Metal Storm logo
Viking metal from non-Viking countries

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 06.04.2007 - 02:07
This morning while driving to work something suddenly popped into my head....since Viking metal is pretty geographically specific, should bands who play Viking metal necessarily be from Scandinavia to not be seen as trying to be something they're not? I mean I know there are a fair amount of Viking metal from Germany as well, but lets say a band from here where I live (South Africa) wanted to start up a Viking Metal band - wont that be sort of....stupid? Im a huge fan of Viking metal and wondered about this quite a lot....had I been in a band i would probably love to play Viking metal but I would probably put my war-paint on my face, look in the mirror and go "what the fuck dude...ur about as Viking as the zulu in the bush".

whats your thoughts on this?
10.04.2007 - 23:27
Ernis
狼獾
Well.....perhaps I'll use the word USSR instead of The Baltic States or even better....when speaking of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Russia, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia...etc...WHY should I care to write these names....I can simply say....USSR....I don't care that neither Hungary nor Poland nor Serbia nor Finland were in USSR....but I still say USSR....because that's SHORTER....

Helsinki....a nice capital in USSR....
10.04.2007 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 10.04.2007 at 23:27

Well.....perhaps I'll use the word USSR instead of The Baltic States or even better....when speaking of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Russia, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia...etc...WHY should I care to write these names....I can simply say....USSR....I don't care that neither Hungary nor Poland nor Serbia nor Finland were in USSR....but I still say USSR....because that's SHORTER....

Its diferent man and we are going out of topic
BTW Im wgit sinn Fein and ... you know what thay suport
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.04.2007 - 05:01
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Bad English on 10.04.2007 at 23:21

Written by Ernis on 10.04.2007 at 23:12

Written by Bad English on 10.04.2007 at 22:19

@Miotalhobad - I say UK about whole teritory also mea ing irland, because its easyer say UK how England, Irand, Walles

I talk about kilts and I KNOW who wear them but have you ewer thought why there are no VIKINGS in Scotland?

I KNOW that SAXONS are not CELTS!

Well....it is WRONG to say UK because UK is United Kingdom....Ireland doesn't belong there at all at all....if you really wish to use a common name then it exists....and it is...the British Isles....

Ireland NOT IRAND
Wales not WALLES

I'm glad you know that saxons aren't celts....

Well well I know but is sthorter man

And yes Celts was there before anglo-saxons then tahy come and then franks wanna more

Actually, the North-West of Scotland had a significant Viking influence, mostly because they controlled the Orkney and Shetland islands. The Celts didn't 'drive them away' or anything from the rest of the British Isles (there's a good way of including Ireland in the discussion!), since the Celts were already in Ireland at the time of the Viking landings there.

As for Viking Metal in languages other than the Nordics and English, well I agree that would be rather strange, just because we're so used to having bands sing in those languages only. Having said that, I'm willing to bet there are French Viking Metal bands that sing in French. Runic (Spanish Viking Metal band) sing in English, by the way.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
11.04.2007 - 06:04
Hyvaarin

Well.....perhaps I'll use the word USSR instead of The Baltic States or even better....when speaking of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Russia, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia...etc...WHY should I care to write these names....

Because to refer to those countries as "the USSR" is to ignore what Viking Metal is saying.

(just quickly - can you and K7 please make more of an effort to keep your posts readable? This is a really interesting thread, and it's a HUGE effort to decipher what you are saying (I guess this applies mostly to K7, but still).)
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
11.04.2007 - 13:53
Samhain
Account deleted
I actually know of a great one...they are actually one of my favorite bands...DoomSword. Unique music too...Doom/Heavy/Viking metal...and they are from Italy. I'm still waiting for MS to add these guys...I put them in the "bands to add" thread, but still nothing.
11.04.2007 - 16:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 11.04.2007 at 13:53

I actually know of a great one...they are actually one of my favorite bands...DoomSword. Unique music too...Doom/Heavy/Viking metal...and they are from Italy. I'm still waiting for MS to add these guys...I put them in the "bands to add" thread, but still nothing.

