Metal Storm logo
Books - Something great to read (Please follow the guideline)

Original post

Posted by , 23.05.2006 - 14:39
Here you can post great books that you have read and want to recommend to other members on metalstorm.

Please Dont just post the name of book, by add who wrote the book and a genre of the book as well as a short description on it and your opinion.
A picture would be nice too.
Thx.

Il start with a book im reading now
"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.

[img=http://img1.imageshack.us/img1/4913/lifeofpiex1kl.th.jpg]

A preposterous but utterly enchanting story about a young Indian boy adrift in a lifeboat with his good friend, a Bengal tiger, and some other zoo animals.
A story about survival, and as one charecter claims, it can make you belive in god.
Thewirting is this fisction book simple and excellent.
The book is funny and smart (and youl also find a few metal band names there )

Enjoy.
30.04.2011 - 10:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.04.2011 at 02:05

Written by BloodTears on 29.04.2011 at 12:12

I'm so glad you read 1984. I had a seminar in university where all we read the whole semester were utopias and dystopias. So, I had my share of all of those, from different authors. It was a very interesting time for me, in terms of books.

You got my confused there... So you read 1984, right?

--- Thanks for the recommendation btw, gonna check it out

lol Sorry about that. I did read 1984, pretty disturbing book.

Let me know if you actually read "Severance".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.04.2011 - 11:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 30.04.2011 at 10:49

Let me know if you actually read "Severance".

Don't hold your breath though... Last 6 weeks of highschool, exams and all that stuff
The only thing I can read now is the short stories by my man Bukowski... Because they are, well... Short.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.05.2011 - 08:22
BreadGod
Account deleted
I'm currently reading "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau, and I must say it's a pretty hard read. The first chapter, Economy, is 90 pages long, and it's written in such a strange way. For example, he spends one pages explaining how he built one part of his house, then he spends the next several waxing eloquent on the nature of housing and how a Native American in a wigwam is more wealthy than a white man in a mansion and many other such topics. However, during this exposition, one passage really resonated with me:

Quote:
If I wished a boy to know something about the arts and sciences, for instance, I would not pursue the common course, which is merely to send him into the neighborhood of some professor, where anything is professed and practiced but the art of life; - to survey the world through a telescope or a microscope, and never with his natural eye; or mechanics, and not learn how it is earned; to discover new satellites to Neptune, and not detect the motes in his eyes, or to what vagabond he is a satellite himself; or to be devoured by the monsters that swarm all around him, while contemplating the monsters in a drop of vinegar. Which would have advanced the most at the end of a month, - the boy who had made his own jackknife from the ore which he had dug and smelted, reading as much as would be necessary for this - or the boy who had attended the lectures on metallurgy at the Institute in the meanwhile, and had received a Rogers penknife from his father? Which would be most likely to cut his fingers? . . . To my astonishment I was informed on leaving college that I had studied navigation! - why, if I had taken one turn down the harbor I should have known more about it. Even the poor student studies and is taught only political economy, while that economy of living which is synonymous with philosophy is not even sincerely professed in our colleges. The consequence is, that while he is reading Adam Smith, Ricardo, and Say, he runs his father in debt irretrievably.

What Thoreau said here still rings true to this day. Unless you're planning to get a career in science, engineering, or law, college is a waste of time and money. Not only that, but we now live in the age of the internet, which means that just by searching around in the right places, you can get yourself an Ivy League education for practically nothing.

Anyway, I'm going to keep reading and I'll update you as to when I find any other fascinating passages.
13.10.2011 - 18:07
BlckMtlMelodies

Black Metal Melody by David Brock
Released October 6, 2011 (Ferno House Publishing)

This chapbook combines poetry and fiction to tell the story of a teenager who discovers black metal music, black metal culture and a black metal girlfriend. The stories take him from Enslaved concerts to poetry readings, from sexual encounters soundtracked by Opeth's Orchid album to a meeting with the demon on the cover of Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath.

Interview about the book: http://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2011/09/29/interview-david-brock-death-metal-poet/

Order here:
http://www.fernohouse.com/pubs/black-metal-melody/

or contact the author directly
twitter @davidjamesbrock

(Shameless Full Disclosure, I wrote this book and am trying to get it into the hands of my fellow metal fans' hands. Thanks! \m/)
13.10.2011 - 22:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BlckMtlMelodies on 13.10.2011 at 18:07
(Shameless Full Disclosure, I wrote this book and am trying to get it into the hands of my fellow metal fans' hands. Thanks! \m/)

Man that sounds awesome! Keep spreading the word and getting this thing out there. I bet a lot of us metalheads would really enjoy reading something like that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.11.2011 - 23:30
Mikyz

If you want to read fantasy something like Harry Potter but much better and for adults read the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, I was fucking surprised by how good it turned out to be. Since I'm talking about fantasy definitely read "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle, a masterpiece it's really weird how he was able to weave such a simple premise of a unicorn searching for other unicorns into such a beautiful and accomplished tale, it's very short only around 200 pages so it's a pretty fast read. Cheers.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
19.11.2011 - 18:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I recommend "The Killer Inside Me" by Jim Thompson. It was the last book I read. I think there is a movie somewhere based on the book but I don't know anything about it. The book, however, is very enjoyable. I don't read many books in this kind of register, especially not many about first-person killers. Well-written and the plot is good.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.11.2011 - 05:35
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted

This chapbook combines poetry and fiction to tell the story of a teenager who discovers black metal music, black metal culture and a black metal girlfriend. The stories take him from Enslaved concerts to poetry readings, from sexual encounters soundtracked by Opeth's Orchid album to a meeting with the demon on the cover of Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath.

