07. En Mäktig Här
08. Ormhäxan
09. Maktens Spira
10. Under Två Runor
11. Kvällning

Disc II [dualdisc digipak edition DVD]
01. Nattfödd [Live at Wachen open air]
02. Det Iskalla Trollblodet [Live at Wachen open air]

Finnish folk metallers Finntroll have really gained in popularity recently with their last two albums and have really helped put Finnish extreme folk metal on the map. After the success of the last album, expectations for this album were high.

The album kicks off with a three and a half minute introduction track that leads up to the first song on the album "Sång". Especially after the introduction leading up to it I was expecting some marvelous explosion of fast-paced extreme folk metal but the bass guitar and drums kick us into a rather dark sounding, very heavy and mid-tempo Finntroll - not what I was expecting at all. The next song comes along with rhythmic drumming and vocal introduction but there is still nothing with the bounce and fun sound as on previous albums. On first impression it would seem that the fun-loving Finntroll have turned into some kind of methodical dark machine.

Track after track passes and nothing jumps out at you like "Trollhammaren" did for example until the seventh track on the album! "En Mäktig Här" is not a high-tempo song but it includes a little more folkish sounds and although still somewhat dark sounding, the song is probably the most enjoyable on the album. The song is followed by "Ormhäxan" which seems to have a little more punch in it and really picks the album up because from these two songs onwards the album incorporates more of the bands trademark folk elements and is much more enjoyable then the relative mid-paced and gloomy first half of the album.

Either Finntroll wanted to change their sound from the bounce of the previous two albums especially or there is just plainly not as much effort put into this album as the previous releases because the first twenty-five minutes of this album (apart from maybe "Korpens Saga") is rather bland and went straight over the top of my head, the second half of the album is much more enjoyable and brought my overall opinion back to a respectable level. On the whole though, I expected much more from these bombastic pioneers of modern Finnish folk metal even though this is still a worth while album.

Written on 10.04.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 155 users
10.04.2007 - 17:57
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
I agree... Ur Jordens Djup is not a bad album... but I was expecting something better really...

And I miss the "happy" spirit that we had in some songs like "Trollhammaren"...
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
10.04.2007 - 18:12
Rating: 5
ylside
Staff
Didn't like it that much actually.
10.04.2007 - 18:32
Rating: 8
GraMortis
Pretty decent release, though nothing special. I too miss songs like Trollhammaren but still quite good listen after all.
----
Fruere hora.
10.04.2007 - 20:07
Ivor
Staff
The first listen was cool actually. But when I relistened old albums and got back to this one, I found it actually quite average. I can't say I liked "Nattfödd" really back when it was released, although "Trollhammaren" is outstanding track. I still tend to like "Jaktens Tid" the most. No, I'm wrong here. Above all, I love brilliant "Visor Om Slutet" - but that doesn't really count in the sense of everyday Finntroll. "Ur Jordens Djup" is not bad but it's not much over the average. Worth checking out though.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
10.04.2007 - 20:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Ivor

yes, I also think of Visor Om Slutet as their best release. The rest doesn't do it for me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.04.2007 - 08:27
sev7en77
Account deleted
this album disappointed me big time
11.04.2007 - 09:04
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
wow, thats disapointing, I was looking forward to this album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.04.2007 - 12:56
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Very very average album, and pretty disappointing compared to some other work. Not what I was expecting. Also this album bores me really quickly.
But then again, I've never been a huge Finntroll fan.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.04.2007 - 14:44
Rating: 9
Destryphior
I can't see what is wrong with this album, I don't think it's avarage, it's great. I don't recognize any change, it's stil the same Moomin metal to me. There are some avarage songs on the album, but mostly they are all great, not to mention En Mäktig Här, Korpens Saga and ormhäxa. There is still the bouncy happy feeling over it all. For those who still haven't found the extra bonus at the end of Kvällning, you will find it at aprox. 11.30min
15.04.2007 - 13:03
Möbius
Account deleted
Huh? Whats up with all of ya? I think it is a great album, because in my opinion Fintroll sound better when they don't play happy stuff. The atmosphere here is great. I like Trollhammaren too, but this is way better!
15.04.2007 - 17:58
Trinity Blood
it is definitely different...more black than folk which is not necessarily a bad thing...it takes time to get used to it
26.04.2007 - 18:36
delusionist
I havn't heard the whole album, but the songs I have heard sound reall good. I don't miss the trollhammaren spirit. It took me ages to get into the song, and I think Nattfödd contains a lot better songs. But I still think the older albums are better.

And vreth sounds really good.

And I like the video too.
26.04.2007 - 21:51
Rating: 7
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I don't know why all of you think this album is bad just because it is slower and less "happy".
26.04.2007 - 22:18
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Marcus on 26.04.2007 at 21:51

I don't know why all of you think this album is bad just because it is slower and less "happy".

