04. Out of the Shadows
05. Dragons Are Real
06. Inside Your Head
07. Be Strong
08. Thank You For The Day
09. Your Lies
10. Desperate Times
11. You'll Never Sleep

Bob Catley has one of the best voices in Progressive music let me tell you, it's a mix between James LaBrie and Glam metal, it's just marvelous how he manages his vocals actually, very uplifting to say the least. I say this because forever I've admired this band for their main brain, a smart guy who has carved all of the Magnum albums in stone, "Princess Alice And The Broken Arrow" isn't an exception, this album shows a thicker band with a very complex musicianship after so many years of being active.

This new album just delivers what their 80's albums used to; it's not anything totally new, but it's something that every single one of their fans must own and hear, newcomers won't fully understand the power of this band until they first hear albums like "On A Storyteller Night" or "Kingdom Of Madness" which unquestionably stand out from the rest of this band's roster.

"Princess Alice?" is another step towards a more metallic sound, the guitar-work (specially the riffing) gets a Power Metal feeling that surrounds the whole background with heavy structures and stronger vibes, still the complex execution and the incessantly technical songwriting immediately comes into the picture as the "main character", multifaceted patterns, gruesome chords and layered music wraps each track tightly and solidly like an unbreakable construction.

So, a great album, the question is ¿do you actually know and love Magnum? If you do, then there's no doubt, you must buy this album as soon as possible; but if you don't know this band you just won't understand its concept, and believe me, you seriously need to be fully into Magnum to appreciate their music.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 13.04.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 38 users
13.04.2007 - 12:53
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Nice to see you review this kind of albums I'll check it out!

Hits total: 7149 | This month: 9