02. Piercing Where They Might
03. Spectre As Valkerie Is
04. Minions
05. Paramnesia
06. This Blood Falls As Mortal Part III
07. Granite
08. Vortex Chalice
09. Fastened To The Five Points

Once in the bluest of blue moons, an album comes along that not only reminds one of the reasons why they love music, but gives reasons never before imagined. Rarely - if ever before - have inspiration and craftsmanship, atmosphere and songwriting combined as well as they do on Lurker Of Chalice.

To be honest, reviewing this album in more detail, whether praising or criticizing it, is a bit like reviewing the universe. One can point out the excellent use of samples on Lurker Of Chalice (and indeed, making Gwyneth Paltrow's voice work in an ambient metal context is worthy of all the praise in the world) like one can point out the beauty of interstellar nebulae; one can praise the amazing bass lines like one can praise Jupiter's gravity for defending the Earth from most asteroids. Those who don't like this album might dislike that it leaves the listener feeling empty and hollow (something that most fans love), but that's like criticizing the universe for being almost entirely a vacuum. Whether it's the praise or the criticism, this album is sort of immune to both, much like the universe doesn't care if we don't feel good about what it's like.

To make the review somewhat less abstract, the bottom line is that Lurker Of Chalice is a masterpiece of cosmic proportions, an album that probably won't be appreciated by most, but that should nonetheless be heard by everyone.

The astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson once said that not only are we in the universe, but the universe is in us. Well, the universe is almost entirely empty, it is a void, a monument of non-existence. Perhaps the reason why Lurker Of Chalice remains one of the greatest achievements in music history is that in addition to being impeccably crafted musically, it also reminds us that not only are we in the void, the void is within us.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Metren | 01.01.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Lucas
Rating:
Lurker Of Chalice, a name that should ring a bell for the Black metallers out there. Two completely unavailable demos, one hard-to-get full-length. A full-length that cost many Black metaller a dear buck until it was finally re-released by Southern Lord. In my opinion, Lurker Of Chalice's self-titled, début and at the same time also final album was one of the few albums on e-bay that actually deserved to be sold for more than thirty quid/bucks???. Why? Let me tell you why.

Read more ››
published 06.10.2008 | Comments (8)

Comments

Comments: 10   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 98 users
01.01.2017 - 23:32
VIG
Account deleted
11/10
01.01.2017 - 23:33
Rating: 10
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 01.01.2017 at 23:32

11/10

The album or the review?
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
01.01.2017 - 23:35
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 01.01.2017 at 23:33

Written by Guest on 01.01.2017 at 23:32

11/10

The album or the review?

Ummmm I guess both. No seriously man good review. This is one of the most PERFECT albums of all time for sure, and more people should think of it as a 10/10 and not a 9/10, because it really does deserve a 10.
01.01.2017 - 23:39
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 01.01.2017 at 23:35

Ummmm I guess both. No seriously man good review. This is one of the most PERFECT albums of all time for sure, and more people should think of it as a 10/10 and not a 9/10, because it really does deserve a 10.

Thanks and I agree completely about the album (obviously). The kind of 10/10 that makes other 10/10 look generous.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
01.01.2017 - 23:41
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 01.01.2017 at 23:39

Written by Guest on 01.01.2017 at 23:35

Thanks and I agree completely about the album (obviously). The kind of 10/10 that makes other 10/10 look generous.

Exactly.
02.01.2017 - 15:18
Mik
Account deleted
Great review! Describes it very accurately.
03.01.2017 - 02:38
Vombatus
Potorro
Such an enjoyable read. The whole description without mentioning the actual content is fantastic.

And I don't even care about reviews, as 99% of them are useless and uninteresting.

Hats off, sir.
04.01.2017 - 04:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Solid review. I like how it gives a general impression of the overall mood of the album without going into too much individual detail regarding tracks, songwriting, etc. That's more my approach to reviewing, but I definitely respect those who can still get the job done without doing that and, well... you certainly did here

LEGENDARY album, it has every right to a perfect score of 10 and if you think otherwise, you need your brain inspected to make sure no tumor is growing.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.01.2017 - 11:34
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.01.2017 at 04:29

Solid review. I like how it gives a general impression of the overall mood of the album without going into too much individual detail regarding tracks, songwriting, etc. That's more my approach to reviewing, but I definitely respect those who can still get the job done without doing that and, well... you certainly did here

A huge thanks! And a huge thank you also to everyone else for their encouriging comments. This was a review that I simply had to do, as Lurker Of Chalice is my all-time favorite album, so glad and relieved that folks seem to enjoy the review
----
28.02.2017 - 13:49
nikarg

Excellent review of an excellent album! What a fantastic journey it is to listen to it..

Hits total: 3725 | This month: 9