Metal Storm logo
The Metal Cassette Tape Thread

12.11.2016 - 21:49
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Apparently there's been a small time revival happening with cassettes. Loads of bands are initially releasing their albums early on limited cassette only version, big bands like Mayhem, Inqusition and Vader are releasing their albums on cassette tapes and even a recent big Hollywood blockbuster movie released their soundtrack and made such a promotion for the format.

I agree, the format is indeed quite a hassle and the sound quality isn't comparable to the subsequent CD or preceding Vinyl format and also they haven't made a comeback like Vinyls but it is just a bunch of passionate people trying to keep alive a format for nostalgia if nothing else and I don't see anything wrong with it! I personally started out listening to music with the cassette format back in the 90's so it does indeed hold quite a bit of nostalgia for me. There's even a Cassette Store Day to market the format.

So post and discuss your favorite albums on cassette format and your favorite cassette special edition albums. And please do stay on topic. I will be regularly posting albums on the format whenever I find anything unique, cool or noteworthy with info and links to purchase wherever possible.
12.11.2016 - 21:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
To start with, here's something on CS which is just jawdropping. This is by apparently released by Devout Records.

Leviathan - Scar Sighted (2015)

The upcoming Saor album looks literally ice cool on this format.

Saor - Guardians (2016)

12.11.2016 - 22:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Another one of my favorite CS editions. Added coolness thanks to it being a double album, the 150 minute behemoth of a black metal album by Dodsengel, their third full length. This is released by Barghest UK and is out of stock on their website. Its only available on Discogs now.

Dødsengel ‎- Imperator (2012)

12.11.2016 - 22:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Just recently found this exquisite looking special tape edition that comes in a wooden box on BC. Apparently its released by some Malaysian label called BTNKcllctv.

Vokonis - Olde One Ascending (2016)

Normal cassette version.

The Cvlt Tape edition

14.11.2016 - 05:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by 3rdWorld on 12.11.2016 at 22:10

Just recently found this exquisite looking special tape edition that comes in a wooden box on BC. Apparently its released by some Malaysian label called BTNKcllctv.

Vokonis - Olde One Ascending (2016)

Normal cassette version.

The Cvlt Tape edition

Awesome looking set. Btw if you're into cassettes also check out Tartarus Records which is a cassette label run by Richard Postma of Ortega
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2016 - 06:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2016 at 05:54

Awesome looking set. Btw if you're into cassettes also check out Tartarus Records which is a cassette label run by Richard Postma of Ortega

Oh yeah I found them out by the recent GTT news on which the tape version was announced to be handled by them. They have some neat and unique tape items indeed. But never knew it was by an Ortega member, thanks for the heads up!
17.11.2016 - 19:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
And look who have teased a special edition cassette box just an hour back. Tartarus records with Ortega's latest album.

No details about the contents yet though, will be keeping a eye on it fo' su'.

17.11.2016 - 19:27
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Let's not forget about Abyssal's Perichoresis The boxset is sold out already.

17.11.2016 - 21:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.11.2016 at 19:14

And look who have teased a special edition cassette box just an hour back. Tartarus records with Ortega's latest album.

No details about the contents yet though, will be keeping a eye on it fo' su'.

As far as I know it was already spld out during pre-orders a couplevof months ago.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2016 - 21:08
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2016 at 21:05

As far as I know it was already spld out during pre-orders a couplevof months ago.

Oh, didn't know that. Then might be just pictures it being ready to be shipped or might be re-stock boxes. Will have to wait and see.
17.11.2016 - 21:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.11.2016 at 21:08

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2016 at 21:05

Oh, didn't know that. Then might be just pictures it being ready to be shipped or might be re-stock boxes. Will have to wait and see.

These are pictures of them being ready to be shipped.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2016 - 22:31
Mik
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 12.11.2016 at 21:53

The upcoming Saor album looks literally ice cool on this format.

Saor - Guardians (2016)

This looks so cool. Might really focus more on cassettes it seems.
18.11.2016 - 04:25
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Paz on 17.11.2016 at 19:27

Let's not forget about Abyssal's Perichoresis The boxset is sold out already.

Oh it looks awesome. Its still available for grabs on discogs though, seems I even have it on my wantlist there but totally forgot about it.
18.11.2016 - 05:49
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The Amenra I-V discography box set once again from Tartarus records. Sold out on their website and only available without the box. If you want the box you have to find a good deal at discogs.

Amenra I-V

19.11.2016 - 01:43
Vombatus
Potorro
I'd like to get this The Meads of Asphodel tape boxset:

But it's impossible to even get info about it
19.11.2016 - 08:55
Korpi
\m/ ichigan
Not sure how much of it is a "revival" and how much of it is just mainstream metal just now noticing this is still a thing. Seems like small underground bands have always released stuff on cassette even after it's "death". Tapes definitely don't compare to near perfect lossless playback, but some setups will get you a 15Hz-22kHz, and many people who listen to lossy mp3s don't even notice the difference in my experience.

