06. The End?
07. If I Could See You
08. Cthulhu
09. Peacemaker
10. Parasite
11. Spirit Of The Times [Sons Of Liberty cover]
12. Highwayman [Jimmy Webb cover]
13. Outro

Let me start this review by saying that I really like this album. I even prefer it over Dystopia, which is pretty good album in my opinion.

Now there are some good and bad things on Plagues Of Babylon.

First the good stuff.
- The riffs are very good overall.
- The vocals of Stu are excellent in this album. He manages to combine pure heavy metal singing with a bit of his former experience as the frontman of Into Eternity. I think the balance is just right on the album, while I sometimes didn't feel that way with Dystopia.
- The production quality is excellent. The drums sound powerful without overruling the riffs or the vocals, the riffs and bass lines get the attention they deserve on this record, and the vocals are mixed in really well.
- There are multiple songs on this record with good lyrics; songs like "Plagues Of Babylon", "Parasite", "The End?", etc. are really well-written in terms of lyrics.

But what about the bad stuff?
- Some of the riffs and overall ideas that are put into certain songs feel like they are a bit generic. As an example: the drumming on "The Culling" is amazing but I wish I could say the same about the riffs in that song, which is unfortunately not the case, I'm afraid. It still is a fun song to listen to, but mostly because of that drumming.
- The lyrics on some songs feel a bit too cheesy for an Iced Earth record. Songs like "Peacemaker" and "Spirit Of The Times" are a fine example of that.

For me, the three best songs are "Parasite", "The End?", and "Resistance" (the riff in the middle of the song is among the best you'll find on the album). The three weakest parts are, in my opinion, "Peacemaker" (too cheesy), "Spirit Of The Times" (same problem as "Peacemaker"), and "Outro" (not really a song, I know, but this is something that kind of bothered me - it's completely unnecessary to put this on the record).

Overall I think this album is definitely worth a listen. One of the strongest things about this album is the vocals. It's an interesting mix of different styles of singing into one record, something which I can really appreciate.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by tominator | 02.01.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
R Lewis
Rating:
So, Jon Shaffer and his bunch of ever-changing musicians are back in town with release number eleven, after 2011's Dystopia that finally set the bar pretty high, after maybe too many years of... well, not mediocrity, but of music that didn't live up to Iced Earth standards.

Read more ››
published 12.01.2014 | Comments (19)

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 70 users
02.01.2017 - 06:45
UPDIRNS

Your review is excellent IMO. I agree with everything you said. Very good album overall. Not great, but very good and definitely worth a listen. Especially if your an Iced Earth fan.
02.01.2017 - 07:29
Lokasenna

Spirit of the Times is from Schaffer's politically-minded solo project, hence being a bit cringeworthy.
02.01.2017 - 11:32
Rating: 8
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Lokasenna on 02.01.2017 at 07:29

Spirit of the Times is from Schaffer's politically-minded solo project, hence being a bit cringeworthy.

I didn't know that it was from his Sons Of Liberty project. That actually explains a lot.
02.01.2017 - 11:34
tominator
At best deranged
Written by UPDIRNS on 02.01.2017 at 06:45

Your review is excellent IMO. I agree with everything you said. Very good album overall. Not great, but very good and definitely worth a listen. Especially if your an Iced Earth fan.

I'm glad you liked the review and yes it's definitely worth a listen for Iced Earth fans.
02.01.2017 - 21:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Only what I like was vocals, his voice is good, if he re recordet some old songs it would be better
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2017 - 02:56
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Bad English on 02.01.2017 at 21:23

Only what I like was vocals, his voice is good, if he re recordet some old songs it would be better

That's a very fair opinion. I like the album as a whole, but I definitely agree that the vocals are the strongest thing from this album. And yes I would love to hear some versions of older songs with Stu doing the vocals.

Hits total: 2987 | This month: 4