Metal Storm logo
Pillorian - Debut First New Song

After what seemed like a long wait, Pillorian have finally released their first new song, "A Stygian Pyre." After the split of Agalloch last May, we are finally able to hear what front man John Haughm has been up to. The 5-minute song has some familiar Agalloch sounds but is most definitely a different beast altogether.

Pillorian will be releasing a 7″ single featuring their new song along with an exclusive B-side track on February 10th. "A Stygian Pyre" is also the first single off of their debut album, Obsidian Arc, which is due on March 10th via Eisenwald. The new song is streaming exclusively at this location.

Source: stereogum.com
Band profile: Pillorian
Posted: 10.01.2017 by ProgVet

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 13   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 149 users
10.01.2017 - 20:24
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This is great, didn't expect so much... black metal in this.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
10.01.2017 - 20:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It started a bit rawaish, like 1397, Gorgaroth, Marduk , BM what I dislike and consider as boring , but later this song was a bit in atmospheric road , as old Aggaloch in 1-2 albums, old sound, I suppose it will be interestring, who will win MS BM award this or Falls Of Rauros
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.01.2017 - 21:32
cobrapel
Concept One
Nothing special
10.01.2017 - 21:55
Jagsey

Hopefully the rest of the album will include a more folk and atmospheric sound, this particular song has too much black metal for my liking. Not bad though.
10.01.2017 - 22:29
Jiri

This is way to black metal. I love BM, but I expect more creativity from Haughm. I understand not wanting to produce a carbon copy of Agalloch, but please don't produce a carbon copy of the typical BM sound. Hopefully, this is the "trvest" track on the album.
10.01.2017 - 22:33
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Jiri not refering to himself as a third person? Now that's new...
The song, by the other hand, is nothing new... One would expect an ex-Agalloch member to write some folky atmo bm or at least folky doom, but...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.01.2017 - 23:31
Jiri

Written by Karlabos on 10.01.2017 at 22:33

Jiri not refering to himself as a third person? Now that's new...
The song, by the other hand, is nothing new... One would expect an ex-Agalloch member to write some folky atmo bm or at least folky doom, but...

Jiri completely agrees.
11.01.2017 - 02:05
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Karlabos on 10.01.2017 at 22:33

One would expect an ex-Agalloch member to write some folky atmo bm or at least folky doom, but...

This song not going down that path was actually a positive surprise for me. The last Agalloch album was subpar so the whole thing needed a bit of a shake-up, even if it leans a bit more towards traditional black metal.
11.01.2017 - 03:12
Malignar

Good surprise for a fan of the more aggressive forms of metal. Also not shocked that people on this site don't like this. After reading the comments you would think he released a Dark Funeral song. The "blasting" part of the song is like 1/5 of the song...damn people. He goes into atmospheric mode for the last half of the song...you would think that would appease this crowd, guess not.

Overall, not a great blasting aggressive black metal song (I don't think the drummer has much experience in the style), but a step in my more preferred direction.
11.01.2017 - 04:36
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I'm happy it's not simply a carbon copy of Agalloch, seeing as the quality of the band had declined slightly towards their end. However, this wasn't anything particularly spectacular, which is a tad disappointing seeing as Haughm is one of my favorite songwriters. It's a good track, but I suppose I expected a bit more.
11.01.2017 - 22:41
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
I expected it to be a more evolved and simplified version of John's former giant.
*Wesley Snipes' epic introduction in Demolition man coughs* Shhheeeit...

That was so fucking plain dire bad it was a third rate tedious copy of the more blacker side to Agalloch found in From Of Which This Oak/Marrow Of The Spirit/ Faustian Echoes.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

14.01.2017 - 11:58
nikarg

Written by Malignar on 11.01.2017 at 03:12

Good surprise for a fan of the more aggressive forms of metal. Also not shocked that people on this site don't like this. After reading the comments you would think he released a Dark Funeral song. The "blasting" part of the song is like 1/5 of the song...damn people. He goes into atmospheric mode for the last half of the song...you would think that would appease this crowd, guess not.

Overall, not a great blasting aggressive black metal song (I don't think the drummer has much experience in the style), but a step in my more preferred direction.

Totally agree with you. For those who wanted Agalloch part 2 it's too aggressive and for trve black metal fans it's too atmospheric. For me it's a very nice mix. I actually think the song is excellent and I would love it if the whole album is like this. The drummer is Trevor Matthews from Uada and he is very good I think.
06.02.2017 - 10:06
essbee

Wow that song is amazing, really looking forward to the album. As a fan of both black metal and agallochy atmospheric style, this is right up my alley!

Hits total: 3092 | This month: 8