I don't think this album is 'bad' at all.. it's a great album - it is just a little bit of a change from the last album
28.04.2007 - 05:18
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Baz Anderson on 26.04.2007 at 22:18

Written by Marcus on 26.04.2007 at 21:51

I don't think this album is 'bad' at all.. it's a great album - it is just a little bit of a change from the last album

I was referring to roughly the first 7 posts. It is a change, but it is nice to see change in bands. BTW, i liked your Finntroll interview.
28.04.2007 - 05:25
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Marcus on 28.04.2007 at 05:18

I was referring to roughly the first 7 posts. It is a change, but it is nice to see change in bands. BTW, i liked your Finntroll interview.

ah, I see - well yes, still 'Trollhammaren' has become somewhat of a classic song already and so people were a little disappointed there was nothing quite so bouncy in this album
and thanks the interview was a joy to do but took a lot of effort typing up as did the Amon Amarth one
28.04.2007 - 06:11
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Quote:
ah, I see - well yes, still 'Trollhammaren' has become somewhat of a classic song already and so people were a little disappointed there was nothing quite so bouncy in this album
and thanks the interview was a joy to do but took a lot of effort typing up as did the Amon Amarth one

I like all the little riffs in their new album, just as intros to songs. It sounds more uniwue to me than Nattfodd did. Also, i personally preferred Grottans Barn and Vindfard/Manniskopestan over Trollhammaren any day. Maybe I'm just weird though. And, it took me upwards of 30 minutes just to read your interview, so i can't imagine how long it took to type up. It was well worth it!!!
28.04.2007 - 21:44
delusionist
I never realy liked Trollhammaren. I always saw it as a medium track on Nattfödd. And the album didn't really have the feeling I'm looking for in an album. Atm I have only heard two songs from the album (Korpens saga and Nedgång) and they sound amazing. Korpens saga has to be one of the best songs ever.
30.05.2007 - 13:28
Rating: 10
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
One of the Best Finntroll album i think and the new singer is very GOOOOODDD!!! so keep on Finntroll!:beer::drunk:
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
24.06.2007 - 11:56
Nemesisyume
I love Ur Jorden Djup
Vreth is great and i think that this is their best album! Trollhammaren is good... but all the songs on the new album are better!!! i just love it!
25.06.2007 - 17:11
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I love the new album as well. I don't agree with the first seven posts. The folk elements are still there and they aren't hidden. The album is just darker. I don't see what's wrong with that, this is metal we are listening to. Trollhammaren was an ok song, but it was very average and didn't fit in well with the album. I think all of the tracks on Ur Jordens Djup flow together and create a great dark atmosphere, and they do a great job of blending the folk elements that we love them for. Vreth's vocals rock!
19.07.2007 - 00:43
fatpep
Really, after Jaktens Tid i started to be less amazed by Finntroll, either Jaktens Tid a real masterpiece or the after-natfodd is just junk....i dont know but what i know is that i bought Ur Jordens Djup and i am disapointed. Looks like i gotta find another folk pearl that is actually metal...5/10 for me
----
I know there's something more behind
But is it truly justified
To sacrifice
To crucify
The rescue of the human kind
19.07.2007 - 02:55
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by fatpep on 19.07.2007 at 00:43

Looks like i gotta find another folk pearl that is actually metal...5/10 for me

Finntroll is very metal.. what do you mean by that?
I hope you arent going by "Visor Om Slutet" - because that is just an EP, and something a little different..
25.07.2007 - 05:17
fatpep
Well, i said the exact same thing then you. I do like finntroll alot especially because it is very metal in a style where I think, the good ones arent very METAL!
----
To sacrifice
To crucify
25.07.2007 - 05:17
fatpep
Well, i said the exact same thing then you. I do like finntroll alot especially because it is very metal in a style where I think, the good ones arent very METAL!
----
To sacrifice
To crucify
14.09.2007 - 22:41
Fane
Mm.. they sure changed some sound in here, but it's decent album. Mostly agree with you =P
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
23.03.2008 - 12:18
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
En Mäktig Här is such a cool song xD... cant get tired of listen it.. so much fun, makes me want to dance around the fire heheh xD
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
02.04.2008 - 22:08
Kinetic
It's a good album overall. For anyone knowledgeable of Manegarm, is basically the same sound. Like a mix of black and glimpses of folk. I can understand that for a cheerful folk kind of fan this sounds average though...
11.01.2009 - 14:04
EliytresSkogUlv
Account deleted
Vreth made a huge change, Ur Jordens Djup actually isn't humppa influenced, is folk-black. We still miss Wilska, but i agree Mathias(Vreth) is too good and looks like a Troll God.
29.01.2009 - 14:23
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
You people are messed up.....you complain when bands stay stagnant and then you complain when they change for the better! Seriously....Finntroll needed to grow up and finally they have - theyve dwelled in the super-happy for too long and I feel this new-found darker sound fits them perfectly. Much more atmospheric and less fucking-about....now theyre making MUSIC!

3 of the best songs theyve ever made are from this album, Ormhaxan, Korpens Saga and En Maktig Har!
10+ from me!

Hits total: 10321 | This month: 23