09. Clearing Skies
10. When The World Screams
11. Merciless Fate
12. Caves And Embers

Disc II [limited mediabook bonus]
01. The Absolute
02. Time Out Of Place

Dark Tranquillity, season 11.

Three years ago we had Construct, a so-so album - a mostly failed experiment at redefining themselves. Sure, these last few years haven't been easy on DT as far as line-up was concerned, particularly 2016 with the departure of founding member Martin Henriksson.

Yet this was probably the proverbial kick in the guts the Dark Tranquillity guys needed, as we immediately discover with opener "Encircled". This fantastic song - easily the best of the album, sorry to spoils the beans already - feature incisive guitar lines and great hooks throughout.

Don't fret, however, there are plenty of goodies afterwards. Title track "Atoma" could easily become a future live favourite with its "Therein" mood, and "Forward Momentum"'s mellower and slower approach is magnified by the great melodic lines. (As a side note, I must say I really like the song's videoclip - they're a band past their forties now, and it shows in a good way; they matured and aged like us, and the questions they raise could be for each and everyone of us).
And it goes on. Each song has its twists and hooks, whether riff going in an unexpected direction (fantastic "Neutrality"), tempo shifts, value-adding keyboards effects ("Atoma"'s intro, "Force Of Hand"), inspired solos, you name it. All these variations, that make you raise your eyes / ears / whatev' in approving surprise, are the definitive signature of Atoma.

Sure, the song structures are quite classical for DT - a tried and true formula - yet the thousand quirks on the riffs, solos and effects make it for a refreshing and interesting listen. There's indeed a certain playfulness (or an urge to evolve or die) in them that makes them all the more tasty. Speaking of songwriting, I must admit being a bit worried beforehand; I mean, the catchiest songs DT ever were the brainchilds of the Jivarp / Henriksson duo. With one of them gone... Well, Anders Jivarp did prove he owed 'nothing to no one', and wrote or co-wrote more than half of the album, including the two bonus tracks - fantastic mellow, electronic heavy rock songs with quite a Depeche Mode feel.
As for Mikael Stanne, he's still as much the great vocalist we know and love - whether for clean or harsh vocals. The lyrics, while as always never too specific, certainly show the conflicting sense of disarray, anger and helplessness we felt after the terrorist attacks - remember Dark Tranquillity did play once in the Bataclan, in 2011...

Now, on the shadier side of things... The simplistic all-stop endings ("Atoma", "Forward Momentum", etc) really bothered me. Anything would have been better, really. Then there's the melodic verse of "Our Proof Of Life" which is almost a carbon copy of "State Of Trust" (out of Construct). That's the first time, I think, that Dark Tranquillity outright repeat themselves. And, let's face it, Atoma's second half is a bit less impressive - something not unknown with DT, as Damage Done or We Are The Void can attest. Sure, "Clearing Skies" does make up for it, but still.

On a more personal note, I admit I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of a follow-up to "Inside The Particle Storm" or "Endtime Hearts" - same with "Caves And Embers" which just can't compare with album closers like "None Becoming", "Ex Nihilo" or "Emptier Still".

I realize more or less all my criticism is nitpicking based on being a long-time fan, and having a lot of material to compare to... And good or bad, I certainly couldn't cover everything - or that would make for a very boring read - so let's conclude by saying that Atoma appears as the continuation of Construct, but in a successful, bold step forward manner, and with an homogeneity not found since Character. For the un-initiated that would be guitar-driven Gothenburg melodeath with great keyboards spicing it up.
Truth is, this album is excellent, their best since 2005 indeed, but maybe slightly less accessible and a bit more demanding than Fiction, for example. It's easily the best melodeath album of the year - and of recent years, all things considered - and an excellent entry point for those of you who never sampled the Swedes' fantastic music!

Written on 17.11.2016 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 653 users
17.11.2016 - 00:31
Rating: 8
Risto
Wandering Midget
The first couple of paragraphs could've used more careful proofreading, but otherwise it's quite well written I find the second half of the album to be a little stronger than the first though; Our Proof of Life is my favourite and I could live without Encircled, haha.
17.11.2016 - 00:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Risto on 17.11.2016 at 00:31

The first couple of paragraphs could've used more careful proofreading, but otherwise it's quite well written I find the second half of the album to be a little stronger than the first though; Our Proof of Life is my favourite and I could live without Encircled, haha.

Proofreading incoming And thanks!
funnily enough, I consider Our Proof of Life to be one of the weakest songs on the album... To each his own, obviously, but living with "Encircled"? Hell no!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
17.11.2016 - 00:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Song video clip was shout in Abisko, its close to home, because always if you look to the north, are some kind a majic and Risto said to me that molotoc party was made in Oulu.
I like video I like where Stanne hugget those people, his beard was weird, somehow it makes me think how much time and what part of life I have been wasited in MS
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.11.2016 - 01:06
Rating: 10
Kuroboshi

I found Clearing Skies to be the best song, and you didn't even mention it! Def the best DT since Character, but the aforementioned song was the only one I stopped up and checked the song title. Three times.
17.11.2016 - 01:11
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Kuroboshi on 17.11.2016 at 01:06

I found Clearing Skies to be the best song, and you didn't even mention it! Def the best DT since Character, but the aforementioned song was the only one I stopped up and checked the song title. Three times.

I did mention it
It's the best of the second half, with "The Pitiless" - can't say which one I love most, however.
----

I am awake"
17.11.2016 - 01:12
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Bad English on 17.11.2016 at 00:40

Song video clip was shout in Abisko, its close to home, because always if you look to the north, are some kind a majic and Risto said to me that molotoc party was made in Oulu.
I like video I like where Stanne hugget those people, his beard was weird, somehow it makes me think how much time and what part of life I have been wasited in MS

landscape was nice - desolate, but quite beautiful
(and yes, we do all grow older...)
----

I am awake"
17.11.2016 - 01:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 17.11.2016 at 01:12

Written by Bad English on 17.11.2016 at 00:40

landscape was nice - desolate, but quite beautiful
(and yes, we do all grow older...)

you're from Toulouse you will be depressed there :p sun shines dec-jan 0h per day :p
I have been there but live, I don't think I would like live in Abisko or Riksgrensen .. end of civilsation but beautiful end,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.11.2016 - 04:39
Rating: 9
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Interesting album, more variation than usual from Dark Tranquillity. Some great tunes yet I still enjoy listening to Construct more as a whole at this point.

That's one lesson from their discography, comparing albums is kind of pointless in the end for me. Each album has its own aura and I don't seem to align too much with the general consensus on which one is "best" and so forth.
17.11.2016 - 10:06
s_t_s

Partially agree with this review but :

* Construct is a very good album imo, nothing inferior to any other DT releases.
* Encircled is a great song, but not my fave as "Atoma" and "Clearing Skies" do share that position

Sure some songs end up so abruptly that it kinda kills the fun when you would expect them to last some more. Also as (or like ?) you said there is no real closer as "Iridium" or "The Mundane and the magic" or "None Becoming" but I consider the bonus tracks to play that part. Then it is actually a bit sad they were not included into the full album. Yes they are very soft but also very deep at heart and deserve to be part of the experience (also I hate to have tracks I love on a separate disc).

All in one, I'm still waiting for the album price to drop before I can buy it but it's a real torture to be content with the MP3s
17.11.2016 - 13:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Interesting thoughts. I'm loving the album and listening to it quite frequently. I disagree that Damage Done's second half is less impressive, but hey that's one of my fav DT albums and no-one can touch it

I do agree that the second half of Atoma is indeed not as strong as the first half. However, overall is just better than Construct and We Are The Void for me. A step in the right direction.

Favourite songs at the moment: "Force Of Hand" and "Encircled".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.11.2016 - 00:29
Darkside Momo
Retired
Thanks for all the comments!

Now, about Construct: while I consider it as "not really good", I still enjoy it as the fanboy I am - it's just that I can see it has flaws, but those doesn't prevent me to enjoy some of the songs (like "Endtime Hearts" - still not as good as "Inside The Prticle Storm" - or "Uniformity" which displays some of the best clean vocals Makeal ever done, only surpassed by these two bonus tracks on Atoma).

As for general consensus and stuff: I don't car about it either. I barely ever listen to The Mind's I which is considered good because I don't like it, and while The Gallery is obviously a masterpiece that I praise as such, I like Damage Done much more because of the impact it had on me - yet DD objectively isn't one of their best albums, seeing it features quite e few fillers ("Format C: For Cortex" and "Cathode Ray Sunshine" in particular).
Anyway, to each his own in the end, obviously. DT are talented enough to offer something for everyone while staying true to themselves

I feel the two bonus tracks are so different that it's good they're somehow separate - but indeed they're a part of the full experience and just add another level of excellence to Atoma
----

I am awake"
18.11.2016 - 02:09
Lanthros

Personaly I find this to be the best album since Projector (my personal favorite).
18.11.2016 - 05:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
AWESOME artwork on this one.... but not exactly the type of metal I'm usually into
Should I take a shot in the dark here?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.11.2016 - 07:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Auntie Sahar on 18.11.2016 at 05:06

Yeah, definitely.