Interview about the book: http://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2011/09/29/interview-david-brock-death-metal-poet/

Order here:

twitter @davidjamesbrock

Sounds fairly interesting. How long is the book?
25.11.2011 - 16:08
BlckMtlMelodies

Written by Guest on 25.11.2011 at 05:35

Order here:

twitter @davidjamesbrock

Sounds fairly interesting. How long is the book?

It's around 30 pages. Poems and art. Sort of like an EP to a planned LP.

db
28.12.2011 - 21:05
Baroness Samedi
Account deleted
My favourite book is Wasp factory by Iain Banks ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wasp_Factory ), its one of those books u never want to end, it kinda takes u over so in the end u wanna be Frank, no matter how f***ed up he and his world are ... but you might not like it becouse it has a lot of animal cruelty in it, so instead u can check out a book called Hunger by an amazing Nobel prize wining writer Knut Hamsun ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_%28novel%29 ), he is a great man who made a mistake by going all nazy and ended up in a madhouse where he died ... but he is still one of the greatest writers of all time.
31.12.2011 - 05:14
Mattybu

Someone has probably posted it by now but I finished reading Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir today (only got it two days ago, burned right through it!). Basically an autobiography of Dave Mustaine. From page 1 I was hooked on it. Very interesting hearing about the early days of Megadeth, especially. Also, solidified the fact that Dave Mustaine is a general badass, which I had already been aware of, but upon reading this book, it was multiplied.
04.01.2012 - 20:00
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Just finished "Tokio Blues Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami. It's a great book, the writer has this particular way of describing things that makes you get into it quicky, I finished in two days because I wanted to know what happened with the characters. Not only the main ones are interesting, some side characters have their own charm. It tells the story of a boy in Japan and how his life changed after his best friend killed himself...he gets unexpectedly involved with his friend's ex girlfriend and then the story takes a bitter twist again.
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
08.01.2012 - 11:29
VloRD

If you guys love Tolkien's work( who doesn't) then check out Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (you may have heard of it). I am reading the third book and there are 14 released so far. There are obvious similarities to the Lord of the Rings, but the series offers much more.
----
09.01.2012 - 16:01
Vikingr

Written by VloRD on 08.01.2012 at 11:29

If you guys love Tolkien's work( who doesn't) then check out Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (you may have heard of it). I am reading the third book and there are 14 released so far. There are obvious similarities to the Lord of the Rings, but the series offers much more.

I have indeed heard of it and I personally really liked the series Lately I've read Swedish Death Metal and at the moment I'm reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, it's heavy stuff but very cool
09.01.2012 - 17:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vikingr on 09.01.2012 at 16:01
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Probably in my top five favorite books of all time.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.01.2012 - 18:05
@gent_-_orange

Anyone here into H.P Lovecraft? I have just purchased Necronomicon and its companion book Eldritch Tales which are both large compilations of his works (I think together it may include all of them but im not sure). Really good stuff, im not much of a book reader but im hooked on those at the moment.
09.01.2012 - 18:10
Vikingr

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.01.2012 at 17:26

Written by Vikingr on 09.01.2012 at 16:01
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Probably in my top five favorite books of all time.

It is most definately the shit
15.01.2012 - 12:29
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm reading 1984 now. When I'm done with that, I plan on continuing the Millenium series with The Girl Who Played With Fire.
19.01.2012 - 02:58
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Just finished "A Farewall to Arms" by Hemingway. picked up "Sun Also Rises" and "A Moveable Feast"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2012 - 04:58
WalmartJesus

Currently re-reading Alan Moore's Watchmen.

I'm sure most people on here already read Watchmen or watched the movie adaptation....so there's really no need for a summary.
25.02.2012 - 02:15
Gathering Storm
Account deleted
I have never been able to say I have a favorite book, that is untill I read The name of the wind, and A wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. These are two books about the same story, which is basically a man telling his life in 3 days, each book is each day. Once I picked them up I couldn't put them down.
07.04.2012 - 04:13
Vikingr

Written by Guest on 25.02.2012 at 02:15

I have never been able to say I have a favorite book, that is untill I read The name of the wind, and A wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. These are two books about the same story, which is basically a man telling his life in 3 days, each book is each day. Once I picked them up I couldn't put them down.

