable piece of work...but with all of the Ozzfest nonsense, I kind of expected the music to become more and more 'Standardized'. It's definitely worth buying and listening to...It still kicks ass...but It's not the Behemoth I once knew.
----
Brujerizmo!
17.08.2007 - 14:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Just received the demo: ...From The Pagan Vastlands (Nazgul Eyrie CD version).

Great to see and hear what they were in the old days. Some cool quotes from the booklet:

-Suffer! All white metal bands and trendy Death Metal shitheads!!! (Uhh.. What do you think you play today?)
-For sure reply enclose one US dollar (lol)

The music sounds like a second-rate Sventevith, which is still my fav. album from them, so I like it.
----

18.08.2007 - 03:16
mankvill

Woot! I saw them at Ozzfest, and I'mpsyched for their upcoming tour.
04.09.2007 - 13:07
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Upstate New York's Musician Photo Journal caught up with Nergal on an "off" day during this year's Ozzfest. You can watch the interview in three parts on the following links:

Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.
05.09.2007 - 00:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by White Winter Sun on 04.09.2007 at 13:07

Upstate New York's Musician Photo Journal caught up with Nergal on an "off" day during this year's Ozzfest. You can watch the interview in three parts on the following links:

Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.

Good interview. Hearing of a new DVD gets me excited. I love watching them play. One thing I would really like the most, and which Nergal mentioned, was a live CD and DVD package. That's one thing I'd really love is a live CD. I really loved their 'Live In Toulouse' EP some ten years ago, and they've matured so much. A new live CD would be grand. Thanks for the links.

I'm really excited for the Radio Rebellion Tour. They come here November 3rd. Should be awesome.
----