Metal Storm logo
Fl Studio

06.11.2016 - 00:11
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So I decided to create this Fl Studio.. music maker..help.. post... thread... thing... And you guys who use this software can ask for help/help the others (please) and whatever not...
Accepting both advanced and newbie questions. Please don't make fun of the newbies, I am one of them. In fact I just downloaded the thing,. really

So I'm gonna start with a noob question:

Say I composed a song with four instruments, then I click "render" and export to a format like mp3, but when I listen to the mp3 file there are parts where one of the instruments is missing when it should not (??) And it's not through the whole song, it just happens in some bits of the song and only for that particular instrument.
Anyone already experienced something similar? Why is this happening?

I take it it's not plugin problems of that particular instrument, because otherwise the whole instrument would be unaudible for the track wouldn't it?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.11.2016 - 00:15
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Karlabos on 06.11.2016 at 00:11

So I decided to create this Fl Studio.. music maker..help.. post... thread... thing... And you guys who use this software can ask for help/help the others (please) and whatever not...
Accepting both advanced and newbie questions. Please don't make fun of the newbies, I am one of them. In fact I just downloaded the thing,. really

So I'm gonna start with a noob question:

Say I composed a song with four instruments, then I click "render" and export to a format like mp3, but when I listen to the mp3 file there are parts where one of the instruments is missing when it should not (??) And it's not through the whole song, it just happens in some bits of the song and only for that particular instrument.
Anyone already experienced something similar? Why is this happening?

I take it it's not plugin problems of that particular instrument, because otherwise the whole instrument would be unaudible for the track wouldn't it?

Heya!

Haven't used FL studio in years, but I had a similar problem with the program Notion. Then I figured it out for that program. Are the missing notes particularly low or high? That was the problem for me with Notion, the instruments in Notion simply didn't have (some of them anyway) a very good range, so the higher notes COULDN'T be played.

A thousand apologies in advance, if the FL studio problem is of a different nature. Really haven't used FL for 7-8 years.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
06.11.2016 - 00:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Metren on 06.11.2016 at 00:15

Heya!

Haven't used FL studio in years, but I had a similar problem with the program Notion. Then I figured it out for that program. Are the missing notes particularly low or high? That was the problem for me with Notion, the instruments in Notion simply didn't have (some of them anyway) a very good range, so the higher notes COULDN'T be played.

A thousand apologies in advance, if the FL studio problem is of a different nature. Really haven't used FL for 7-8 years.

Well, the notes are a bit to the low side. But the thing is... The instrument of problem is a background synth which loops the same four notes along most of the song, so if the notes were not to appear because of the range I think the entire contribution of the synth would be muted. But it still plays sometimes... In fact its sound is only missing in a piece of four beats (the song is 4/4) (I don't know much music theory, sorry if the terminology is wrong, but you get the idea =p)
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.11.2016 - 00:40
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Karlabos on 06.11.2016 at 00:31

Well, the notes are a bit to the low side. But the thing is... The instrument of problem is a background synth which loops the same four notes along most of the song, so if the notes were not to appear because of the range I think the entire contribution of the synth would be muted. But it still plays sometimes... In fact its sound is only missing in a piece of four beats (the song is 4/4) (I don't know much music theory, sorry if the terminology is wrong, but you get the idea =p)

That's different from my Notion problem then... You could always just not conver to Mp3 however, just use Audacity's WASAPI mode (records in Audacity whatever sounds the computer is playing at the time) and record it that way. I think it should work.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
06.11.2016 - 00:54
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Metren on 06.11.2016 at 00:40

You could always just not conver to Mp3 however, just use Audacity's WASAPI mode (records in Audacity whatever sounds the computer is playing at the time) and record it that way. I think it should work.

Nice.

I'm gonna try that, thanks
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.11.2016 - 01:41
Vombatus
Potorro
FL studios is really handy, but also didn't use it in years (I just stick to audacity as I only need recording devices, no longer generate music/sounds through programmes).