Agreed, those books were absolutely incredible and I read them both over 4 days with very few washroom or food breaks in between xD The main character of Kvothe is fascinating and I think he's a very strong leading role, very enjoyable series and highly recommend it. Also, I'm currently reading "Lords of the Bow" by Conn Iggulden which is the second in a series of books about the various conquests of Genghis Khan, the man who would go on to unite the formally nomadic Mongol tribes and create one of the largest empires the world has ever known. Excellent battle sequences and a very interesting look at the religious, warrior, and cultural aspects of the Mongol peoples as well as those peoples that they conquered .... plus Genghis is a badass xD
13.04.2012 - 12:05
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I'm reading Alchemist by paulo coelho, and some years ago I have read Veronika decided to Die by him again before listening to The album by the same title from Saturnus and still never found out why they have chosen the same title of that book for that album.
I can't highly recommend these two one,Veronika Decided to Die was hmm a meh ! I can't say I liked it so much or whatever, a story about a girl who commit suicide and during the time she was in hospital some incidents happen to her.... you'd better read the rest yourself.

this one the Alchemist : is about a young shepherd that come to know an old wise man who told him that he should go for his dreams and follow his common sense up to the third part well
I can't give a clear comment, somehow it seems a bit strange, but if you like books full of symbols you can go for this one.
13.04.2012 - 20:01
Edmund Fogg

Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 12:05

this one the Alchemist : is about a young shepherd that come to know an old wise man who told him that he should go for his dreams and follow his common sense up to the third part well
I can't give a clear comment, somehow it seems a bit strange, but if you like books full of symbols you can go for this one.

I remember reading this book back in highschool as a mandatory book. I thought it was too heavy at the time and didn't really like it. Maybe if I read it again it will grow on me, but I doubt it. I hate authors that pretty much forces you to analyse their work.

Currently reading Charles le téméraire (translates to Reckless Charles) A book that tells the story of a boy growing up in a rough neighberhood of my hometown during the 70-80s. No matter what happens to him, he always find a way to smile at life and get his revenge on his own. A really good read that I didn't want to let go.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
13.04.2012 - 23:02
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe if I read it again it will grow on me, but I doubt it. I hate authors that pretty much forces you to analyse their work.
Currently reading Charles le téméraire (translates to Reckless Charles) A book that tells the story of a boy growing up in a rough neighberhood of my hometown during the 70-80s. No matter what happens to him, he always find a way to smile at life and get his revenge on his own. A really good read that I didn't want to let go.

wow in your highschool that's a bit heavy for that age but I think you should be proud of your highschool to recommend you such books for readings.

BUT I think it's the enjoyment of books to analyze it yourself

well if the book has been only published in French I can't read I need the translation
14.04.2012 - 03:00
Thrashette

The last book I read was "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb. It's about twin brothers, one who's schizophrenic and one who has anger management issues. It's definitely a great read, especially for anyone interested in psychology. It's evident that the author did his research to make sure it was scientifically accurate. This book touches on lots of complex issues like suicide, mental illness, and domestic violence, and it really reminds us that no one's perfect and no one's life is perfect.
15.04.2012 - 15:58
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Vikingr on 07.04.2012 at 04:13

Also, I'm currently reading "Lords of the Bow" by Conn Iggulden

I've read a few of his books, pretty good historical fiction. You might like Bernard Cornwell, he does a great series set in Anglo-Saxon England based on King Alfred and his conflicts with the vikings.
15.04.2012 - 20:08
Vikingr

Written by R'Vannith on 15.04.2012 at 15:58

Written by Vikingr on 07.04.2012 at 04:13

Also, I'm currently reading "Lords of the Bow" by Conn Iggulden

I've read a few of his books, pretty good historical fiction. You might like Bernard Cornwell, he does a great series set in Anglo-Saxon England based on King Alfred and his conflicts with the vikings.

Hehe, I've read most of his stuff too actually The Sharpe series, the Starbuck series, The Warlord Chronicles, Stonehenge, The Alfred the Great series, I've read them all. He's my favorite author in fact
16.04.2012 - 05:21
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Vikingr on 15.04.2012 at 20:08

Hehe, I've read most of his stuff too actually The Sharpe series, the Starbuck series, The Warlord Chronicles, Stonehenge, The Alfred the Great series, I've read them all. He's my favorite author in fact

Blimey you've read the lot haha Sharpe is what he's mostly known for but I've yet to read that series, I just went straight for his medieval themed stuff. Cornwell is pretty much the go to guy for historical fiction, he does it so well.
Hmm, how about Ken Follett's 'Pillars of the Earth'? Quite a lengthy one but well worth a read, same with the follow up 'World Without End'.
16.04.2012 - 06:24
Vikingr

Damn, I haven't checked out those yet but I've heard good things:) Length doesn't bother me since I apparently have a talent for reading very quickly (when my professor told my class this year we'd be introduced into adult literature I started giggling xD) so I'd be happy to check those out. And if you liked the warlord chronicles you'll certainly like the Sharpe series, it's incredible and there's quite a bit more material, something like 24 books if I remember Also, the Starbuck series is nearly as good though it's focused on the American Civil War and I was always a European history guy myself:)