Album: Morningrise
Release date: June 1996

01. Advent
02. The Night And The Silent Water
03. Nectar
04. Black Rose Immortal
05. To Bid You Farewell
06. Eternal Soul Torture [2000 reissue bonus]

Morningrise is considered to be an iconic album for death metal fans, but the word iconic also applies to Opeth's history, because it certainly gave them that boost of popularity in the underground metal scene of the '90s. Just look at the album ratings on various music database sites and you'll see what impact it had on the listeners.

That doesn't apply to me, however, as I started listening to Opeth from the Watershed days, with perfect production and far more complex compositions, so I'm going to give a brief and honest opinion on the band's second album.

The first time I heard Morningrise was probably in 2011. I bought the reissue edition CD and hoped to hear something as familiar as Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries, but nope... I was terrified at first. I already knew "Advent" and "The Night And The Silent Water" from their live albums, so they went "okay", despite the average production level (sorry Dan!). Up next was "Nectar" and its "facepalmish" DOOM-game-sounding drum intro which really set the tone for the rest of the album, because all I cared about was how bad the drums sounded and how edgy were the guitars mixed. Nevertheless, songwriting-wise, all tracks are pretty good, but "Black Rose Immortal" sounds like Mikael didn't know what to do with different song ideas he had and he just put them altogether in one song. It just doesn't feel like an epic, not even like a medley, if you know what I mean. Yes, the first impression was "It's the worst Opeth album ever", but it got better and better with every spin, in a different mood.

But speaking of originality of this piece, I'd give it a 9 because back in those days you wouldn't expect such a diverse album, filled with death metal harmonies, prog and lots of acoustic guitars. It's certainly more original than the band's two latest albums to this day, Pale Communion and Sorceress, because these two sound like "Opeth covers Opeth covers '70s prog". Nothing new about that.

Finally, if you own the Reissue Edition CD, you'll find the bonus track "Eternal Soul Torture", the sound quality and musicianship on which perfectly justify its title! Seriously, it's THAT bad, regardless of its mesmerizing middle part, which was later used in "Advent".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 6

Written by andreosokin | 01.11.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
marco
Rating:
Before we get to this album, I would like to get an answer to a rather difficult question. Exactly what is Opeth's style ? The riffs are similar to progressive, but Opeth also has death vocals mixed with clean ones and acoustic guitars, plus on top of that the whole album has a dark atmosphere that surrounds the listener each time he/she listens to it. Here you will find everything, aggression and emotion, calm and anger, heaviness and mellowness, everything in one song, yet never sounding like different parts, but always in a flow.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Talvi
Rating:
Actually, many people know Opeth. It is a love it or hate it band. You can love how the music flows without following typical structures. You won't expect those heavy riffs after the relaxing acoustic break. But you can hate how each song looks like some random riffs put together. Well, this review is from one who does love, at least, this album.

Read more ››
published 22.07.2006 | Comments (27)

Guest review by
ToMegaTherion
Rating:
Many questions have been asked of the style and coherence of Opeth's music. Yet despite the debate and questioning Opeth remain one of the world's leading metal bands. The first of a long line of excellent albums by Opeth was released following their debut Orchid the year before. Morningrise is often regarded as the defining album for the band with a diverse range of sounds, often confusing in composition but nevertheless contrived expertly. It is an epic album full of epic songs, with elements of Death Metal and acoustic blues to mix things up. The album progresses and weaves through a barrage of riffs, solos and an undying unprecedented patience and passion for the music expressed by Mikael Akerfeldt.

Read more ››
published 01.10.2009 | Comments (19)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 60 users
12.11.2016 - 09:50
Rating: 9
WayTooManyCDs

Yeah, generally when a song was cut from an early Opeth album it was for good reason. By far their worst songs are some of the ones added to the re-releases. As for your perspective, it is interesting to know what someone who started with their newer material feels about their early albums. It is hard to describe how Morningrise blew everyone's mind if you weren't part of that experience at the time, there are so many bands who have taken inspiration from it that Morningrise is no longer "unique". You seem to feel about Morningrise how I feel about a lot of the music that inspired Morningrise..."I'm sure it was amazing in its day but it just doesn't click with me".

