Metal Storm logo
Until Death Overtakes Me - great funeral doom - 2 free albums

23.05.2006 - 19:34
Damnated
Churchburner
Check out this band, and cherish it, cuz the music is very good. UDOM is a one man band now, consisting of Stijn van Cauter, and what I can say about this band is, that you can hear sympho elements as well as some ambient ones. You can get more info from M-A, but first listen to the music
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.05.2006 - 20:39
ylside

The actual rules in Metalstorm specify that funeral doom threads should be in the Melodic Forum.The thread was moved from the Extreme Metal forum to here.

The only album I heard was Prelude To Monolith, I absolutly love it. But couldn't get into the other athmospheric albums... there was no growls at all (I don't remember which album I've tried)
Great band nevertheless, Great funeral doom band indeed.
23.05.2006 - 20:44
Damnated
Churchburner
I noticed that also my Funeral Doom thread was moved, but I don't see funeral doom as a melodic metal egnre.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
24.05.2006 - 09:12
Vunts

Well, that's besides the point as i found out. When i saw the "funeral doom" thread moved to the melodic, i sent a pm to the moderator whos name was in the extreme sub-forum as the mover probably (Eddie). And he said that the moderators talked the stuff over and decided that funeral doom is still DOOM and thus should be in the melodic part...cos the majority of doom is melodic. The majority of the famous bands...but now that i think about it...maybe doom should even be an extreme sub-genre...AAAARGH it's all hurting by head.

As for the band in question, i would have let it slip if it weren't for the "2 free albums" notice, as i haven't seen anything up for download or in the shops. So i will be listening to the albums in a while and then giving my opinion.
24.05.2006 - 09:23
Terrorist
Account deleted
great Ambient/Funeral doom... the atmosphere is very lifeless, makes you feel like in an empty space... good music to listen at 5 am.
24.05.2006 - 09:44
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
*Doesnt understand why this is in the melodic forum as it is "extreme" funeral doom (most doom is extreme too......)*

I must say, i really do enjoy the ambient aspects of the music more than the fueral doom/extreme vocals.
24.05.2006 - 10:11
Terrorist
Account deleted
please stopt that stupid discussion... Doom Metal is melodic, most funeral doom bands are melodic and UDOM is the most melodic of them all... and I disagree with you anorexic mother, my favourite stuff on this band are the vocals, the musical parts are weak sometimes.
24.05.2006 - 12:00
ylside

Please, try to stay on-topic.
You have the "Funeral Doom" thread where you can discuss this.
24.05.2006 - 12:53
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 24.05.2006 at 10:11

anorexic mother

Lol. But I agree with you, the music is weak sometimes, but the vocals aren't that great either. Very good, but not great
----

08.06.2006 - 14:06
Vunts

O...MY...GOD! This band is simply amazing. I feel ashamed that i didn't listen to them earlier like i intended to. The first song that i heard (Silent Dreams) felt so dreamy. The atmosphere was great. Not necessarily funeral doom, but who gives a fuck!! I would give you a +1 if the feature still were here.
To this moment i have listened to three songs and only the second one had something of funeral doom in it. Well...something that is generally concidered to be funeral doom. However, the ambient music creates a feeling much much deeper than anything else...I wouldn't say they are a hard listening though. Simple good ambient. A friend in my class said something good about a song that we had to listen to at our music lesson "The music was so deep that it made me feel like it was taking a walk inside of me". I altered her quote a little, cos i didn't remember it fully, but that is what i felt like when listening to UDOM on a high volume. Shape of Despair is awesome. Thergothon has the most depressive atmosphere i ever experienced, but this...THIS is something that can't be named with one word (even if i did say something before...i may contradict myself when i'm excited)

Okay, i came to a nice funeral doom part. But...it seems too fast to be funeral doom. Reminds me of a war with armies marching (Careless Painless Far Away at about 4 minutes). Anyways, i'll stop now before i make a fool of myself (or a bigger fool than i already am...who knows)
08.06.2006 - 21:29
Damnated
Churchburner
I'm really happy to see you're exitement, and that I could bring this band to you. But I fail to see them as NOT funeral doom, I mean, shure they have a lot of ambient and sypmho sounds, but the deepness and the dream like music is pure funeral doom.
----