It will be in your comfort zone, plus DT always been amazing with experimentation which I know you very well appreciate it.
18.11.2016 - 18:05
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Idk wtf you talkin' 'bout Construct was excellent.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
18.11.2016 - 18:59
JackTors1

Why cant we rate this album?
19.11.2016 - 00:54
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Honestly, there has never been a more consistent band in the history of metal. These guys are just amazing. Personal favourite is Clearing Skies.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
19.11.2016 - 03:49
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Auntie Sahar on 18.11.2016 at 05:06

Of course! What's the risk?
----

I am awake"
19.11.2016 - 07:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by JackTors1 on 18.11.2016 at 18:59

In order to do that, you have to go over here.

Click on "rate".
19.11.2016 - 18:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.11.2016 at 07:45

Written by JackTors1 on 18.11.2016 at 18:59

In order to do that, you have to go over here.

Click on "rate".

or maybe it was about my "N/A" rating.
----

I am awake"
28.11.2016 - 20:59
s_t_s

Finally got my copy, yeah ! Was getting mad listening to the MP3 I downloaded some days before the release of Atoma. The Deluxe Edition looks great, need to have a closer look at it tonight.
28.11.2016 - 22:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by s_t_s on 28.11.2016 at 20:59

Finally got my copy, yeah ! Was getting mad listening to the MP3 I downloaded some days before the release of Atoma. The Deluxe Edition looks great, need to have a closer look at it tonight.

enjoy the bonus tracks, "The Absolute" is killer stuff - but really different!
----

I am awake"
28.11.2016 - 22:52
s_t_s

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.11.2016 at 22:39

Written by s_t_s on 28.11.2016 at 20:59

enjoy the bonus tracks, "The Absolute" is killer stuff - but really different!

I already knew these tracks as I had also downloaded them and made my mind to get the deluxe edition To me only metal bands manage to create crystal clear songs that make your get goosebump like mad (on that matter Fear Factory f*cking kick asses !).
01.12.2016 - 00:11
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
These songs and all of their old hits were amazing live this past weekend. I got some half decent photos. Mikael still loves the stage after all these years:
https://metaltrenches.com/reviews/live-recap-dark-tranquillity-swallow-the-sun-and-g-680
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
10.12.2016 - 09:24
s_t_s

Written by flightoficarus on 01.12.2016 at 00:11

These songs and all of their old hits were amazing live this past weekend. I got some half decent photos. Mikael still loves the stage after all these years:
https://metaltrenches.com/reviews/live-recap-dark-tranquillity-swallow-the-sun-and-g-680

Glad to hear that DT still loves the stage as I can hardly wait until I can see them play here in France next year ! Can you answer one question tho ? I'm a bit lost with your pictures seeing so many guitarists playing :/ Who the hell is this bald guy with the long beard ? Is he Jens Floren as stated in the band profile ? Does it mean that the band's regular guitarists don't share the tour ?
10.12.2016 - 18:16
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by s_t_s on 10.12.2016 at 09:24

Glad to hear that DT still loves the stage as I can hardly wait until I can see them play here in France next year ! Can you answer one question tho ? I'm a bit lost with your pictures seeing so many guitarists playing :/ Who the hell is this bald guy with the long beard ? Is he Jens Floren as stated in the band profile ? Does it mean that the band's regular guitarists don't share the tour ?

Bald guy? I think you are looking at the other bands? That link had the entire night's lineup. Dark Tranquillity are at the bottom. They have two guitarists, both of which are younger and have hair. He introduced everyone, but I have forgotten the names.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
11.12.2016 - 01:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by flightoficarus on 10.12.2016 at 18:16

Bald guy? I think you are looking at the other bands? That link had the entire night's lineup. Dark Tranquillity are at the bottom. They have two guitarists, both of which are younger and have hair. He introduced everyone, but I have forgotten the names.

There's Niklas Sundin, as always, and Sebastian what's-his-name that is touring with them since last summer or something
----

I am awake"
11.12.2016 - 09:47
s_t_s

I was referring to the video of The Pitiless in which you can spot an almost bald guy with some sort of a pony tail and a long beard When lookin at the band's profile I can see that they actually have 2 touring guitarists and on the last pictures we can see 3 guitarists, incl bassist Anders Iwers. So my question is : considering that the band usually features one bassist and one guitarist, why are there 2 guitarists on that picture ?
11.12.2016 - 09:49
s_t_s

Written by Darkside Momo on 11.12.2016 at 01:56

There's Niklas Sundin, as always, and Sebastian what's-his-name that is touring with them since last summer or something

Yeah basically my question was and still is : on the band's profile picture you can see 6 people, incl former members but DT is officially 5 members now. Does it mean that they have another guitarist who only plays live but doesn't belong to the band ?
11.12.2016 - 10:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by s_t_s on 11.12.2016 at 09:49

Yeah basically my question was and still is : on the band's profile picture you can see 6 people, incl former members but DT is officially 5 members now. Does it mean that they have another guitarist who only plays live but doesn't belong to the band ?

that's it, the second guitarist hasn't been welcomed as a full-time member as far as I know
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 16724 | This month: 39