Metal Storm logo
Finntroll vs Korpiklaani

Original post

Posted by Robstar, 14.04.2007 - 03:20
A battle of Vikings... a battle of folk ... I must say Finntroll because their speed and almost drunken metal encouter with folk...
Roar back ...
16.01.2009 - 23:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by necrovamp on 16.01.2009 at 16:28

lol you obvisouly arn't into real folk music then. try sa dingding (african folk artist) (schelmish - german folk band) or saor patrol (means freedom patrol - scottish folk band)

in response toy our 'i havent been into metal for a while' ive been listening for about 9 years. i still dont think nine years is not long enough but its longer than say 3.
im also very lazy when it comes to putting bands in genres theres so many stupid genres out there i have 2 catergories 'screamy' which includes bands like ensiferum, children of bodum, fintroll and etc and non screamy korpiklaani, blind guardian, edguy. im fed up of calling bands 'blackend brutel power metal with extreme vocals and blues influnees' - i have seen this used before, not ont his site.

i do like fintroll, though i noly recently got into them i only ahve 2 albums will get more.

but i find korpiklaani to be a nicer easier band to lisen to. mainly cus the musc is simple. i admit the singer is quite bad. i only really listen to the 1st 2 albums and korven kunningas.

there arnt that many songs actully about beer about 6 i think, 1 on each album, most of their songs bieng about the land around them.

i also have to say when they played bloodstock alonside fintroll, fintroll were ok but korpiklaani were just soo much better, they ahd a bigger crowd too. though i ahve to admit this was proberly due to the song happy little bozzer that even im fed up with!

i admit korpiklaani songs can sound the same except to the conniseur. i dunno if your a fan of ac dc but their songs are the same and hardley anyone cares.

sorry if you cant read the post, im slightly drunk and its making me not spell right.

at the end of the day i prefer listening to korpiklaani over fintroll but i do like fintroll every now and again.

'Twas only a joke about the whole "Not being into metal for very long", I've just only heard my mother use the words "screamy metal". I've seen both Finntroll and Korpiklaani, though I was a tad bit disappointed in the Finntroll gig, Korpiklaani was dreadful apparently. I say "apparently" because I already disliked them, but even some friends of mine who are fans of the band ended up walking out halfway through their set. Yes I sort of am an AC/DC fan, the only reason I'm not a big fan is the reason you stated above.

BTW-'blackened brutal power metal with extreme vocals and blues influences'? What bands? I'm always looking for blues-influenced metal, this sounds interesting.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.01.2009 - 17:01
necrovamp
Written by Doc G. on 16.01.2009 at 23:31

Written by necrovamp on 16.01.2009 at 16:28

lol you obvisouly arn't into real folk music then. try sa dingding (african folk artist) (schelmish - german folk band) or saor patrol (means freedom patrol - scottish folk band)

in response toy our 'i havent been into metal for a while' ive been listening for about 9 years. i still dont think nine years is not long enough but its longer than say 3.
im also very lazy when it comes to putting bands in genres theres so many stupid genres out there i have 2 catergories 'screamy' which includes bands like ensiferum, children of bodum, fintroll and etc and non screamy korpiklaani, blind guardian, edguy. im fed up of calling bands 'blackend brutel power metal with extreme vocals and blues influnees' - i have seen this used before, not ont his site.

i do like fintroll, though i noly recently got into them i only ahve 2 albums will get more.

but i find korpiklaani to be a nicer easier band to lisen to. mainly cus the musc is simple. i admit the singer is quite bad. i only really listen to the 1st 2 albums and korven kunningas.

there arnt that many songs actully about beer about 6 i think, 1 on each album, most of their songs bieng about the land around them.

i also have to say when they played bloodstock alonside fintroll, fintroll were ok but korpiklaani were just soo much better, they ahd a bigger crowd too. though i ahve to admit this was proberly due to the song happy little bozzer that even im fed up with!

i admit korpiklaani songs can sound the same except to the conniseur. i dunno if your a fan of ac dc but their songs are the same and hardley anyone cares.

sorry if you cant read the post, im slightly drunk and its making me not spell right.

at the end of the day i prefer listening to korpiklaani over fintroll but i do like fintroll every now and again.

'Twas only a joke about the whole "Not being into metal for very long", I've just only heard my mother use the words "screamy metal". I've seen both Finntroll and Korpiklaani, though I was a tad bit disappointed in the Finntroll gig, Korpiklaani was dreadful apparently. I say "apparently" because I already disliked them, but even some friends of mine who are fans of the band ended up walking out halfway through their set. Yes I sort of am an AC/DC fan, the only reason I'm not a big fan is the reason you stated above.

BTW-'blackened brutal power metal with extreme vocals and blues influences'? What bands? I'm always looking for blues-influenced metal, this sounds interesting.

Oddly enough It was used to describe soulfly of all bands lol. though you could try bands like 'wolf' their slightly rock/blues but mostly power metal, 'wayne' though their mostly rock if you like blues rock then if you haven't already check out Joe Bonamassa, he is exellent.

lol my friend wont listen to any metal with screaming in, if it has a slight hint of a gruff voice he wont listen to it, it has to be a huge operatic kicked in the balls singer or he says its shit.

I think Fintrolll lose somethng when they play ive cus they were using keyboards instead of the trad intsruments, i have also heard most of the time korpiklaani are pretty mediocre live, perhaps i was lucky.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
17.01.2009 - 22:11
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Finntroll use a wide variety of keyboard effects, which makes every song unique and surprising. I usually prefer real folk instrumentation, but Korpiklaani always sound the same, especially on their last two albums. Korven Kuningas goes by without you even noticing the different tracks...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
23.01.2009 - 21:07
bard
I have to say that I marginally prefer Finntroll to Korpiklaani. I say this because I can only listen to about two or three korpiklaani songs in a row without skipping around between songs, just because they are so damn repetitive. Finntroll always finds ways to surprise or entrance me, and have a huge variety of songs. For instance, can listen to Visor om Slutet, my favorite of their works, if I want something creepy/folksy or ambient, or I can listen to Nattfodd or even their new album for more aggressive songs. Finntroll also just make more interesting albums, which always feature captivating intros, outros, random, unpredictable diversions to 'trolliness', and an overall flow from one song to another (in contrast to Korpiklaani, who are more often create collections of songs). I've made playlists primarily of Finntroll's ambient, atmospheric material for reading or writing, thanks to some really inspiring tracks like the outro in Jaktens Tid and Rok from Nattfodd.

To be fair, Korpiklaani has some similar songs as well, like With Trees and Mother Earth, but they aren't as interesting and seem play out more predictably. Some of my favorite moments of Finntroll's involve Jonne's yoiking, which I think he should do more in Korpiklaani. Yes, the folk instruments create a more pleasing sound, but due to a lack of creativity in the song writing, this in my opinion detracts from the music more than it benefits it, because you know exactly what sounds and limitations to expect from each song.

I'm starting to ramble...essentially, if you listen to Visor om Slutet, the comparison to me is in Finntrolls favor.
----
08.07.2010 - 04:12
wormdrink414
Elite
Korpiklaani is the most repetitive, tedious bands I know. Finntroll wins by default. Neither put on interesting shows, but Finntroll's vocalist has more energy than all of Korpiklaani combined.
18.07.2010 - 04:33
akvan
Finntroll is better, no korpiklaani is better,i don't know who is better
who is better
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
30.06.2011 - 01:49
Damshak
Korpiklaani is better