08.06.2006 - 22:01
Vunts

Well, the funeral feeling is best presented in their type of music. However, i have always associated funeral doom with ultra slow ultra heavy riffs (term borrowed from some other place). They rarely had that.
I think that on the second song (i don't remember the name, but the second song from the first CD) did have some parts of the purest funeral doom, like i had said before. Tomorrow i will indulge myself in a very in-depth listening though. Note that what i wrote was like, scrolling through the songs listening only about a half. I just wanted to leave a mark before doing that. Yes, funny, i know.
10.06.2006 - 19:07
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Vunts on 08.06.2006 at 22:01

i have always associated funeral doom with ultra slow ultra heavy riffs

So did I until I listened to some bands that don't use these guidelines, like UDOM. Funeral doom is mainly the dreamy atmosphere of the music, offcourse the slowness is helping here a lot. The heavyness of the riffs aren't allways present though, mainly at the more extreme bands of the genre (Tyranny).
----

14.06.2006 - 11:18
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"Lol. But I agree with you, the music is weak sometimes, but the vocals aren't that great either. Very good, but not great "

Agree with me or Terrorist?
15.06.2006 - 20:04
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 14.06.2006 at 11:18

"Lol. But I agree with you, the music is weak sometimes, but the vocals aren't that great either. Very good, but not great "

Agree with me or Terrorist?

I meant that if you listen to this band a lot, the music loses pretty much of it's magic, and becomes shallow. The music is the first thing that get's weaker, then even the vocals. This is why the band is not great. The first two/three listens are the best, but after that, the listening most stop for a day or two. Anyways, this is what I do.
----

16.06.2006 - 09:31
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"Check out this band, and cherish it, cuz the music is very good."

Well that didnt last long......
16.06.2006 - 10:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 16.06.2006 at 09:31

"Check out this band, and cherish it, cuz the music is very good."

Well that didnt last long......

Like I said, the magic is shallow.
----

17.06.2006 - 23:16
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Good music. I can't listen to UDOM every day, but I enjoy it from time to time, when I'm in the mood for it I feel like I could spend a whole day listening to their entire discography.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
19.06.2006 - 01:00
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Ive only heard/own their free albums Red and Absence Of Life. Are their non-free albums any better?
22.06.2006 - 10:22
Damnated
Churchburner
@Ba'al Peor I own 'Prelude to the Monolith' also, and it is better then the other two, but not by much.
----

22.06.2006 - 11:29
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Ok, well i might have to look into that album then. Thankyou.
12.09.2006 - 12:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just chach rthemn in MA and now I listen thos songs what you sugest, werry gret and intresting and amazing band, best belguan DOOM band, even better how Pantheist(He live in London now )
Lyrics are so dark, dramatic, poetic and sometimes hard to understnd it because belgium is not suck dark country, those lyrivs are more like from karpatian mountains and part of Romania or somewhere from that area.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2006 - 02:34
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
I just got their new album "Symphony III: Monolithe" and it's a very subtle jewel... like all UTOM albums, it doesn't show itself immediately, but grows a lot with every listen... it's more focused than the two previous symphonies, with a more haunting and depressive atmosphere, and although it doesn't reach the brilliancy of "Prelude To Monolithe", it's still highly recommended.
24.10.2006 - 13:10
Götter
"Monolith" indeed grows with every listen. And I have not heard it once or twice but many times. It keeps becoming better and better.

As far as I'm concerned, this album defines "classic" funeral doom as it's supposed to be played nowadays. Skepticism seems to be in extended sleep, so UDOM has to be the leading force.
15.10.2007 - 12:59
Esoptron
Account deleted
Xmm that is really nice...Didn't know that people are into them...I have both albums and they are very good(well it is one man band but i say''they''it doesnt matter)in the funeral doom metal kind...They dont play it the classical way as Thergothon for example have teached,everyone can notice the great doses of ambient inside their music and the sort minimal neo-classical parts...Music is very slow and depressing really...Check them
05.07.2008 - 06:54
posmoderno
Account deleted
Here I let you one 3-way split of chilean band that folloe thie musical line

FA005-1 TRINIDAD
3-way split Funeral Inconscientemente Natural / Voice Transmissions with the Deceased / Úden

tracklist:

Funeral Inconscientemente Natural
1 - Titan Transcendence (Posmodern Adaptation to In The Woods...)
2 - La Esperanza...
3 - Awakening (Posmodern Adaptation to Bitterdusk)

Voice Transmissions with the Deceased
4 - Margery

Úden
5 - Renacer II
6 - Illusion of Hope
7 - Claustrophobia

Ambient/Drone/Funeral Doom del mejor y más experiencia de Chile!

Mundo: ?8 EUR (incluye envío) - USD $12 (Incluyen envío)

Chile: $4.000

+ info en: www.myspace.com/doomfin / www.fin.funerart.org
www.funerart.org / myspace.com/funerarttheexperimentalultramodernlabel
05.07.2008 - 08:19
Vunts

Chile costs 4000$? That's cheap.

And a reminder, if you have 3 bands of the same style to recommend, you should do so in a thread that isn't dedicated to a 4th band.