Metal Storm logo
Bolt Thrower - Announce Breakup

It's been a year since the death of Bolt Thrower's drummer Martin "Kiddie" Kearns. Now, instead of hiring a replacement for Kearns, the band just announced on their official website that they have broken up. So, we lose one of death metal's most legendary acts but fans will remain loyal.

The band explains: "On behalf of ourselves and Kiddie's family, we would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and support over the last 12' months. Together with Kiddie's family we made the conscious decision to keep his unexpected death a private matter, and to take time out to deal with it all.

"When Kiddie joined us back in 1994, although he was only 17, he instantly improved Bolt Thrower as a live band, and no one was more loyal to, and prouder to be in Bolt Thrower than him.

"We spent over 20 years together, touring the world, with 3 different vocalists, but he was so much more than just a drummer to us. So when we carried his coffin to his final resting place, the Bolt Thrower drummer position was buried with him. He was, and will now forever remain THE Bolt Thrower drummer, our Powerhouse and friend Martin 'Kiddie' Kearns.

"As for the rest of us, Bolt Thrower has been our way of life for 30 years, never driven by money, fame or ego, but by our own personal principles and values that have guided us through life, and which bonded us as friends long before Bolt Thrower was even formed...
"

Kearns was the drummer for Bolt Thrower from 1994 to 1997, and again from 1999 up until his death, and played on their last two albums - 2001's Honour - Valour - Pride and 2005's Those Once Loyal.

[Also thanks to StillReignJH6413 for sending in this news!]

Source: boltthrower.com
Band profile: Bolt Thrower
Posted: 15.09.2016 by Metal God

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   Visited by: 220 users
15.09.2016 - 14:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
This is incredibly sad.

What a nice way to give a final touch to Martin. It will be tough to carry without him. So, i'm really in one of those who will be in favor discontinuing making music from Bolt Thrower camp.

I hope they will figure it out best for the band soon.
15.09.2016 - 14:09
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Was to be expected, but sad news nonetheless.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
15.09.2016 - 16:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Not at all upset. so many people give bands grief for going on long after the "should have packed it in." to do so after one of their best, and a decade later turn their back on a potential cashgrab to honor their fallen drummer is laudable.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.09.2016 - 17:08
garmling
Account deleted
Awful news indeed, but it was kind of expected Luckily, I saw them two years ago in Vienna and it was a night to remember... Wonderful concert!
15.09.2016 - 18:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
On a potential cashgrab?! I don't know what BitterCo meant there.
15.09.2016 - 20:21
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 15.09.2016 at 18:34

On a potential cashgrab?! I don't know what BitterCo meant there.

Maybe they refused a big deal or contract just because they had a find a new drummer. But yeah, not sure what is Craig's source.
15.09.2016 - 21:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
A band that can actually respect the death of a member who crafted their sound enough to simply call it quits and let their legacy speak for itself afterwards. Admirable
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.09.2016 - 02:14
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 15.09.2016 at 16:03

Not at all upset. so many people give bands grief for going on long after the "should have packed it in." to do so after one of their best, and a decade later turn their back on a potential cashgrab to honor their fallen drummer is laudable.

I'm not too sad either. The band hasn't really done anything in 10 years
16.09.2016 - 02:38
Vombatus
Potorro
Was to be expected, just a matter of time.

I was fine with them just touring occasionally, didn't want a new album or anything. Respecting a legacy, first music wise and then band wise is a rare thing these days. More bands could learn a thing or two from these guys.
16.09.2016 - 05:29
Neoxx07

No album in 11 years? that isn't a good farewell for a band like bolt thrower. i think they put everything they got in Those Once Loyal and they had nothing more to offer.
16.09.2016 - 09:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Neoxx07 on 16.09.2016 at 05:29

No album in 11 years? that isn't a good farewell for a band like bolt thrower. i think they put everything they got in Those Once Loyal and they had nothing more to offer.

Maybe they gave importance to other plans than releasing a new album over 11 years. I read it somewhere BT were concentrating on touring and then during that process, they planned to write new songs for record to drop somewhere between 2012 to 2014. I can't quite actually put a stamp on that fact.

But, everything altered from last year and now put to rest.
16.09.2016 - 22:06
ylside

They finished on a high note, which is more than a shitload of bands can ever say - big or small, so far I have never seen a band whose LATEST album is their best, except Bolt Thrower with Those Once Loyal.
16.09.2016 - 22:23
Mikolaj
Account deleted
A bit sad but not really surprising after such a long career. And they finished on a high note (wouldnt say its their best album as that title goes to Realm of chaos)
19.09.2016 - 18:56
Butters49

Noooo I havent even seen them live
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond

Hits total: 3564 | This month: 11