Metal Storm logo
The roots of Black Metal (The primogenial Black Metal sound)

05.01.2017 - 21:40
LordΔgni

The roots of Black Metal [Venom,Celtic Frost,Bathory] (The primogenial Black Metal sound)

I think that there are three bands (Venom,Celtic Frost,Bathory) that they was the primogenial black metal sound pioneers , we have to value that they were the roots of Black Metal .

More later black metal as a genre was subdivided in:

Raw Black metal
Bestial Black metal
Atmospheric Black Metal
DSBM
Melodic Black Metal
Pagan Black Metal
Symphonic Black Metal

08.01.2017 - 00:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.01.2017 - 14:04
mz

Bestial BM is not a genre.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.01.2017 - 14:50
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by mz on 08.01.2017 at 14:04

LOL

Hadn't noticed that.
Anyway, yeah... I knew there was already a thread for 1st wave bm. I just wasn't being able to find it, but BE did
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.01.2017 - 14:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 08.01.2017 at 14:04

Actually it is.
It is just another name for war metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2017 - 16:17
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.01.2017 at 14:58

Actually it is.

true, but then, is war metal a genre? I thought it is an umbrella term rather than a genre.
----
08.01.2017 - 17:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Can't say I consider war metal a real subgenre. It's just a slightly different way of playing black metal with some minor death metal in it. The difference between modern black metal and 2nd wave black metal is often vastly more different than war metal is to standard stuff and it still just gets called black metal.
08.01.2017 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 08.01.2017 at 16:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.01.2017 at 14:58

Actually it is.

true, but then, is war metal a genre? I thought it is an umbrella term rather than a genre.

Loads of subgernes aren't a subgenre but more of an umbrella term, take for example NWOBHM. Nothing to do with a sound but with an ear and place of origing.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2017 - 20:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 08.01.2017 at 17:59

Can't say I consider war metal a real subgenre. It's just a slightly different way of playing black metal with some minor death metal in it. The difference between modern black metal and 2nd wave black metal is often vastly more different than war metal is to standard stuff and it still just gets called black metal.

tbh I find the term war metal a ridiculous term for a so-called subgenre. But it still exists as a name, just like bestial black metal and soemthing just as ridiculous.... NWOBHM, which is way more ridiculous as a subgenre name tbh, since nwobhm can be all over the place musically.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2017 - 22:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.01.2017 at 20:47

tbh I find the term war metal a ridiculous term for a so-called subgenre. But it still exists as a name, just like bestial black metal and soemthing just as ridiculous.... NWOBHM, which is way more ridiculous as a subgenre name tbh, since nwobhm can be all over the place musically.

I'd say it's definitely a characteristic or shade of black metal. Tbh I would probably just put it under black metal or blackened death depending on the band, and just add extra description of the war metal sound going on.
10.01.2017 - 23:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Yes, let's have a conversation that's been had a million times already, the origins of black metal. Apologies, but as an ardent BM fan I'm a lot less concerned with where the genre started out than with where it's going at the moment. It would be more interesting to consider recent stylistic evolutions in BM that have gained prominence and seen many bands further exploring such sounds, and think of what bands may have really initiated those trends. For example...

> "Slow and dissonant type black metal": Largely begun by Blut Aus Nord and Deathspell Omega, though today there are many more bands that sound like the latter than those that sound like the former.
> "Atmospheric, nature-centric black metal": This is a pretty big thing now. Largely started by WITTR and Agalloch, although WITTR were massively influenced by the sound of the little-known Weakling, so you could possibly cite them as an originator of this sound as well.
> "Cosmic black metal": You know, the trippy, ambient black metal all about space and sexual intercourse with hot Klingon women. Hard to say who the main source of this sound is... Darkspace perhaps?

And there are probably a few other trends that are out there and seen good development but that I just can't think off of the top of my head right now. "Blackgaze" is probably another.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.01.2017 - 23:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ I think Drudkh made atmo nature centric bm before Wiitr though?
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.01.2017 - 23:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I wouldn't necessarily call Weakling "little known" (check RYM, MA etc, more / comparable amounts of reviews / ratings than Lurker of Chalice, any single BaN album etc.). They're influential in their own right in general.
14.01.2017 - 00:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 10.01.2017 at 23:40

I wouldn't necessarily call Weakling "little known" (check RYM, MA etc, more / comparable amounts of reviews / ratings than Lurker of Chalice, any single BaN album etc.). They're influential in their own right in general.

True. Comparatively speaking, perhaps? I'd definitely say more metallers know the name of Wolves In The Throne Room, or Drudkh as Karlabos suggested, than of Weakling
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.01.2017 - 22:51
Fiendfyre

Any genre involving more than two words is ridiculous to start with in my opinion!
15.01.2017 - 03:31
mz

That is ridiculous IMO.
----
15.01.2017 - 04:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by mz on 15.01.2017 at 03:31

That is ridiculous IMO.

What is ridiculous? A genre of more than two words? Or the fact that Fiendfyre thinks a genre with more than two words is ridiculous?
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.01.2017 - 09:27
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Does the 2 words include 'metal'?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.01.2017 - 17:31
mz

Written by Karlabos on 15.01.2017 at 04:07

Written by mz on 15.01.2017 at 03:31

That is ridiculous IMO.

What is ridiculous? A genre of more than two words? Or the fact that Fiendfyre thinks a genre with more than two words is ridiculous?

the fact that Fiendfyre thinks a genre with more than two words is ridiculous
----
17.01.2017 - 20:34
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Fenriz from Darkthone made a good video on how the sound was evolved. I'd point to that instead of arguing on how it became what it is now, as the man was breathing black metal just when I was just born

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcKwOopDHFM
----
20.01.2017 - 17:10
DoomGuild
Account deleted
I think more so the roots of black metal started with bands like Amebix and others during the start of the crust punk phase.