I agree man awsome band, realy awsome band I love all albums and songs
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2007 - 11:08
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Bad English on 10.04.2007 at 11:03

Written by GT on 09.04.2007 at 20:16

Well Hyvaarin and Judas pretty much said it. All though I believe that as long as you have an honest interest in the religion and have the facts sorted out you could make it work eventhough you're from SA

SA - Sout Africa or America?

Since the creator of the thread is from South Africa I guess I don't mean South America
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
14.04.2007 - 16:48
Revenant
Account deleted
I don't see anything wrong with it as such but I think a 'Zulu Metal' band with African tribal rythmns and instruments, as well as lyrics and iamgeery, would be indescribably more interesting. The metal scene is running out of things to write aobut Thor and Odin, let's see some original mythology and history?
14.04.2007 - 17:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 14.04.2007 at 16:48

I don't see anything wrong with it as such but I think a 'Zulu Metal' band with African tribal rythmns and instruments, as well as lyrics and iamgeery, would be indescribably more interesting. The metal scene is running out of things to write aobut Thor and Odin, let's see some original mythology and history?

I agree hahah Zullu Wariors, Birmingham City
But iMO seems viking metal in one point are owerated, ok slavonic mytology a lot of band ssing abou them, but where are ancient greek, roman, indian, chinsea, it can be good lyric themat too also german, but german bands use something, so ... such metal are opon for new thinks
----

apos;'
[image]
15.04.2007 - 12:57
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@K7: agree with you here. Would be cool with power metal bands singing about old Greek and Roman mythology. Songs about Sparta, Zeus and that kind of stuff...it's time to give Odin and Thor a rest
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.04.2007 - 15:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 15.04.2007 at 12:57

@K7: agree with you here. Would be cool with power metal bands singing about old Greek and Roman mythology. Songs about Sparta, Zeus and that kind of stuff...it's time to give Odin and Thor a rest

Haha I agree man, but there are some italian bands who sing about such themes like Spartans, Haill to hellas and Such thinks
I had hear soem epic and power band sin italian tv dont know names but songs was about hellenic and roman mytology and history

But alo heavy metal band scan us eit like Iron maiden - Alexander The Great, Lolyness Of Long Distance Runner and Flight of Icarus, and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2007 - 00:59
necrovamp
well. The vikings did invade england. Twice. so we do have viking blood here. so english bands could play viking metal. then again id love to see a japaneese band play viking metal that would be cool.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
16.04.2007 - 01:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by necrovamp on 16.04.2007 at 00:59

well. The vikings did invade england. Twice. so we do have viking blood here. so english bands could play viking metal. then again id love to see a japaneese band play viking metal that would be cool.

Nop ist eb no good its be like sabbat (Jap) not UK band ... boring IMO, in japan has samuras, ninjas, history great philosophy thay can play and sing about it not vikings
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2007 - 05:42
DwarfMetal
Account deleted

by vikings... what nationality do you mean, like vikings from finland or scandinavia? And dont say scottland, they are FAR from vikings. But they were kool none the less becuase they had big SWOOOORDS
16.04.2007 - 10:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.04.2007 at 05:42

by vikings... what nationality do you mean, like vikings from finland or scandinavia? And dont say scottland, they are FAR from vikings. But they were kool none the less becuase they had big SWOOOORDS

Vikings was Danish(thay moustly atack to England, France, and that area)
Norevgians - well thay moustly go to west side of Atlantic
Swedish - Go to Russiam, baltic States and Asia

Those nations are vikings
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2007 - 17:39
Hyvaarin
Written by Bad English on 16.04.2007 at 01:13

Nop ist eb no good its be like sabbat (Jap) not UK band

Uhh...what?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
16.04.2007 - 17:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hyvaarin on 16.04.2007 at 17:39

Written by Bad English on 16.04.2007 at 01:13

Nop ist eb no good its be like sabbat (Jap) not UK band

Uhh...what?

hahah Sabbath its like man thay coppy Venom, Bulldizer, such band sbut play whit pousto not metal
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2007 - 20:23
Kuningas_Arthur
Account deleted

FUCK YOU!!!!! You fucking idiot, Finland was NEVER part of the USSR!!!!! Ever!!!! If I had a pistol with one shot I'd hunt you down sooooo bad!!!! Fuck!!!
16.04.2007 - 20:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.04.2007 at 20:23

FUCK YOU!!!!! You fucking idiot, Finland was NEVER part of the USSR!!!!! Ever!!!! If I had a pistol with one shot I'd hunt you down sooooo bad!!!! Fuck!!!

How cam I didnt saw his post, he even didnt know that Slovenia,m Poland, serbia(Then it was Yugoslavia), Slovenia was not in USSR
Hahahaha I agree but Im tired to fight whit him man , hahhahhaaha
But if you can you an fight whit him
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2007 - 21:46
Thyra
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 11.04.2007 at 16:57

First, I got to tell you man, you have amaizing folk metal band Skyforger. They rocked our club in Zagreb, Croatia and they are amaizng presons too.

Croatia was never ever in SSSR! Nor Serbia, nor Slovenia. You're talkin serious crap man. I'm not suprised Kuningas_Arthur reacted like that.

I think that other countries have amaizing mithology and should stick to their own. I know that vikings are amaizng, but stil Slavic mithologyis beautiful too and it would be silly that croatian bend sings about something else when we have mithology and history too.
16.04.2007 - 21:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.04.2007 at 21:46

Written by Bad English on 11.04.2007 at 16:57

First, I got to tell you man, you have amaizing folk metal band Skyforger. They rocked our club in Zagreb, Croatia and they are amaizng presons too.:banger2:

Croatia was never ever in SSSR! Nor Serbia, nor Slovenia. You're talkin serious crap man. I'm not suprised Kuningas_Arthur reacted like that.

I think that other countries have amaizing mithology and should stick to their own. I know that vikings are amaizng, but stil Slavic mithologyis beautiful too and it would be silly that croatian bend sings about something else when we have mithology and history too.

About USSR think I know I knwoa nd I never had say thay was I just joking whit Miothobad

About Croatian metal I like it good scene yhere are good old school thrash and heavy sceen and balck metal of corese Ashes You Leave, and Crna Udovice, buta lso some slavic paganic BM bands i had lsiten soem bands, but cant remeber names but lyrics was awsome, even I I understand title

I know Skyforger are awsome
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2007 - 23:56
Thyra
Account deleted
AYL are amaizng band. I know member personly and they are great people to. But I understand you you said that they ar BM. They're gothic. I don't know have you heard about Stribog. they are great!

http://www.last.fm/group/Stribog > Here you can dowload their songs and join in to the group! Enjoy!
17.04.2007 - 00:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.04.2007 at 23:56

AYL are amaizng band. I know member personly and they are great people to. But I understand you you said that they ar BM. They're gothic. I don't know have you heard about Stribog. they are great!

http://www.last.fm/group/Stribog > Here you can dowload their songs and join in to the group! Enjoy!

I know Ashes You Leave I open tread about them go post there its emty

Its death/doom leitehr gothic doom
----

apos;'
[image]
17.04.2007 - 21:57
Charibdy
Account deleted
There are a couple of bands in Lithuania, which could be described as viking metal. Of course it differs from orginal viking metal because ours is based on Lithuanian mythology and hystory, so Lithuanian bands make-up new sub-genres like "Heathen War Metal", but they are pretty good nonetheless.

Check this one out: http://www.myspace.com/obtestofficial
17.04.2007 - 22:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 17.04.2007 at 21:30

K7 I don't want to kill you and I don't hate you and I think you're a wonderful person but sorry....there are some things which make me mad....

OF COURSE I know that Croatia nor Serbia nor Finland were ever in USSR....but if you say that IRELAND is UK just for the simplicity of that then for ME...this is as GRAVE INSULT just as saying that Finland is USSR....

THOSE who really BELIEVED that I am THAT retarded that I really believe Serbia and Finland were in USSR....well....then...I won't say anything obscene....
The reason I wrote that was because I WAS MAD that K7 HAD referred to Ireland as UK....Irish aren't even british....nothing to do with the english people...english people are invaders....

Anyhow...If K7 says EVEN ONE MORE TIME that Ireland is UK, then why don't you whine at him....why do you howl at me if I only try to teach this bloody greek latvian....