Never had a similar issue when exporting to mp3. If it still doesn't work you can always generate the same bit on yet another line (easy to do since it's a single four beat loop) and check if the export does include that one over the missing one.
24.08.2017 - 13:13
Bobarogus

Hi i also use FL and its awsome
about the prob youre having: it might be if you lower your latency for recording and then you keep using it with low latency so it will make strange noises or skip some things..

Btw are you familiar with the V-metal plugin?
06.09.2022 - 07:56
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
What free program (DAW it's called, right?) do you guys recommend if I want to create a song with programmed guitars, drums, bass, synths, etc without playing real instruments? (I have no experience playing actual instruments, but want to find a way to compose my own music - ideally with no payments involved!) Thanks in advance for the help!
06.09.2022 - 09:39
Zap
Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.09.2022 at 07:56

What free program (DAW it's called, right?) do you guys recommend if I want to create a song with programmed guitars, drums, bass, synths, etc without playing real instruments? (I have no experience playing actual instruments, but want to find a way to compose my own music - ideally with no payments involved!) Thanks in advance for the help!

Reaper is free* and can do most things that any expensive DAW can do (at least to my knowledge) although it may take some figuring out. Luckily there are LOADS of Reaper tutorials on Youtube since it has become rather popular. Programming drums, bass, synths are all easy with VST plugins, but I have never programmed guitars (I play guitar so there was never any need) so I don't know how well that would go. You can find loads of free VST plugins (of varying quality of course, but part of the fun is finding good free ones) on the internet. Good luck!

*There is a "trial" but when that ends you can just keep using the software without limitations. If you ever do decide to buy it, it costs only 60€ for non-professionals.

EDIT: There is also LMMS which is completely free and open source. It seems to be a free alternative to FL Studio and overall gets good reviews on alternativeto.net but I have never used it myself so I can't vouch for it.
06.09.2022 - 13:37
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Zap on 06.09.2022 at 09:39

Reaper is free* and can do most things that any expensive DAW can do (at least to my knowledge) although it may take some figuring out. Luckily there are LOADS of Reaper tutorials on Youtube since it has become rather popular. Programming drums, bass, synths are all easy with VST plugins, but I have never programmed guitars (I play guitar so there was never any need) so I don't know how well that would go. You can find loads of free VST plugins (of varying quality of course, but part of the fun is finding good free ones) on the internet. Good luck!

*There is a "trial" but when that ends you can just keep using the software without limitations. If you ever do decide to buy it, it costs only 60€ for non-professionals.

EDIT: There is also LMMS which is completely free and open source. It seems to be a free alternative to FL Studio and overall gets good reviews on alternativeto.net but I have never used it myself so I can't vouch for it.

Thanks for the info! I might start with LMMS.
Are VST plugins universal, i.e. can I link them to any DAW program or are there specific VSTs for specific DAWs?
06.09.2022 - 15:45
Zap
Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.09.2022 at 13:37

Are VST plugins universal, i.e. can I link them to any DAW program or are there specific VSTs for specific DAWs?

As far as I know they are. I haven't really had any issues with that; every VST I have ever tried worked on Reaper, so I assume the experience would be similar on other DAWs. They are dependent on OS, not DAW.
06.09.2022 - 16:14
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Zap on 06.09.2022 at 15:45

Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.09.2022 at 13:37

As far as I know they are. I haven't really had any issues with that; every VST I have ever tried worked on Reaper, so I assume the experience would be similar on other DAWs. They are dependent on OS, not DAW.

Thanks! So far, my research has concluded that Metal-GTX by Unreal Instruments might be the best VST for electric guitar. Thanks for the help!
07.09.2022 - 11:06
Zap
Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.09.2022 at 16:14

Thanks! So far, my research has concluded that Metal-GTX by Unreal Instruments might be the best VST for electric guitar. Thanks for the help!

No problem. I might look into that VST myself as I can't play my electric guitars at the moment