[img]s16.postimg.org/duqalg79x/cassettes.jpg[/img]

Isenblåst - Forest of Frost being my current favorite but Inferious Torment - War Against Christianity is a close second. I also have a Destroyer666 - Wildfire tape in that box which is part of this "revival" movement. Kudos to Isenblåst for digging this copy up for me, awesome Michigan black metal. isenblast666.bandcamp.com/album/forest-of-frost-remaster
25.11.2016 - 20:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why people still care about it?
I told my teenage day meathead friend RI in maybe 1996 that cassetes will come back, he laughed, here we go
I prefer digital music, MP3 as cassettes, but CD, Vinily is best for me, you need pen otherwise cassete don't work hahhaha and tape can be bad and we need clue it, and then half song is lost
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.11.2016 - 20:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Bad English on 25.11.2016 at 20:35

Why people still care about it?

Cuz we can.
04.12.2016 - 21:26
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This is another must-have MC release for me. Only that I never would listen to it considering how raw the production already is on this album, lel.

11.12.2016 - 09:20
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Live album compilation from Robust Fellow label. From Kiev, Ukraine. Have no friggin idea how this sounds but the whole box and the design looks really good.

RBF 002 Robust Sessions 2011​-​2013, Cassette series

11.12.2016 - 09:25
3rdWorld
China was a neat
11.12.2016 - 09:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
29.12.2016 - 16:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This is quite a nice looking and unique cassette.

Petrichor - Petrichor

29.12.2016 - 20:32
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Also this amazing looking cassette with a 16 page booklet. Insanely purchase-worthy.

# Black cassette with red lead.
# Printed with silver ink.
# Includes J-card, paper band, 16-page booklet, and download card.

N'Zwaa - Let The Earth Rotate​/​Let The Cosmic Fabric Flow

11.01.2017 - 11:38
Fiendfyre

I used to have loads of demos on cassette (mainly European death metal bands from the mid 90's) and they were fun. But unfortunately the format doesn't give itself to great quality and I find cassettes are certainly the most awkward to formats when they go wrong. I got rid of most of mine years ago due to a house move requiring space, mixed with the fact all these demos were now online. I can't lie however, I do miss them sometimes!
13.01.2017 - 20:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Fiendfyre on 11.01.2017 at 11:38

I used to have loads of demos on cassette (mainly European death metal bands from the mid 90's) and they were fun. But unfortunately the format doesn't give itself to great quality and I find cassettes are certainly the most awkward to formats when they go wrong. I got rid of most of mine years ago due to a house move requiring space, mixed with the fact all these demos were now online. I can't lie however, I do miss them sometimes!

That truly is the case with tapes. But I've found the perfect solution for me: Never listen to my tapes. I try these days mostly to get cassettes for which there are digital download codes provided or atleast a digital copy available. That way I can have the album in cassette format, preserve it and listen to the album anytime without much hassle too.
13.01.2017 - 20:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Probably among the best special edition tapes evah. Collaborative release from Beyond Eyes and Triangulum Ignis. Available for purchase here.

CULT OF FIRE "Life, Sex & Death"

"Blooming from the fatal blow of the sanguine goddess, the resulting distillation evokes an alluring and vibrant harmony.

Cult of Fire "Life, Sex & Death" MC
Epic Black Metal
AZOTH13/BE04

· Life
· Chinnamasta Mantra
· Death
· Tantric Sex

Exclusive release, each of the boxes handcrafted from scratch, printed in a traditional offset machine, and adorned with gifts from the Ganga, such as Marigold flowers recovered from the garlands worn by the dead bodies left to float, and bottles filled with water from the Sacred River from the cities of Mayapur and Varanasi.
Limited to 300."

13.01.2017 - 23:36
Fiendfyre

Written by 3rdWorld on 13.01.2017 at 20:28

That truly is the case with tapes. But I've found the perfect solution for me: Never listen to my tapes. I try these days mostly to get cassettes for which there are digital download codes provided or atleast a digital copy available. That way I can have the album in cassette format, preserve it and listen to the album anytime without much hassle too.

I am quite lucky that all but one of my tapes are friends bands, so I just buy it to support them and then ask them to send me the MP3 files! The only old school tape I have left is the Gorgoroth demo which I have never even played, couldn't get rid of it because of the historical relevance mixed with my collecting. Was quite lucky there, got it in a job lot years ago when I bought about 200 cassettes off someone!

That said, I think somewhere I have some live bootlegs that I need to upload online because I think some of them have never been heard before by the general public.
29.01.2017 - 20:27
3rdWorld
China was a neat
One of the most ridiculously awesome tape releases ever. Again from the Czech dudes behind Cult of Fire.

Death Karma - The History of Death & Burials Part 1

09.03.2017 - 23:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The Stellar Master Elite - III: Eternalism - The Psychospherical Chapter tape release from 2015 through Germany's Essential Purification Records looks terrific.

It comes in a Foldcover on Heavy Black Art Paper with Gold Print and is limited to just 100 copies.