Metal Storm logo
Opeth - New Song Online

Another lyric video off Opeth's upcoming twelfth studio album, Sorceress, is now online. After "Sorceress", the track chosen this time is "Will O The Wisp". Check it out here and tell us if you like it. The album will be available worldwide on the 30th of September under Nuclear Blast Records / Moderbolaget Records.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 04.09.2016 by Bad English

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 40   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 433 users
05.09.2016 - 17:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by musclassia on 05.09.2016 at 09:50

It's pleasant, got a big Jethro Tull vibe. I guess one of the main problems with new Opeth is that after being genre leaders and innovators for a lot of their career, they've suddenly turned into followers.

Someone before have agreed on this statement and I agree with you too.

Opeth knows about this very well that some of "their" followers doing absolutely good and keep pushing the bar high for competitors. It wouldn't be shabby if I say Mikael got influenced from young proggers and have taken material to fill the blocks of Opeth's new record.

So far, nothing remarkably impressed me with leaked tracks. It's just all swinging in between "Pale Communion" and "Heritage".
05.09.2016 - 18:04
paragraph7
Written by LeKiwi on 05.09.2016 at 08:56

Vocals were sweet, but I'll be damned if they didn't write this for the lols. There's almost no creativity.

Just what I was thinking. Although the vocals are fine, the songwriting on this is so unimaginative. If they were going for the Jethro Tull vibe, they probably should have gone all in - now it just resembles some bland thing with a hint of Jethro Tull... Not nearly enough to make it interesting in a Jethro Tull kind of way.
05.09.2016 - 18:11
Zap
I don't feel strongly about it in any way. It's ok, the previous song they released was way worse and probably the worst thing I've heard from them.
05.09.2016 - 18:51
Ikuinen
I really liked this song.. Wasn't a huge fan of the other one
06.09.2016 - 03:55
Tenski
Opeth is a great live band
Opeth is the Jethro Tull of the metal world now I guess
And if you listen to Jethro Tull his singing and the folk elements really sound similar to each other
Akerfeldt and Opeth still are a legendary band, you don't need any substances to relate to it,
as Mikael has stated that he has never used drugs at least as far as I/we know.
Alcohol... that's his choice and its hard to believe older albums from their past catalog aren't them
being stoned and high on something, just pure talent and finesse.
Overall this song isn't too bad at all, I even enjoyed their single sorceress and I will listen and
support Opeth no matter what.
07.09.2016 - 00:01
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2016 at 12:19

It's a nice track. I guess I feel about this like I did with many songs on Heritage and Pale Communion. It has good songs and all but I'll listen to it and forget about it quickly. And just go on and listen to better things.

As a big fan of Opeth, this is what they have to offer right now and it's not very exciting.

I feel precisely the same way. New Opeth isn't bad, and I'll definitely listen to and enjoy the newer albums, at least a little bit. However, old Opeth is what I enjoy most about them, as well as the reason I am a fan in the first place, and that Opeth is dead and gone. I would be fine with them changing their sound up (I prefer that with bands, actually), but only if they change it to something that stays unique and original; this newer stuff sounds like an updated version of everything that was already explored in the 70's. There's really no reason to be excited about new Opeth releases anymore... so I guess it's time to move on.
----
09.09.2016 - 11:19
Stunning Cactus
Written by Guest on 04.09.2016 at 21:50

You have to play the song in reverse to get the growls. Very cleverly written track.

Actually laughed.
09.09.2016 - 11:56
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Jaeryd on 07.09.2016 at 00:01

Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2016 at 12:19

It's a nice track. I guess I feel about this like I did with many songs on Heritage and Pale Communion. It has good songs and all but I'll listen to it and forget about it quickly. And just go on and listen to better things.

As a big fan of Opeth, this is what they have to offer right now and it's not very exciting.

I feel precisely the same way. New Opeth isn't bad, and I'll definitely listen to and enjoy the newer albums, at least a little bit. However, old Opeth is what I enjoy most about them, as well as the reason I am a fan in the first place, and that Opeth is dead and gone. I would be fine with them changing their sound up (I prefer that with bands, actually), but only if they change it to something that stays unique and original; this newer stuff sounds like an updated version of everything that was already explored in the 70's. There's really no reason to be excited about new Opeth releases anymore... so I guess it's time to move on.

I very much agree with you I gladly accept change in my favourite bands (or otherwise) as long as it's good, I'll listen to anything. But who knows? Maybe the album in full will be different and more striking. If not, it's not the end of the world either. And there's always plenty of good music out there and I can spin my old Opeth albums any time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.09.2016 - 13:03
The Hammer33
I also agree with you guys. Really kinda sad when I think about how much I love their older music and the fact that it will likely never be matched. Their new music is very forgettable. I would take a Damnation II over anything since Heritage. Still no growling is fine, as long as the music itself is good. I find myself listening to Katatonia a lot right now - wondering if Mikael would have rather gone that path and never even made his name doing the harsher death metal vocals... (scratch that: he must have really loved it at the time - how else could he be so damn good at it)
13.09.2016 - 22:19
Enteroctopus
Nothing new in my post, just better options as far as this style goes: Jethro Tull, heck Joni Mitchell is better!! Anyway, have both of those artists on vinyl so I guess it will be a Tull/Mitchell evening instead of wasting my money on this inferior new effort from a once great metal band.

Oh well, plenty of other metal bands that I can still enjoy. No use mourning the dead ones.

Hits total: 5011 | This month: 6