Style: Avantgarde metal, Black metal

Owners:

105 have it
11 want it

01. The Synarchy Of Molten Bones
02. Famished For Breath
03. Onward Where Most With Ravin I May Meet
04. Internecine Iatrogenesis

So here we are. Six years and two EPs later, the mighty Deathspell Omega have returned with new material. It's not "Doomspell Omega" or a reggae black metal album, and sure, one could complain about a rehash of old ideas here. But I'll be damned if it isn't nice to have these titans of French black metal back on the throne showing all their emulators how the game is really played.

Go and get it.

Apothecary's picks | More picks ››

Found in 13 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 91   Visited by: 538 users
02.11.2016 - 17:52
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I find it amusing how there is no middle ground to this. You either love it despite not being anything new (and they don't need to when they basically put every clone to shame as always) or you don't like it because it's not anything new.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.11.2016 - 18:27
Zap
Written by 3rdWorld on 02.11.2016 at 06:27

+1

Was quite bored by this, maybe my expectations were too high going in.

My expectations were actually quite low. It's not that this is bad though, not at all. It just doesn't excite me as much as what they might have been able to do if they tried something different. I've heard this before and I don't need any more of it, personally.
02.11.2016 - 18:40
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Zap on 02.11.2016 at 18:27

My expectations were actually quite low. It's not that this is bad though, not at all. It just doesn't excite me as much as what they might have been able to do if they tried something different. I've heard this before and I don't need any more of it, personally.

My thought as well. With so much DeathSpellClones these days, the very day actual DsO decide to release something I knew t'was gonna feel like just one more of them, even though it is the original.
This kind of sound was fresh back then in the 05's but nowadays it can hardly be considered "avantgarde" anymore, as there's a whole scene of it.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.11.2016 - 19:53
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.11.2016 at 17:52

I find it amusing how there is no middle ground to this. You either love it despite not being anything new, or you don't like it because it's not anything new.

I feel like I occupy a middle ground, here. I am pretty disappointed that they didn't throw a complete curveball and surprise us all with something totally new, given that it's been 6 years since their last full-length and they've been known for doing a different sound on each album--however, at the same time, I really enjoyed the sound they crafted with Paracletus and have no good reason not to enjoy this album.

To summarize: yeah I would've been happier if they had managed to surprise us with a new sound, but I do enjoy the album nonetheless.
----
02.11.2016 - 20:28
Vombatus
Potorro
^Same. Certainly not among the best DSO releases but I simply enjoy quality dissonant black metal. So this is good.

I sometimes have the impression an album/band is considered a letdown/boring based on it's originality. If it doesn't offer anything new or groundbreaking, not worth listening coz band W or X already did it or album Y and Z was already better before.
I'm oversimplifying things of course, and I'm sometimes guilty of this attitude (Outre comes to mind) but it's a weird feeling. Guess the massive abundance of music immediately available through a click doesn't help too much.
03.11.2016 - 03:14
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Got just what I expected from them, and I fucking love it. I don't need much innovation from them right now, maybe it's because I don't listen to DsO clones and that this is the first album they release after I got into them with the release of Drought.
This one kinda feels more melodic though, I need some more time to fully incorporate it as with all their releases.
03.11.2016 - 07:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I also think it's one of the more melodic works they have put out which is why I still can differ it from the last couple of works they have put out.
I recall talking with Joe just when the EP came out and I wrote (I'm copy pasting because I'm lazy):
There's this tiny little guitar melody they use a couple in the first track (starting at 2:05) which I really loved. It's not particularly dissonant at all... It sounds so... Sweet/pretty? Like almost out of character in contrast to everything else around it. I don't recall these guys doing a lot of that before.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2016 - 14:26
Rating: 7
Paz

Now available in HD:

03.11.2016 - 22:22
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
That's a cool sound they use near the beginning of the opening track. Wish they did more stuff like that. Imagine how much cooler this would've been if they sprinkled weird sounds and new textures all over the place in between their normal blackened-dissonant-technical-metal thing. Wouldn't be a huge change, but enough to make you say "huh, this is new".
----
03.11.2016 - 23:22
koob

Well, was disappointed at first but after a few more listens it's starting to grow on me... Having the lyrics add more depth to the music, too.
04.11.2016 - 05:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Oh, lyrics are already online? I'll give it listen while following them before going to bed. This is one of the few bands that make me actually care for the lyrics.
I'll take this chance to mention that when 3:45 of the third track kicks in, I really feel like dancing.
07.11.2016 - 03:03
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
This was worth the wait. Fucking excellent
07.11.2016 - 12:25
Desert Father

Awesome music, but why am I not surprised that the CD has a DR rating of 4?
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
07.11.2016 - 13:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.11.2016 at 13:47

What does this mean?

