Metal Storm logo
Augury (Canada)

12.04.2007 - 22:26
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer

Augury is a Canadian Progressive Death Metal band which imparts brutality with musical prowess while still leaving room for originality. Among the band's ranks, we have the bassist Dominic (Forest) Lapointe better known for his work in the also Canadian Technical Melodic Death/Thrash Metal band Quo Vadis. As far as now, the band has only released one full-length album entitled "Concealed" which has received favorable reviews.

Musically, the band can get pretty brutal which still retaining a sense for melody and even daring to explore and "risk" by adding operatic female vocals in their musical approach (see the "Beatus" song as an example). The vocals provided by Patrick Loisel switch between growls to rasped vocals to vocals that I can describe as chants, thus giving more dynamism to the mix. The drumming provided by Philipe Cousineau is over-average and intense as you could expect from any other Death Metal drummer. All in all, this band may possibly be one of those bands to carry the Canadian Metal flag for the near future.

Here is a link for the official website where you can download mp3s from:

http://www.augurymetal.com/

And also the official MySpace website where you can hear an additional track to the ones offered for download in the official website:

http://www.myspace.com/augury
----
Christless
12.04.2007 - 23:57
AntaeusM
Elite
They are okay, I wouldn't say they are carrying the "Canadian metal flag", I would still give the honour of that to uneXpect. Anyway, this band isn't bad, but even through all the creativity and orginallity, they tend to get repetitive. They have potential, but I would say they are still exploring their abilities. For now I am not that impressed by them.
18.04.2007 - 19:56
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Neither uneXpect can represent the Canadian scene all by themselves nor a single band such as Augury can. uneXpect cannot fill the place of Augury in the scene or the other way around. Augury plays in their field and so does uneXpect. Augury is far from having the "uncommonness" of uneXpect that has earned them their categorization and uneXpect, perhaps due to their level of originality and mix of style, cannot hold the flag for the Progressive Death Metal genre. That is why I did not say that Augury would be the only ones to put the face for the Canadian scene all by themselves. As a matter of fact, I said that they could possibly carry the Canadian flag in the near future so, in this context, you may agree with the potential of the band in the future and possibly having their place of importance in the Canadian scene, in spite of how I regard them right now.

Maybe, pointing out a better Progressive Death Metal band than Augury would leave them out of the picture. However, originality has been already granted and this would leave the discussion as the collision of opinions and, like asses, everyone has one.
----
Christless
24.05.2008 - 18:49
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Just discovered these guys due to an upcoming concert, lineup being Kataklysm, Martyr and Augury, can't for this show, it's going to be a fucking blast. I'm really liking Augury they have great musicianship and as mentioned there's brutality with a sense of melody, it's awesome. Figure that the vocalist/guitarist is already 38 years old, hope he has enough juice in him until at least 50 .
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
24.05.2008 - 18:58
ß
Problem?
@AntaeusM

Theyv'e only released one cd so far. You can't base a band on 1 cd it may take some bands longer to develop than others. I thought their first cd was quite good but it's nothing spectacular.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
24.05.2008 - 21:00
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by ß on 24.05.2008 at 18:58

@AntaeusM

Theyv'e only released one cd so far. You can't base a band on 1 cd it may take some bands longer to develop than others. I thought their first cd was quite good but it's nothing spectacular.

From what i heard off their first cd, it's quite amazing. I don't know if it's spectacular but i would'nt say it's that far from being so. These guys have alot of skill and creativity.

By the way, two songs from their upcoming album is on their myspace, pretty damn good.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.05.2008 - 03:00
ß
Problem?
Yea im looking forward to checking out their new cd. I hope its just as good or better than their first cd
----
09.05.2009 - 18:49
deadbydawn29
Account deleted
Concealed is a good album - it's not terrific, but it's good. It's better than what many of their contemporaries, e.g. Textures, are doing right now, and there's a clear demonstration of potential. I think they're a band worth following; I'll be looking forward to hearing their next album.
19.05.2009 - 17:33
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
If anyone wants a taste of the new Augury they have a new song up on their myspace 'Aetheral', it's fucking wild. I think Sven from Aborted does the vocals on this song, anyways it's probably the best death metal song i've heard this year until now.
----
19.05.2009 - 23:50
ß
Problem?
Written by Visioneerie on 19.05.2009 at 17:33

If anyone wants a taste of the new Augury they have a new song up on their myspace 'Aetheral', it's fucking wild. I think Sven from Aborted does the vocals on this song, anyways it's probably the best death metal song i've heard this year until now.

Damn, this makes me even more excited about the upcoming release. You're right Sven from Aborted does the guest vocals, even though I'm not a fan of Aborted I quite liked his appearance in the song.
----
21.05.2009 - 15:21
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by ß on 19.05.2009 at 23:50

Written by Visioneerie on 19.05.2009 at 17:33

Damn, this makes me even more excited about the upcoming release. You're right Sven from Aborted does the guest vocals, even though I'm not a fan of Aborted I quite liked his appearance in the song.

Yeah i'm no big fan of Aborted either but he did a good job in this song. I'm getting excited about this release, it comes out on my birthday, something's gotta give .

Check out the guitar recordings on their myspace, the whole looks very promising except for when Pat Loisel takes his shirt off, that was brutal in another sort of way.
----
01.04.2010 - 20:35
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Nice video of them here blasting the crowd live with Skyless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzI8vExWbG4&feature=related
----
02.04.2010 - 21:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I remember a couple of years ago i spent some time hunting down every unique death metal band i could in an effort to find something else akin to !T.O.O.H.! (with zero success rate by the way) but Augury were definitely one of the better and more interesting bands i stumbled upon.

I rarely listen to death metal these days unless it's especially unique (and typically non-death metal sounding) but Concealment can easily hold my attention, even if i haven't paid them much attention in recent times.