18 users:
Band: Pylar
Album: Pyedra
Release date: November 2016

01. Menga
02. Megalitos
03. Menhir
04. Meteoros

Quick everybody! It's "Guess The Style By The Album Artwork" time! Here we seem to have a cover depicting a giant rock with a portion missing, the drawing style of which could easily be misinterpreted as a male genitalia by our more imaginative friends, or a cake by the more gluttonous. Just what are we dealing with here?

If you guessed "European power metal," I regret to inform you that you were wrong and will unfortunately not be winning the Lamborghini and the Armenian supermodel tonight. On the contrary, Pylar are a Spanish drone doom five piece of colossal proportions. Having finessed my drone preferences more as of late, I've come to generally shy away from that which goes for the more monotonous "wall of sound" approach, and seek out that which attempts a bit more subtlety of musicianship. Thankfully, Pylar do just that on this year's Pyedra. The music here is what I've come to label "expansionist drone," and much like some work from Sunn O))), Menace Ruine, and others, there's a strong incorporation of non-drone techniques here, a feeling of the band almost transcending its would-be limitations.

There's really a lot going on here that serves to impart this feeling. Though retaining a doomy drone core, Pyedra is much, much more than just that, and could be seen as quite unorthodox within its area. Horns, a woefully underused instrument in the genre, rear their head here, giving off a slight Monoliths & Dimensions type atmosphere, or even conjuring thoughts of more ambient type bands like Tauusk or The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation. Violin is also utilized occasionally, with an almost A Forest Of Stars-like beauty. Further still, drumming, another uncommon tool in drone, is also displayed here, in an almost jazzy, improvisational-like style reminiscent of early Boris. Despite these similarities, somehow Pyedra is unquestionably "Pylar," and the sound the band summons here is all their own.

On Pyedra Pylar are throwing quite a few ingredients in the blender, but somehow it all comes out in the form of a cohesive, truly impressive whole. This album is a fine example of the fundamentals of the drone genre: how the free flowing nature essentially forces one to create their own structure from nothingness, to go in whichever direction they choose. And indeed, what a remarkable direction Pylar have chosen to go in here. Boldly creative and more layered than it may initially let on, along with Wolvserpent's latest this is probably the best drone release of 2016, and could very well be one to beat in its department for quite some time.

Play it loud and immerse thyself.

Written on 24.12.2016 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 310 users
24.12.2016 - 22:47
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
See? It wasn't only me who thought about the genitalia.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.12.2016 - 22:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Karlabos on 24.12.2016 at 22:47

See? It wasn't only me who thought about the genitalia.

Wouldn't be the first time I referenced something goofy a user said in a review
Realtalk though, this is a really awesome one. I think the fact that I name dropped like 6 other bands for comparison is a pretty good indication of just how massive and sonically diverse the music is
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
25.12.2016 - 14:43
Rating: 9
mz

Which user U mean?
great record, and one of the better manifestations of modern drone this year.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.12.2016 - 14:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by mz on 25.12.2016 at 14:43

Which user U mean?

I'm pretty sure it was Karla that originally suggested the dick on the cover, but you've been prone to see genitals in artwork yourself, so it could've been you for all I remember
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
25.12.2016 - 15:08
Rating: 9
mz

Written by Auntie Sahar on 25.12.2016 at 14:47

I'm pretty sure it was Karla that originally suggested the dick on the cover, but you've been prone to see genitals in artwork yourself, so it could've been you for all I remember

I guess he wanted to pay homage to me :ِP
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.12.2016 - 17:15
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This isn't European power metal? Fuck it, I'm out.
----
rekt
25.12.2016 - 20:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.12.2016 at 17:15

This isn't European power metal? Fuck it, I'm out.

Pffft, non believer
----

~ II. VII
28.12.2016 - 08:23
Maratha

Interesting review like always man! A very solid release, somewhat leaning towards Altar by Sunn O))) and Boris. Giving this a daily spin as of now.
28.12.2016 - 15:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Maratha on 28.12.2016 at 08:23

Somewhat leaning towards Altar by Sunn O))) and Boris

Yeah, that similarity is definitely there as well. Probably part of the reason why I'm enjoying it so much because I love the fuck out of that album, it's one of the best of the genre and I still think possibly the best thing either band has done.
----

~ II. VII
13.01.2017 - 23:28
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
This is well written.
----
Coldgrits

Hits total: 7341 | This month: 7