Dynamic Range rating: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=deathspell+omega&album=
07.11.2016 - 16:42
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Desert Father on 07.11.2016 at 12:25

Maybe I'm reading the site wrong, but isn't that the rating for a lossy rip from an unknown source? That might explain why the DR rating is so low (though I guess I'm not sure... I've never seen a DR database before so I'm not familiar with what the implications of having an unknown source might be).
----
08.11.2016 - 00:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Well, Karly boy already gave it a 6, so it must suck. Oh wait, he gave OM a 6 too. Nevermind
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.11.2016 - 01:04
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.11.2016 at 00:38

OM

You always bring that up, don't you? xD
----
- Reimu Hakurei
08.11.2016 - 04:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Karlabos on 08.11.2016 at 01:04

You always bring that up, don't you? xD

Of course, it's one of the most easily mockable examples of bad taste on here!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.11.2016 - 04:38
Desert Father

Written by Jaeryd on 07.11.2016 at 16:42

Written by Desert Father on 07.11.2016 at 12:25

Maybe I'm reading the site wrong, but isn't that the rating for a lossy rip from an unknown source? That might explain why the DR rating is so low (though I guess I'm not sure... I've never seen a DR database before so I'm not familiar with what the implications of having an unknown source might be).

I ran the DR plugin on foobar from the 24/44.1 FLAC download on the bandcamp which is identical to the CD master (the only difference being the greater bit depth). Unfortunately DsO has a nasty habit of brickwalling their albums.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
08.11.2016 - 12:52
Akatash

This certainly is a good DsO album, quite relentless and unforgiving. However, I think the album lacks more good ideas that carry the songs; they don't stand out on their own, and don't have the character I was hoping for.
18.11.2016 - 18:02
Paz

Just got it in the mail. Damn, even the layout is disappointing... There's no (epic) booklet this time
18.11.2016 - 20:08
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Paz on 18.11.2016 at 18:02

Just got it in the mail. Damn, even the layout is disappointing... There's no (epic) booklet this time

Meh, thats bad. I checked out the kenose booklet after seeing you raving about it in the album page and it was really rad. Good I stayed away from this from the very first moment I listened to it and felt boring, would've definitely bought it otherwise.
23.11.2016 - 14:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
The final ruling on this one seems to be "good, but not quite what could have been," which I'd probably agree with. I mean it's certainly nice to have these guys back around with new material, but I do suppose it would've been cooler if they had done something not so predictable. Almost as a way of telling all the bands that've been tapping heavy into their sound over the past 5 - 6 years "HAHA, while you were busy repping what we did in 04 and 07, we were busy developing the next step!" Oh well, definitely better than nothing at all.

I do kind of agree though with what someone suggested above that at this point the band shouldn't really be referred to as Avantgarde, considering the recent abundancy of this style of black metal, even if they were the ones who kind of pioneered it in the first place.
----

~ II. VII
23.11.2016 - 14:22
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah, I say we formally institutionalize the "dissonant black metal" subgenre
----
- Reimu Hakurei
23.11.2016 - 17:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Karlabos on 23.11.2016 at 14:22

Yeah, I say we formally institutionalize the "dissonant black metal" subgenre

Please don't. If we start making more subgenres based on the kinds of chords used in the songs, the situation soon will get out of our hands
06.01.2017 - 23:34
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Okay, I did upload the lyrics a while back for anyone interested in their literary premise since it seems to center fondling around Greek mythology and the rise of Apollo.
Throughout my resarch I did find for fanboy's and DsO'nies here some interesting links about their creative paths both from old exclusive interview's they did themselves and to more modern fan interpretations from this work stretching to Si.

https://massapreta.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/zine-northern-heritage-deathspell-omega/
Taken from around the late 90's Infernal/Inquisitors era. Its veryyyyyyyy 90's in its approach.

http://ezxhaton.kccricket.net/interview.html
Final interview taken from their reincarnation straight after the release of Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice. Admitting that their attempts shown in the interview prior were a creative parochial failure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackMetal/comments/5afdzz/new_dso_album_now_listenable/d9jk6sm/
This is a quality, indepth read interpreting The Synarchy Of Molten Bones' direction of inspiration. It's most likely wrote by the same OdiumNostrum that primarily posts normally the insomnia cures on Youtube these days without much surprise factor anymore.

http://smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=253348
Similar in fashion to above, more focused stretching matters including the art and themes from releases all the way back to Si Monumentum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathspellOmega/
For all the other stuff, both recent and archive.

So go get laid.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

24.02.2017 - 15:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Paz on 02.11.2016 at 08:42

This situation reminds me of Sunn O))) and Kannon.

Come on dude, it's not that bad, Kannon is pretty shit.
----

~ II. VII
28.02.2017 - 13:50
Paz

Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.02.2017 at 15:18

Come on dude, it's not that bad, Kannon is pretty shit.

Both of these albums are very predictable and therefore disappointing. Definitely not bad. I just prefer to listen to their earlier discography.

PS. Sorry for the late reply.
27.04.2017 - 00:30
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Okay so after listening to this and Drought a lot more recently, I've actually come to enjoy them much more than I initially did. The last track is especially good, in my opinion. I would have a problem with the fact that this album seems a lot more cold and inhuman sounding than the rest of their discography, with almost all trace of black metal rawness gone, but I think it actually works pretty well for this album, and even fits the album art quite nicely.
----
23.07.2017 - 15:46
koob

Yeah, after not being that impressed at first I now love this album.
The first and last tracks are especially good.

Hits total: 15492 | This month: 24