K7....I don't bother to read your posts because you seem to type with all other possible body parts but not with your hands....

"Im wgit Sinn Fein.." I know very well who the Shinners are but the other part of your sentence is a mystery....

Back to the topic....

Written by Guest on 16.04.2007 at 05:42

Well...it was indeed so that Vikings were mainly from Denmark and Scandinavia.....there were also vikings here on Estonian isles but they weren't that active in Western Europe...besides...they weren't scandinavian but Fenno-Ugric....and as I point out...vikings don't have indeed anything to do with the Scottish...

I love you my cristain brother but I werry well know Eire is not in United Kingdom and stop about it ... and I write how good I can and about Estonian wikings I agree it was pll from Sweden moustly who attack there and there are good BM band sin Estinia like Urduk, Urt, Bestia, Taak, Vari, Kalm and Assamaala those bands make viking feelings and emotions into me, even I dont understand lyrics of some bands but translated song titles and album covers those bands are more more better how some Fiinish bands and I think Estonian metal are best in Baltic and more better how Finish(even Im into doom)

www.estonianmetal.com best site about locek metal in world
----

apos;'
[image]
17.04.2007 - 23:10
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Actually the closest band to viking metal in Estonia would be Bestia - has some viking themes, but I wouldn't call it a viking metal band. And K7 mentioned Taak - can you point out some facts why you think the band is somehow related to viking metal or even to vikings? - same goes to saying that Taak is BM.

I wouldn't call Estonians vikings - they may have raided several villages in Finland and Sweden, but the real viking era was already coming to an end.
17.04.2007 - 23:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by UnholyMenace on 17.04.2007 at 23:10

Actually the closest band to viking metal in Estonia would be Bestia - has some viking themes, but I wouldn't call it a viking metal band. And K7 mentioned Taak - can you point out some facts why you think the band is somehow related to viking metal or even to vikings? - same goes to saying that Taak is BM.

I wouldn't call Estonians vikings - they may have raided several villages in Finland and Sweden, but the real viking era was already coming to an end.

I menation those bands because thay sing songs about Estonian history, nature and such thinks and thay are more how pure bm ist lil like Windir and thats why I mention them there
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2007 - 13:44
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Bad English on 17.04.2007 at 23:20

I menation those bands because thay sing songs about Estonian history, nature and such thinks and thay are more how pure bm ist lil like Windir and thats why I mention them there

Just because a band sings about their own nation's history, it doesn't mean they need to be brought up in a Viking Metal thread. Please stick to the topic, and while I know it's already been canvassed pretty thoroughly, you guys aren't even on the same planet as the thread should be on. VIKING METAL = about VIKINGS! They were Icelandic, Faeroese, Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish. Their lineage runs through some English, some Scottish, some Irish, some Finnish, most Germans (in religious terms they were almost the same anyway), some French, and a few other isolated strands in Russia and Italy. It is valid if a non-Nordic band sing about Vikings, that's still Viking Metal, but please, keep the lyrical content focussed!
----
18.04.2007 - 13:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Judas on 18.04.2007 at 13:44

Just because a band sings about their own nation's history, it doesn't mean they need to be brought up in a Viking Metal thread. Please stick to the topic, and while I know it's already been canvassed pretty thoroughly, you guys aren't even on the same planet as the thread should be on.

But Estonia are prity close conecte whit Vikings 7th-9th century
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2007 - 14:02
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Bad English on 18.04.2007 at 13:50

Written by Judas on 18.04.2007 at 13:44

Just because a band sings about their own nation's history, it doesn't mean they need to be brought up in a Viking Metal thread. Please stick to the topic, and while I know it's already been canvassed pretty thoroughly, you guys aren't even on the same planet as the thread should be on.

But Estonia are prity close conecte whit Vikings 7th-9th century

I agree, there were definitely Viking contacts there, I'm not arguing with you on that. However, Estonian culture is totally different from Viking culture, and the Vikings never actually settled in Estonia, like they did in England, Ireland, Normandy, Iceland etc. Estonians aren't Vikings, in any way. That's pretty much all I'm saying, I do understand your point though.
----