I hope the album continues to grow on you, it is certainly worth the occasional listen to unlock a few more pieces that may not have been noticed before, but I can respect how it lacks some appeal for you.
14.11.2016 - 09:32
Rating: 8
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by WayTooManyCDs on 12.11.2016 at 09:50

Yeah, generally when a song was cut from an early Opeth album it was for good reason. By far their worst songs are some of the ones added to the re-releases. As for your perspective, it is interesting to know what someone who started with their newer material feels about their early albums. It is hard to describe how Morningrise blew everyone's mind if you weren't part of that experience at the time, there are so many bands who have taken inspiration from it that Morningrise is no longer "unique". You seem to feel about Morningrise how I feel about a lot of the music that inspired Morningrise..."I'm sure it was amazing in its day but it just doesn't click with me".

I hope the album continues to grow on you, it is certainly worth the occasional listen to unlock a few more pieces that may not have been noticed before, but I can respect how it lacks some appeal for you.

Hey, thanks for sharing a constructive opinion! I totally get your point and yes, maybe it will gros on me someday, but I'm pretty sure I'll never give it a 9 or 10 One of the main reasons is that I feel how Opeth's maturity in the 00s helped them craft some outstanding albums, starting from BWP. Back in the 90s, they were young and too ambitious, with low production budgets, etc, so that's what probably repels me from those records.
14.11.2016 - 14:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by andreosokin on 14.11.2016 at 09:32

One of the main reasons is that I feel how Opeth's maturity in the 00s helped them craft some outstanding albums, starting from BWP. Back in the 90s, they were young and too ambitious, with low production budgets, etc, so that's what probably repels me from those records.

The main reason Opeth is so low nowadays is bands who're influenced from big prog metal outfit Opeth making absolutely phenomenal records than Opeth can think of now. By re-releasing 70's worshiping prog rock albums and implementing forceful elements into their musical dimensions, it's been under-shadowed by other brooding new prog metal acts. You call it Mikael's cynical dominance to Opeth's sound or trying real hard to be different and unique, in whichever way, they're failing miserably.
15.11.2016 - 09:19
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.11.2016 at 14:50

Written by andreosokin on 14.11.2016 at 09:32

One of the main reasons is that I feel how Opeth's maturity in the 00s helped them craft some outstanding albums, starting from BWP. Back in the 90s, they were young and too ambitious, with low production budgets, etc, so that's what probably repels me from those records.

The main reason Opeth is so low nowadays is bands who're influenced from big prog metal outfit Opeth making absolutely phenomenal records than Opeth can think of now. By re-releasing 70's worshiping prog rock albums and implementing forceful elements into their musical dimensions, it's been under-shadowed by other brooding new prog metal acts. You call it Mikael's cynical dominance to Opeth's sound or trying real hard to be different and unique, in whichever way, they're failing miserably.

Read my mind. They should have ended this on Heritage, which is a good one and that way it also could give more "points" for their next metal album, 'coz fans would have been waiting. Today, all we see is funny memes like "Make Opeth growl again" or this :
15.01.2017 - 06:01
DJ Cosimoto

Orchid and morningrise were truly ground breaking records. Their mixes of genres and instrumental talent laid the foundation of extremely creative and we'll written songs creating a whole new genre and influenced countless bands since. I find that opera on average wrote their best stuff on these albums and all though the production might not be too notch it actually gives it a certain charm comparing to modern ultra clean productions.

That's what should be said instead of I don't like how the hi hat sounds.
16.01.2017 - 08:54
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 15.01.2017 at 06:01

Orchid and morningrise were truly ground breaking records. Their mixes of genres and instrumental talent laid the foundation of extremely creative and we'll written songs creating a whole new genre and influenced countless bands since. I find that opera on average wrote their best stuff on these albums and all though the production might not be too notch it actually gives it a certain charm comparing to modern ultra clean productions.

That's what should be said instead of I don't like how the hi hat sounds.

Okay, write your own review BTW, I said nothing about the hi-hat
25.01.2017 - 03:00
DJ Cosimoto

Okay I am sorry for the negative Vibes about the post earlier and also the many a parent misspelled words. I just got a bit defensive when the talk comes about orchids and morning rise. I still like you though
25.01.2017 - 16:35
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 25.01.2017 at 03:00

Okay I am sorry for the negative Vibes about the post earlier and also the many a parent misspelled words. I just got a bit defensive when the talk comes about orchids and morning rise. I still like you though

25.01.2017 - 21:02
DJ Cosimoto

Not sure what a unicorn drinking a gay shake has to do with all of this.... But ok. 👍
26.01.2017 - 08:42
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 25.01.2017 at 21:02

Not sure what a unicorn drinking a gay shake has to do with all of this.... But ok. 👍

haha gay shake LOL

Hits total: 5056 | This month: 10