03. The Wonder Of It All
04. Wishing Well
05. Around The World And Back
06. Stir The Embers
07. A Call To Arms
08. Currency In A Bankrupt World
09. Castaway
10. Easter

Straightforward, fun, genre album. Very, very fine power metal. How Theocracy succeeds at setting themselves apart from others deserving of those tags is the way they balance aggression and melody, crunchy guitars and smooth delivery, punishing drums and soaring melodies, etc, etc. There's no denying a slight thrash influence in this heavy power metal album, though it never strays a centimeter away from "melodic." This confident balance, without trying to be one or the other, is what gives Ghost Ship its own strong voice. (As if further celebrating this successful melding, Ghost Ship's cover art is done by Felipe Machado Franco, who designed for both Iced Earth and Rhapsody Of Fire, bands from both remote ends of the power metal spectrum.)

Something else that makes this work beautifully is that in contrast to the aggressive instruments are the silky and light vocals of band founder Matt Smith. He has natural middle and upper ranges, and an assured ease in his delivery; his voice calmly balances the hard-hitting metal.

I've noticed quite an uptick lately in power metal bands with lyrics featuring tales from Christian mythology. Some bands do this in such a way that is about as subtle as throwing a bowling ball through a window and thus, can be difficult to stomach; other bands employ a more poetic lyrical method and are welcoming to those of us who may not believe in fairy tales, yet still enjoy a good fantasy story from time to time. Rest assured, Theocracy sits comfortably on the latter side.

So enjoy those sing-a-long choruses, cheese lovers! They're not too numerous but they're all addictive; quality over quantity. Actually, while this is decidedly more "Euro power metal" so to speak, the cheese-level is not too over-the-top: fans of heartier thrash-based US power metal may still find a friend in Ghost Ship, as well as us fervent frommagers.

Theocracy has been growing for well over a decade and it really seems like they've accomplished something special in their history with Ghost Ship. I'd like to see this band start to achieve more recognition and fame; they deserve it after this epic.

Ghost Ship releases October 28th on Ulterium Records, shortly before Theocracy embarks on their newest European tour. If you're near a tour stop, go headbang for me!

Written on 06.10.2016 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 180 users
06.10.2016 - 20:36
NecroToxic666

I'll most likely check them out in a few. Always love a good power metal band.
06.10.2016 - 20:38
NecroToxic666

I'll most likely check them out in a few. Always love a good power metal band.
08.10.2016 - 06:46
Creativinity

Have been waiting for this release for the longest time. Need it to come! Although, not a Christian, I can enjoy the awesomeness coming from this band
08.10.2016 - 13:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Definitely an album I want to listen to. This reviews also makes me want to hear more now! I have to wait but it seems like it will be good, as usual with this band.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.10.2016 - 03:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like when you said Christian myology not Christianity as realigion
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.10.2016 - 18:19
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Quote:
us fervent frommagers

Blessed are the cheesemakers.
09.10.2016 - 18:38
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Azarath on 09.10.2016 at 18:19

Quote:
us fervent frommagers

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Best comment
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.10.2016 - 21:15
Rating: 10
Andreas

Hmmm, so the artwork is done by the cheap Colombian? When I first saw it, I thought: "luckily, it looks to good to be Machado cover art". Not that it's that good, but he has certainly done worse.

As for the music, I'm really looking forward to this. Theocracy is one of the few bands that I love in all regards, even the lyrics Not many really good God metal bands around, sadly.
23.10.2016 - 17:51
FelixtheMetalcat

First day blind buy for me. As The WOrld Lies Bleeding was tremendous &eveything I have heard from this so far is right on par with that album. I've never been interested in Christian bands but there are always exceptions & this is the band for people to make that exception. They are extremely talented & have always crafted fantastic tunes.

Hits total: 8775 | This month: 19