Reviewer:
N/A
Band: Combo De La Muerte
Album: La maldicion del combo
Release date: 2007

01. Breaking The Law [Judas Priest cover]
02. Defender [Manowar cover]
03. South Of Heaven [Slayer cover]

The other day, a band contacted me on MySpace to ask if it was possible to have a review of their first EP, "La Maldiciòn Del Combo". Evidently, I checked their page and had a big surprise? It was Metal songs, classics ones actually, but covered with a cool Latin Music (mix of Latin Jazz, Salsa etc) attitude. It was not so Metal on a side, except of course that it was Metal covers but it was so cool that it was impossible for me to say no. Let's go for the first Latin Music review on Metal Storm!

You're not dreaming my friends, I'm not reviewing an album of Metal! Well, not really, Combo De La Muerte plays Metal songs but as you can see, they covered them in some special Latin versions. Take some Latin Jazz, add some Salsa spirit and some "Tarantino Music" vibes to your favorite Metal songs and you will understand how it can sound. And it's cool to see that "Breaking The Law" (Judas Priest), "South Of Heaven" (Slayer) and "Defender (Manowar) could be some real Latin music hits! It's even funny to see that the band managed to transform a Manowar's song into a really beautiful piece of music. Believe me or not but those three songs are really good and sometime you'll even wonder if you're not listening some original versions. No doubt that Combo De La Muerte found the way to write some amazing covers.

Also, we have quality on this EP. The musicians are extremely good, the voice of Luz Del Brujo is really tender and beautiful and there are some special feelings with this release. Yeah, when you'll listen to it and if you're a bit open minded, I'm sure that you'll have a lot of pleasure. It's fun, well done and really original, it's maybe not Metal but it's cool to listen to those songs in this special musical version, especially when you know that the production is perfect.

I will not rate a release of a band which plays Latin covers of Heavy Metal classics but I can tell you that it's really cool to listen to this EP. It's fun and fresh, really well done and with a great musical level so if you're a bit open minded and believe that it can be cool to listen to some Latin music now that the summer is coming? You should have a look on the Myspace page of the combo and you'll quickly understand why I'm saying that it's a great release. Great covers, great musicians, cool spirit, Combo De La Muerte is the band for your Metal (but not so much) summer holidays!

Written by Jeff | 11.04.2007

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 29 users
11.04.2007 - 19:59
Herzebeth

is this like the "Bossa & Roses" series? or "Jazz Tastes Metallic" stuff?
----
11.04.2007 - 20:06
Jeff
Freaky Admin
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
11.04.2007 - 22:39
dancingdecember

great and enjoyable covers,congratz!!! breaking the law cover is really something
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
12.04.2007 - 22:36
GT
Coffee!!
Not a big fan of latin music, but this is great especially the cover of Breaking The Law. Lifts your mood
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
22.04.2007 - 02:01
Susan
Smeghead
Wow this band really has something special here! I enjoyed all of the covers on their myspace page and will probably try to pick up that EP. I hope they start doing ORIGINALS soon (in addition to more delicious covers); they'll be unstoppable!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
23.04.2007 - 04:42
Bitch Boy

Wow I liked this one, sounds very weird, funny and cool. Thanks for the recommendation
30.04.2007 - 11:47
Ereinion'
Account deleted
this band relly makes the best covers
18.02.2009 - 07:39
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh man, surely they have potential, I love this kind of cover bands, they know how to do their stuff very well!
Check again their myspace, they released an album last year with other awesome covers. Thanks Jeff
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
18.02.2009 - 15:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I'm listening to Breaking the law right now.... So fucking sexy!!!!

It really sounds great with that female vocals
Great stuff. Once again I'm happy I'm from Latinamerica
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 4969 | This month: 7