Metal Storm logo
Diffrence between song and ballad

Original post

Posted by , 13.04.2007 - 03:17
the first topic i created raised a great question what is a balld and what makes it diffrent from a song? what are your thoughts?
02.11.2012 - 11:32
IronAngel

Written by Guib on 02.11.2012 at 06:14

But isn't an ''Established Term Used By Everyone'' still an opinion? isnt everything an opinion when its not concerning Physics or Maths lol

The fact that it is established is not an opinion. It is established because people who have that opinion have argued for it and use it. Not that their opinion should matter, here; it's how well it's argued, how fruitful the term is, and how much clarity or confusion it adds to language.

But yeah, you could very well change its definition. You could argue for a modified meaning, no problem. I'm not saying there's a definite meaning and that's that, at all. In fact, I imagine there are competing, slightly different definitions for the word in use. I'm saying none of us here are qualified to take part in that discussion. If we'd studied the relevant fields and were engaged in academic or public discussion about them, then we could propose better definitions. This is not the context for it, and the "arguments" presented here aren't sufficient. Not just any opinion is an argument to be taken seriously.

I would maintain that math and physics are fundamentally no different and it's just a question of degree, but that goes too far into modern philosophy of science for this topic.
02.11.2012 - 15:08
Aristarchos

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 18:04

So the concept of ballad varies from band to band, or from style to style.

I have wondered how many death metal songs there are that could be considered ballads. For me "The Black Heart" with The Crown almost could be considered as a ballad, although it is still definitely a death metal song.
04.11.2012 - 05:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Aristarchos on 02.11.2012 at 15:08

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 18:04

So the concept of ballad varies from band to band, or from style to style.

I have wondered how many death metal songs there are that could be considered ballads. For me "The Black Heart" with The Crown almost could be considered as a ballad, although it is still definitely a death metal song.

I consider Autum's Grief by Eternal Tears Of Sorrow to be a death metal ballad.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.03.2013 - 03:28
skrog1

A ballad ususally has an "accoustical" or "clean" part with actual singing and is commonly very depressing or uplifting. Ballads usually are slower in tempo and are themed around love, loss, heartache, etc.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband