Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden - Studio Album Ranking

A lot of excellent albums in the Maiden catalogue. My personal ranking (it's probably controversial) is as follows:

Created by: tominator | 15.10.2016

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by tominator ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 7   Visited by: 55 users
20.10.2016 - 13:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ranking is ok but when you have selected a "With Images" list style, you probably need to put the bandname before each of the albums to get the album cover artwork displayed on the small icon left to each of the entries.

Try adding like this:

Iron Maiden | Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Iron Maiden | Brave New World
etc.
20.10.2016 - 17:49
tominator
At best deranged
Written by 3rdWorld on 20.10.2016 at 13:47

Ranking is ok but when you have selected a "With Images" list style, you probably need to put the bandname before each of the albums to get the album cover artwork displayed on the small icon left to each of the entries.

Try adding like this:

Iron Maiden | Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Iron Maiden | Brave New World
etc.

Thnx I'll try it.
24.10.2016 - 12:31
Daniell
_爱情_
As much as I like The Book of Souls, I don't think it should be anywhere near the top 5...
The Final Frontier is IM's worst, by far. You put it over Killers. Seriously?
24.10.2016 - 18:50
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Daniell on 24.10.2016 at 12:31

As much as I like The Book of Souls, I don't think it should be anywhere near the top 5...
The Final Frontier is IM's worst, by far. You put it over Killers. Seriously?

Matter of taste really.

Why The Book Of Souls nr.3? Simply because I think it's one of their most consistent albums they've ever made. Look at the album I put right behind it. Piece Of Mind... excellent album, I simply love it. But that album has a song called Quest For Fire (probably one of the weakest 80s Maiden songs) on it, as well as Sun And Steel (just an average song). Basically what I'm trying to say here is that even on those brilliant albums that are ranked behind The Book Of Souls, there are songs that I like a bit less. And in my opinion the weakest track on The Book Of Souls (When The River Runs Deep) is imo still better than the weakest tracks on the other albums that are placed right behind it.

As for Killers and The Final Frontier... (I knew this one would be the most controversial).

Killers just doesn't connect with me as much as most of the other albums do. I listen more often to The Final Frontier than to Killers. Also I have to say that I like the more progressive style that Maiden went for in the 2000s.

I like the Ides Of March, Wrathchild, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Killers, Genghis Khan and Purgatory but the other songs just don't connect with me. For me Killers is exactly like The Final Frontier. 50% tracks that I love and 50% tracks that I don't connect with.

On The Final Frontier I like: Mother Of Mercy, Starblind, The Man Who Would Be King, Isle Of Avalon, The Talisman and When The Wild Wind Blows.

Is Killers objectively speaking a better album? Probably, but music isn't objective (most of the time).

Also, this is my personal ranking. I never said people had to agree with me and I hope this explains a bit why I ranked them like this.
17.04.2017 - 14:40
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Guest on 17.04.2017 at 13:13

Nice list! 7th Son, BNW and SIT belong to my favorites as well!

Indeed all 3 of them are amazing albums.
02.07.2021 - 20:14
blackwreath13

Nice to see BNW getting the respect it deserves.
08.05.2022 - 15:14
jeffster69

It's funny to see that if many of us consider maiden as the best heavy metal band we're not having the same view on the albums. Really interesting charting you made there as it is far from the ranking i would make.
For me there is :
3 masterpieces : The number of the beast Powerslave and 7th son : no bad title for me and most of the best maiden tracks for me in them.
A bunch of excellent albums : killers, piece of mind, brave new world, dance of death, a matter of life and death, iron maiden. 1 or 2 bad tracks in each.
Good albums : senjutsu (tracks are too long for me) , somewhere in time (unequal album)
So-so albums with lack of power : book of souls, final frontier. Those two disapointed me a lot most of the tracks brings nothing and are much too long and are too soft for me...
bad albums with lack of power : no prayer for the dying, Fear of the dark. Well even if FOTD as a fantastic track the rest is for me out of taste.On those two album i just like 1 song, FOTD....
Can't rank the 2 daze baileys albums anywhere else than with to 2 bad albums but i'm not objective with them...

Hits total: 1584 | This month: 10